Thread: Virgin night shots, comments pls!

Default Virgin night shots, comments pls!

Just brought my newly bought S30 for its virgin photoshoot! Some are some pics

Shutter: 5s
    Aperture: 6.3
    ISO: 50
    WB: Auto

Same as above, but with bannister digitally removed.

Shutter: 2s
    Aperture: 3.2
    ISO: 50
    WB: Auto

Qn1: Assuming that increasing the shutter speed and increasing aperture size results in the same exposure, what effects does it have on the photo? (I only know abt the DOF effect of aperture size.)

Qn2: The pics above I think slightly underexposed. But increasing the exposure will cause the lights to become overexposed (though the buildings may become properly exposed). How to overcome this sort of dilema?

Any other comments to guide a newbie?

P.S.: Damn tripod I bought is "crooked", when camera mounted on it the horizon is slanted. Going back to AP to change...
    Last edited by darkness; 29th August 2002 at 08:45 PM.

you bought the nikon tripod isit?

while stopping down the aperture increases the DOF.
    for nite shoots, or with points of light.
    it'll reduce the diameter of the exposed points of light.
    as as to say car signal light trails,lam post lights & bldging lights will become thinner.

so hopefull ya can actually (and have to )expose ya frame longer,
    while having a "brighter" picture, the bldging light and other light source will not be that a "big" patch then.

haha, it's all bout trying then.
    or ya can consider shooting it in grayscale ?

Originally posted by shawntim you bought the nikon tripod isit?
    Yes, don't tell me the slanted problem is a inherent problem with the Nikon tripod...

Originally posted by tucker
    while stopping down the aperture increases the DOF.
    for nite shoots, or with points of light.
    it'll reduce the diameter of the exposed points of light.
    as as to say car signal light trails,lam post lights & bldging lights will become thinner.

or ya can consider shooting it in grayscale ?
    Oh, so that explains why the lights in the first pic seems sharper than the second pic? (Even though their exposure seems on par to me). That's a useful tip.

Shooting in greyscale for night shots IMO seems to lose its beauty, is it not??

Originally posted by darkness

Shooting in greyscale for night shots IMO seems to lose its beauty, is it not??
    No necesarily. I've seen some very good B&W night skylight shots. Stunning!!!

Yes, don't tell me the slanted problem is a inherent problem with the Nikon tripod...
    i had a problem with mine.. the base isn't strong enough to support even a 602z.. i place the tripod with 2 shortened legs on my left and the fully extended on on my right.. in this case hopefully i can get as horizontal as possible.

But think about it.. this tripod is superlight ! that's why i got it..

Originally posted by shawntim i had a problem with mine.. the base isn't strong enough to support even a 602z.. i place the tripod with 2 shortened legs on my left and the fully extended on on my right.. in this case hopefully i can get as horizontal as possible.

But think about it.. this tripod is superlight ! that's why i got it..
    Actually I was hunting for a small tripod that can go into my bag. The Nikon tripod would be perfect if it didn't have the slanting problem. I also tot of shortening 2 legs to correct the problem, but I figured that I couldn't live with that issue, so I returned the tripod to AP and top-up for a battery instead.

KelTang
    Guests

Default Re: Virgin night shots, comments pls!

Hi Darkness,

I am quite interested in buying the Canon S3 camera. Wonder if you tell me where did you buy the camera and how much did pay for it.

Thanks.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darkness
    [B]Just brought my newly bought S30 for its virgin photoshoot! Some are some pics

I got mine for $860 at AP, but I understand that some pple manage to get it at $830... Buying stuff from AP is like rolling dice lah, depends on your luck...

I think they're both very nice photos generally.

Could crop in the first shot though - the bannister in the corner can be seen.

Originally posted by Keltzar
    I think they're both very nice photos generally.

Could crop in the first shot though - the bannister in the corner can be seen.
    Thanks for the comments. I understand the problem with the first shot, but I couldn't place the tripod to "siam" the bannister. If I crop the image I will lose the river, which will make the composition pretty bad I guess. (Think will look quite weird). Maybe it's time to learn how to use the clone tool eh, Tweek???

Maybe it's time to learn how to use the clone tool eh, Tweek???
    yeah maybe u can try it and then post the masterpiece here!

Ok, editted the post to include the new "masterpiece"...

But the clone tool is a lot easier to use than I tot, but the effect not so good lah, I do until like got vertical artifacts liao.