Thread: What is the furthest color away from White?

Default What is the furthest color away from White?

I am taking pictures of wigs on mannequin heads on white background. I am able to work very well with the extraction of most other colors of wig like red, blue, black, etc. The problem comes when the wig color is white, gray or very light blonde. Photoshop is unable to do a good job separating the hair fiber ends from the background.

I know in CGI animation, they use green background. But what color of background should I use so that it is the furthest away from white, gray or light blonde in the eyes of photoshop? I have no understanding of the color spectrum.

p.s. I have to highlight that the mannequin head sits on the table with the white paper background. The long wig fibers cast a slight shadow on the white paper background directly behind it making the extraction process even harder.

Last edited by downtown; 23rd December 2012 at 01:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the furthest color away from White?

black? i dunno also. usually, i'll do a select, and then refine slowly... i forgot what was the exact steps but you can refine via contrast one... someone taught me before.

Blog Entries

a quick google gave me this. should be similiar in method. Selecting Hair with Refine Edge in Photoshop CS5

for shooting wig like this, the best set up is place the mannequin heads on a stand, not on a table with background paper on it.

the product have to be far far far far away from the background, and you need to light the product and background separately, so you can overexposed the white background without affecting the exposure of the product, make your post production much easier.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post
    I am taking pictures of wigs on mannequin heads on white background. I am able to work very well with the extraction of most other colors of wig like red, blue, black, etc. The problem comes when the wig color is white, gray or very light blonde. Photoshop is unable to do a good job separating the hair fiber ends from the background.

I know in CGI animation, they use green background. But what color of background should I use so that it is the furthest away from white, gray or light blonde in the eyes of photoshop? I have no understanding of the color spectrum.

p.s. I have to highlight that the mannequin head sits on the table with the white paper background. The long wig fibers cast a slight shadow on the white paper background directly behind it making the extraction process even harder.

blast your background (some distance away) with bright bright light. add a rim light for shooting your wig (bounce off ceiling or directly overhead). It will catch the fibers of your wig and highlight the texture.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人