Thread: Photography is dangerous

Default Photography is dangerous

Yellowstone buffalo gores photographer

Gored by a bull bison while angling for a better photograph, Minnesota man also receives criminal charges for harassing wildlife

Associated Press

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. A man angling for a better photograph of a bull bison was gored by the animal in Yellowstone National Park.

Paul Jocelyn, 37, of Albertville, Minn., sustained scrapes, bruises and a puncture wound to his thigh after the bison threw him several feet into the air.

Witnesses say the animal was grazing near a boardwalk that connects Old Faithful Lodge to the geyser when a group of people approached within 15 feet to take pictures.

Jocelyn reportedly walked around the front of the animal to see if it would raise its head for a better picture.

The bison chased him into the trees, then threw him more than 3 feet.

The animal stared briefly at Jocelyn and the others before walking away to resume grazing, witnesses told park officials.

No one else was injured.

Park rangers provided emergency medical care and transported Jocelyn to Old Faithful Clinic, where he was treated and released.

Criminal charges are pending against him for harassing wildlife. No action will be taken against the bison.

This is the second bison-goring incident this year. On June 28, 47-year-old David Havlik, of Lake Jackson, Texas, was injured by a bison grazing next to a footpath.

Park officials remind visitors that bison are more dangerous than they first appear, weigh up to 2,000 pounds and can sprint up to 30 mph.

It is against the law to approach within 100 yards of bears or within 25 yards of other wildlife in Yellowstone.

http://msn.espn.go.com/outdoors/cons.../1416254.html#

I guess he is a Nikon user, using a 24-50 F4.

Originally posted by ninelives
    I guess he is a Nikon user, using a 24-50 F4.
    use Canon then...

nothing dangerous abt photography here...
    human stupidity, however, knows no bounds and is extremely dangerous....

..NuTs..

Midnight
    Guests

Yes, this photographer should have known better than to go so near to the bull (regardless of any focal length limitation he may have had)... but what I find interesting is that the fellow was also charged for "harassing wildlife". Admittedly, this particular bull seems extremely camera-shy, to say the least, but I wonder if this means that photographing animals in general constitutes "harassment"?

Hmm... looks like we should stick with "safe" subjects like landscapes, plants and still life. At least until some venus fly trap injures another over-zealous photographer.

Do not take Robert Capa's "If your photos are not good enough, you are not close enough" too seriously.

Regards
    CK

Hi,

In case that you've mixed it up, the original was actually talking about the bison (i.e. buffalo) and not a bull. The word bull was merely to mean that it's a male bison..

In any case, the wildlife creatures such as bison and bears (as in brown, black, grizzly and polar bear) should not be approached and can be very dangerous. In the case that anyone is visiting (camping/trekking, etc) at any places with known bear activities in the future, it would certainly be advisable to read up on the do's and don'ts with regards to bears. It's definitely not as nice and cute as the teddy bear that we are used to...

KS

Originally posted by Midnight
    Yes, this photographer should have known better than to go so near to the bull (regardless of any focal length limitation he may have had)... but what I find interesting is that the fellow was also charged for "harassing wildlife". Admittedly, this particular bull seems extremely camera-shy, to say the least, but I wonder ....

wonder if he used flash?

did the flash trigger the bison off?