Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Which lens to get?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Which lens to get?

    As stated above, I'm wondering which lens should I get together with my first dslr? As I've watched many videos on Youtube, most telling me not to get the kit lens as when I progress I'll need to change lenses already so might as well get a decent first lens and save the money in the future. I'm thinking of getting the dslr body together with either Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (hopefully there's PWP). Any users of these two lenses feel free comment too!

  2. #2
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    no pwp for 3rd party lenses.

    get the kit lens first. many videos on youtube, are advertisers. you might very well quit photography tmr and also pointless to hold such a good lens

    don't invest in something you don't need yet. one step at a time.

    i went through a lot of cameras and lenses (mostly loaned from school), before i committed myself to buying 1 set.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 23rd December 2012 at 10:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    no pwp for 3rd party lenses.

    get the kit lens first. many videos on youtube, are advertisers. you might very well quit photography tmr and also pointless to hold such a good lens

    don't invest in something you don't need yet. one step at a time.

    i went through a lot of cameras and lenses (mostly loaned from school), before i committed myself to buying 1 set.
    Haha actually I've been shooting on and off using my dad's DSLR for 2 years now! His was a canon 400d And that youtuber that gave this advice was Jared Polin. Usually I follow his advice on photography tips and I noticed he keeps emphasizing that if we can, don't get the kit lens. So I'm kinda in a dilemma now

    P.S I'm not saying I'm a pro or anything as I definitely have A LOT more to learn haha!
    Last edited by Zevify; 23rd December 2012 at 11:01 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Haha actually I've been shooting on and off using my dad's DSLR for 2 years now! His was a canon 400d And that youtuber that gave this advice was Jared Polin. Usually I follow his advice on photography tips and I noticed he keeps emphasizing that if we can, don't get the kit lens. So I'm kinda in a dilemma now

    P.S I'm not saying I'm a pro or anything as I definitely have A LOT more to learn haha!
    don't get the kit lens.

  5. #5

    Default

    Jared's stuff is entertaining. Haven't been watching his videos lately. If u know what u are getting into, the tamron 17-50 is a good general walkabout lens that certainly outperforms the 18-55 kit lens. If u have the budget, why not?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Honestly, I am curious why is the kit lens so bad? Can someone enlighten me?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Hmm.. I'm not really sure about the price though. Roughly how much is it? If it's too expensive then I think I'll stick to the kit lens. All the shops won't provide PWP with 3rd party lenses?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Honestly, I am curious why is the kit lens so bad? Can someone enlighten me?
    Not that it's bad. It does a decent job for the price.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Honestly, I am curious why is the kit lens so bad? Can someone enlighten me?
    save you the trouble of selling it later on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Hmm.. I'm not really sure about the price though. Roughly how much is it? If it's too expensive then I think I'll stick to the kit lens. All the shops won't provide PWP with 3rd party lenses?
    nope no PWP for 3rd party. dont remember, maybe around 600ish - 700ish.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    As stated above, I'm wondering which lens should I get together with my first dslr? As I've watched many videos on Youtube, most telling me not to get the kit lens as when I progress I'll need to change lenses already so might as well get a decent first lens and save the money in the future. I'm thinking of getting the dslr body together with either Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (hopefully there's PWP). Any users of these two lenses feel free comment too!
    The kit lens will be the best lens to start off with..if u are new.
    Dont watch or listen to too many unhealthy or misleading information.

    Sure..as you progress you might feel like you want to change..then what makes you think you wont change the 17-50 also? Seriously..if you arent very sure and know what you're getting..dont get. (There is a reason why they bundle with kit lens). Better lens yea..will give your sharper images..but not better picture. (Meaning to say if you mess up the setting or etc..it does not matter what lens you use..the shot will still be off)

    Anyway, if use properly..the kit lens can be good as well. And Yes..the kit lens are decent lens..and they are probably the most useful and affordable lens in the market.

    Of cos as the saying goes...Its your choice and money..

    Hmm.. What happen if you purchase the more expensive 17-50 and find out that 50 is too short for you. Then you need to spend even more money buying another lens. (if u go with kit lens...you will have more "cash" leftover)
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 23rd December 2012 at 11:39 PM.

  11. #11
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    don't get the kit lens.
    get the kit lens to start out. i've seen many people NOT even progressing pass kit lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Honestly, I am curious why is the kit lens so bad? Can someone enlighten me?
    the kit lens isn't bad. if i have to put it this way, its probably one of the best bang for bucks you can get around already. since you mentioned you already got the mileage, get the tamron then. your dad probably has a kit lens already no?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    113

    Default

    There is also a kit lens which is good, 15-85 kits for 7D. But I would say, figure out what you shoot generally first before you step into other lens. A kit lens may be a good start up lens to know what you need. (E.g. More DoF- get 2.8 or faster lens, need more reach? Get longer lens. Etc.)

  13. #13
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Hmm.. I'm not really sure about the price though. Roughly how much is it? If it's too expensive then I think I'll stick to the kit lens. All the shops won't provide PWP with 3rd party lenses?
    i can't recall the first hand prices. but i can throw out the 2nd hand ones (try buying 2nd hand really. all my gears now 2nd hand. its cheaper)

    a 18-55 efs should be around 150, while a 2nd hand tammy, 450-500

    mainly its the f2.8 that you are looking at. larger aperture = bigger glass = more money involved. important thing is do you need it?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Thanks for advice guys! Really appreciate it Hmm.. I'll really consider hard before throwing out my money because I'm just a 17 year old student saving up to get the camera Most probably sticking to the kit lens after all the advice here! I've just taken pictures while travelling these 2 years so if you're talking about mileage...... not really that much. At first it was just about finding a camera to use but ever since using a DSLR I've never looked back haha!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Honestly, I am curious why is the kit lens so bad? Can someone enlighten me?
    Every lens have its pro and cons. Yes, every lens.
    Kit lens is so bad if you compare it with the other (probably more expensive lenses in most cases). well. Duh..
    But for the price and normal kind of usage. Its really not that bad and at least it can take really decent/good photo with good lighting. and like i mention before its probably your most affordable and useful lens you would want to bring around.

    Its is bad because people can afford the better one or rather the condition they need to shoot or just their wants. Of cos..how much is a kit lens..how much are the better or best ones. So there..the kit lens is "bad" If you put next to them.

  16. #16
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    Thanks for advice guys! Really appreciate it Hmm.. I'll really consider hard before throwing out my money because I'm just a 17 year old student saving up to get the camera Most probably sticking to the kit lens after all the advice here! I've just taken pictures while travelling these 2 years so if you're talking about mileage...... not really that much. At first it was just about finding a camera to use but ever since using a DSLR I've never looked back haha!
    your dad 400d no kit lens meh. use that one lah... or work part time. i used to do construction work part time to supplement photography when i was still in jc. now army liao got money, but no time to spend.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    your dad 400d no kit lens meh. use that one lah... or work part time. i used to do construction work part time to supplement photography when i was still in jc. now army liao got money, but no time to spend.
    erm.. I'm not staying with my dad cause I come from a divorced family. A little inconvenient uh. Yeah working during the holidays to cover the expensive cost haha!
    Last edited by Zevify; 24th December 2012 at 12:05 AM.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Every lens have its pro and cons. Yes, every lens.
    Kit lens is so bad if you compare it with the other (probably more expensive lenses in most cases). well. Duh..
    But for the price and normal kind of usage. Its really not that bad and at least it can take really decent/good photo with good lighting. and like i mention before its probably your most affordable and useful lens you would want to bring around.

    Its is bad because people can afford the better one or rather the condition they need to shoot or just their wants. Of cos..how much is a kit lens..how much are the better or best ones. So there..the kit lens is "bad" If you put next to them.
    Hmm.. How bout shooting in overcast days or indoors with low light setting? I'm having trouble with these two lightings... Mostly is bumping up the iso right? But I'm afraid of noise later on in my photos.
    Last edited by Zevify; 24th December 2012 at 12:15 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevify View Post
    erm.. I'm not staying with my dad cause I come from a divorced family! Yeah working during the holidays to cover the expensive cost haha.

    Sorry to hear that..
    but frankly speaking..If thats the case..then my honest advice to you is all the more you shouldnt be spending those hard earn bucks on camera gear.. Sorry if it sound harsh. But pls Use or save those money for something else. (more important stuff).

    Gear..you can always buy when you start working full time or at least..next time

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which lens to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Sorry to hear that..
    but frankly speaking..If thats the case..then my honest advice to you is all the more you shouldnt be spending those hard earn bucks on camera gear.. Sorry if it sound harsh. But pls Use or save those money for something else. (more important stuff).

    Gear..you can always buy when you start working full time or at least..next time
    Haha I'm not having financial problems or anything lah. Just that I prefer to be self-sufficient when I'm getting such expensive stuff! Take too much money from my mum also not very nice too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •