Thread: My conundrum: Upgrade to Olympus OMD or migrate to Sony RX1?

Default My conundrum: Upgrade to Olympus OMD or migrate to Sony RX1?

Posting this here as I'm asking for noteworthy opinions from fellow photographers. My current gear is my reliable Olympus EPL3 w/ Zuiko 12mm and 45mm prime lens. I'm currently feeling the 'itch' to upgrade and initially I was eyeing the Olympus OMD E-M5, but after the Sony RX1 was announced and previewed I'm now pondering if I should splurge and get the full-frame camera instead? Personally I feel both systems have their pros and cons.

1) Image Sharpness - I shoot JPEG and not RAW, based on the RX1 sample photos and my own photos from my EPL3, there's no notable difference in image sharpness unless you pixel peep
    2) Handling and controls - To me the E-M5 wins, the built-in thumb grip and external dials suits me better
    3) Dynamic range - RX1 wins easily
    4) Electronic viewfinder - available for both cameras, I've not tried the viewfinder on the RX1, but on the E-M5 I find its usable.
    5) Tilting screen - I use it fairly often on my current EPL3, the Oly E-M5 also has it but not the Sony RX1

So right now, it looks like a tie between the two cameras in terms of pros and cons. One has better performance, but the other promises better handling and usability. If anyone has any opinions or views, please let me know. Cheers!
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Well... what really matters is if you need / want interchangeable lenses or not. I don't see the rx1 as a replacement for a good camera system. Rather, it is a complementary technology
    Alpha

Default Re: My conundrum: Upgrade to Olympus OMD or migrate to Sony RX1?

If the 12mm and 45mm FOV on your EPL3 are the best focal lengths for what you shoot, I fail to see how the RX1 can replace your current setup. It is neither here nor there, not wide enough and not telephoto enough. Are you going to be okay with just FF 35mm FOV for what you shoot? If not, RX1 wouldn't even be an option. Are you bitten by the "New Camera Syndrome"?

As mentioned, there's the real question of camera vs. camera system - do you want to stick to a system or just get a camera? Unless price isn't an issue, RX1 is more than twice the cost of EM5, without adding accessories like the VF.

Image quality-wise, both are going to be a step up from your current gear, more so the RX1. Handling is subjective, only you can answer yourself, though it looks like you like the EM5 better.

Hope this helps you somehow and that you will be able to seriously consider your need/want. It's a tough balancing act, good luck on your choice.
    The camera and lens do not make bad photos, the photographer does.

You have 2 of the brightest and fastest lens in M43 system. If you shoot mostly in the day, i don't think you will see noticeable difference between your current EPL3 and the OMD.
    The money for upgrading the body can be spend getting couple more lenses. An additional 17mm or 25mm would give you a different photographic perspective.

Thanks for the answers, I'll give some additional info which I forgot to mention earlier:

Rashkae: Each to his own, I've used Canon and Olympus DSLRs before and once I switched to mirrorless, I never went back.

Chrissp: Pardon but I forgot to mention that I shoot mainly landscapes and street. I find the 12mm too wide at times, it has helped me take great photos but I'm actually going to sell my 12mm and get the new 17mm instead. That's actually very close to the 35mm FF focal length.

trelch: I do shoot mostly during the day, but at times I also shoot at night hence why dynamic range is also a major factor for me.

If u have no need for the ruggedness of om-d, don't get it. That's my opinion.

That said, rx1 is of a different league leh...

Ever considered the Fuji xe-1? Seems to me it fits your criteria more than the two mention, although it means a change of interchangeable lens system.
    hi

Actually no I'm not considering Fuji. Considering the price and limited range of lens for the Fuji X series, if I were to sell my m4/3 gear and get Fuji then I might as well buy the RX1 with the FF sensor cos price difference would be a couple of hundred only.

Logically, I would not suggest the RX1.
    Look at how Fuji X100 rapidly evolved to Xpro1 and XE1.
    So my thoughts are that the RX1 would later develop into some sort of FF MILC.

But then yours is an itch, so thats kind of beyond logics.

Get OMD now. Its price has dropped since launch.
    When the new FF MILC does come out, sell the OMD and get it or reconsider your options.
    If it does not come and you cannot tahan, sell your m4/3 for the RX1 which would have dropped in price too.