Thread: What semi pro camera do you suggest I get?

Default What semi pro camera do you suggest I get?

I would be getting a camera soon that will be used for memories sake, so events and all. I'm looking for a camera below DSLR standard, budget ~$700. Can anyone please advise me on a suitable camera model? Also, I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand one, is that advisable? Thanks!
    Last edited by Shellxxx; 30th December 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wrong info previously

Default Re: What semi pro camera do you suggest I get?

Semi-pro and $700? Certainly, please have a look at Buy & Sell here.
    Apart from this, please do yourself a favour reading the newbies guides we have here. You seem to need, badly.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...amera-buy.html
    EOS

There are plenty to choose from. Advanced compacts like g15, s110, lx7, xz2, xf1 etc. And also mirrorless cameras epl3, gf5, sony nex etc.

For average use, most of these model are good.

@octarine - Hi, thanks for the reply I've actually read that thread already but it doesn't answer my question of which model to get. I'm sorry if this question seems stupid or what, but I just need a gauge of which models are recommended and also the price range for the item. Sorry for asking, but is $700 too low for a semi pro camera? Thanks for your reply!

@trd2970 - Thanks, what is the average price for those models?
    Last edited by Shellxxx; 24th December 2012 at 08:18 PM.

"I would be getting a camera soon that will be used for memories sake." - Quote from TS

hmm..with $700..Its enough to get a advance and good Compact PNS camera. Or older model of Oly Pen camera.
    Good enough for your intended usage.
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 24th December 2012 at 08:27 PM.

@Shellxxx - There are multiple models of semi-pro cameras around. Of which, you would never be able to get for $700. Approximate price of these camera bodies alone would be anywhere from 1k to 2k.

I would suggest that you use a entry level DSLR or those advanced compacts. It's not the camera, but the camera man who takes great shots

Quote Originally Posted by Shellxxx View Post
    @octarine - Hi, thanks for the reply I've actually read that thread already but it doesn't answer my question of which model to get. I'm sorry if this question seems stupid or what, but I just need a gauge of which models are recommended and also the price range for the item. Sorry for asking, but is $700 too low for a semi pro camera? Thanks for your reply!

@trd2970 - Thanks, what is the average price for those models?
    Under 700 brand new

Top up $100 u can get a 5D classic.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-s...-mark-1-a.html

But no lens, so you would have to get a lens yourself. Maybe a 50mm f1.8 (1xx brand new)?

Trust me, 5D classic at that price is the cheapest FF you will ever get.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

I guess ts is looking for semi pro camera, not necessarily semi pro dslr.

700 won't get u anywhere near a 3 year old semi pro dslr body. So I don't think it makes sense to explore this option. Plus the lens & other accessories and we will be looking at another 1k.

Advanced pns is my recommendation for ts's photography needs. Although I must say that 1k for 5dmk1 is a good deal.

any idea if Samsung Galaxy Camera is within budget? i had some time with it last week night and literally had to tear myself away
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    any idea if Samsung Galaxy Camera is within budget? i had some time with it last week night and literally had to tear myself away
    Rrp is 699 iirc so it should fit the budget. But I read that battery life is really bad.

Nikon F2.

TS, almost all cameras nowadays will suffice if you learn how to use it.

Semi pro does not mean semi pro photos.
    A canon 5D is pro class camera and can be had for near your budget.
    But its AF, DR, high ISO, PP tolerance can be more restrictive compared to some newer non-pro cameras.
    But if you know how to use it, it can still give very nice o/p.

So I'd just ask you to get a new or recent dslr within your budget.

There is no hard and fast rule. Read the thread again, and maybe also the other sticky ones about camera selection in general. Define your needs, define your tolerances for all those topics listed there. A few questions: is the size and weight of a DSLR acceptable to you? Do you see yourself advancing further into that hobby (and learning a few things) or do you expect the camera to do the job when pressing the shutter button? Is capturing memories jst 'snap anyhow' or do you want to spend some time into 'making good pictures'?
    As mentioned already, maybe your idea of 'semi-pro' needs some revision. Many compact cameras are able to produce pictures that cannot be easily told apart from those of high end cameras - especially when using it during daylight.
    EOS

most cameras nowadays works great, but what kind of semi pro you're talking about? mirrorless dslr, dslr, pns, etc? My first cam 11yrs ago was an Olympus d510 with only 2mp, but it managed to win me 1st prize for my donkey photo, I don't think it matters what brand, just what brand you prefer...

If need new set, can try Nikon d5100 or Olympus epl5.

For second hand, try Nikon d7000.

If die die $700, then go browse around the buy n sell section in Clubsnap. This price can get 2nd hand d5100 or d90 n some mirrorless cameras.

Btw you are using the term semi pro too loosely.
    Last edited by sin77; 26th December 2012 at 07:50 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

I would be getting a camera soon that will be used for memories sake, so events and all. I'm looking for a semi-pro camera, budget ~$700. Can anyone please advise me on a suitable camera model? Also, I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand one, is that advisable? Thanks!
    Sounds to me that a camera phone is enough for your needs. Really...

However, if you do wish to get a dedicated camera that's significantly better than a camera phone, check out canon s100/110, canon g12/g15/g1x, Fuji xf-1, panasonix lx-7, Sony rx100, and the equivalent Nikon n Olympus offerings (which I'm not familiar with). Some of them may require u to stretch your budget, but it will be worth it.

Personally, the RX100 and xf-1 are my top picks
    hi

Hi all, thank you for your reply. I think I phrased my post wrongly. By semi-pro I actually meant cameras a level below DSLR! Thanks though

@trd2970 - Thanks, yes I didn't mean semi-pro DSLR...

@sin77 - Yes, I realised that after seeing how many people seem to reply with sarcastic comments... Nikon D7000 seems good enough, is it advisable to get 2nd hand?

@silvermoon1407 - Will check out those models, thanks!

Basically, I'm looking for a camera slightly cheaper than an actual DSLR as I have no intent to get a DSLR, I'm sorry if my post was not clear, I didn't mean semi-pro DSLR!

Prosumer cameras rarely cost less than 700 - if they do, you will usually lose image quality, etc.
    Alpha