Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: architectural + cityscapes photography #11

Quote Originally Posted by B-setting
    what is the likely cause of the colour banding? can enlighten us please? thnks.
    First google result explains it pretty well

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

Default Re: architectural + cityscapes photography #11

Quote Originally Posted by tengk View Post
    I have tweaked the keystone by leveling the horizon and having more water at the bottom of picture, looks better than before and i think the aspect ratio also appears to be a bit more pleasant.

A couple of points to note...
    1) the balance is still off.... e.g. from left to center to right....Currently my eyes is like running all over and lastly ending with the CBD with the bridge that leads me out of the frame. (If going by my eye attention rate,it's like, 5% weightage on left (outdoor theatre), 15% weightage on the MBS, 50% on the CBD and the rest to the floating sign on the water...)

2) Color Saturation. I think you have pushed the saturation on the red/orange abit too much... A closer look (since you uploaded the 100%, so I peeped in) would even see that the HSBC building have a strange orange strip which makes it feels unatural...

3) Did you use a brush to adjust the clarity or exposure of the MBS and MBFC? I see light haloing on the MBS (I'm looking at the "tip" of the "ship" and along the sides of the building) and the MBFC (along the sides of the buildings as well).

Regarding the "balance" of the frame, I would suggest abit of reading...
    - The Art of Photography: Dividing the Frame- Balance
    - The Art of Photography Learning Log: Project: Dividing the Frame - Balance
    - Photography techniques: Composition of the frame

Probably these will give you a general idea of the balancing thingy....

*btw, I think next time can upload smaller picture lar, full size take alot of time to load. A simpler way to share the picture in reduce sized is click on Share > Select Size > Choose BBCode > Copy the text in the textbox and paste into the reply box in CS*
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 6th January 2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    A couple of points to note...
    1) the balance is still off.... e.g. from left to center to right....Currently my eyes is like running all over and lastly ending with the CBD with the bridge that leads me out of the frame. (If going by my eye attention rate,it's like, 5% weightage on left (outdoor theatre), 15% weightage on the MBS, 50% on the CBD and the rest to the floating sign on the water...)

2) Color Saturation. I think you have pushed the saturation on the red/orange abit too much... A closer look (since you uploaded the 100%, so I peeped in) would even see that the HSBC building have a strange orange strip which makes it feels unatural...

3) Did you use a brush to adjust the clarity or exposure of the MBS and MBFC? I see light haloing on the MBS (I'm looking at the "tip" of the "ship" and along the sides of the building) and the MBFC (along the sides of the buildings as well).

Regarding the "balance" of the frame, I would suggest abit of reading...
    - The Art of Photography: Dividing the Frame- Balance
    - The Art of Photography Learning Log: Project: Dividing the Frame - Balance
    - Photography techniques: Composition of the frame

Probably these will give you a general idea of the balancing thingy....

*btw, I think next time can upload smaller picture lar, full size take alot of time to load. A simpler way to share the picture in reduce sized is click on Share > Select Size > Choose BBCode > Copy the text in the textbox and paste into the reply box in CS*
    Thanks a lot skystrike for a detail review of the image. I will run through all your points. Your response is most appreciated. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Howdy folks! Thanks for coming! Its intriguing to see different renditions of the same scene. Here's mine.....

cbd on the morning of 01/01/2013 by arkitectural photography, on Flickr
    Hello Kit. I was asking you about "balance" because I thought I saw a lot of empty space on the left side and tighter on the right. Now that I've had a second look, I still feel the same. Your thoughts?
    sorry folks, no photos from me as I was there for brekkie only.

Buildings I took reference from are MBFC (extreme left) and 1 George St (extreme right). Initially, I was trying to get equal amount of space from the buildings to the edge of the frame but found that the composition will look a little left heavy because MBFC appears larger because of its distance (its a larger building too) compared to 1 George St. So I gave a little more space on the extreme left. Although Furama is on the extreme right, I did not use that as a marker because its just too small in the frame. I'll end up with a left heavy composition if I did so. Further, if I were to shift more to the left, Victoria Memorial Hall gets into the frame and the tower will appear taller than Furama because of its distance. That, to me would be a sore thumb on the extreme right.

I think next time, I will try going closer to Esplanade Bridge. Maybe this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Buildings I took reference from are MBFC (extreme left) and 1 George St (extreme right). Initially, I was trying to get equal amount of space from the buildings to the edge of the frame but found that the composition will look a little left heavy because MBFC appears larger because of its distance (its a larger building too) compared to 1 George St. So I gave a little more space on the extreme left. Although Furama is on the extreme right, I did not use that as a marker because its just too small in the frame. I'll end up with a left heavy composition if I did so. Further, if I were to shift more to the left, Victoria Memorial Hall gets into the frame and the tower will appear taller than Furama because of its distance. That, to me would be a sore thumb on the extreme right.
    Okie, thanks for the explanation!

Trying out a 5x4 crop.

cbd on the morning of 01/01/2013 by arkitectural photography, on Flickr

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345