Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: ATTN:Cyclone to hit Queensland coast!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Exclamation ATTN:Cyclone to hit Queensland coast!

    Dear all Australians in CS.Please take note.!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Tracy strength cyclone heading to Qld
    13:41 AEDT Tue Mar 8 2005

    A cyclone as powerful as the storm that devastated Darwin 30 years ago was heading toward the Queensland coast, with weather forecasters unable to accurately predict where it will strike.

    Cyclone Ingrid is rated a powerful category five and has a compact centre with winds gusting up to 290kph - drawing comparisons with Cyclone Tracy, which hit Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974.

    The Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre in Brisbane said on Tuesday the cyclone was about 290km northeast of Cooktown and moving west at eight kph.

    Warning centre supervising meteorologist Phil Alford said the cyclone had a very destructive core.

    "Where Tracy was a category four, this is a category five," he said.

    "It is a deeper cyclone but with a very concentrated sort of vortex."

    advertisement




    Warnings for the far north Queensland coast between Port Douglas and Cairns are being issued every three hours.

    Mr Alford said computer models had been unable to accurately predict where the cyclone is likely to cross the coast.

    "Because of that we've got a fairly large warning zone from Lockhart River to Port Douglas," Mr Alford said.

    "But one thing is for sure. All models say it's going to cross the coast - none of them are saying it's going to turn around and head off towards New Zealand or something."

    Mr Alford said it was possible the cyclone could turn more westerly or even south-westerly and pick up speed by Wednesday, when an upper level trough that is impeding it moves away.

    Terry Dukes, the reporting officer and weather observer at Cooktown Airport, said weather conditions on Tuesday were fairly normal, but people were preparing for the worst.

    "This one's a bit spooky," Mr Dukes said.

    "The cloud hasn't moved for the last two or three hours as far as coming towards us so it tells me that whatever it's doing it's possibly going a little bit to the northwest.

    "If it keeps going that way we are happy," Mr Dukes said.

    Federal Liberal MP Warren Entsch, whose far north Queensland electorate of Leichhardt is in the path of the storm, has warned locals not to be complacent.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    End of the world is really coming soon?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Nah....it will be end of the world if there are no women, grogs and parties lor
    Last edited by Benign; 8th March 2005 at 07:47 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Thanks for the Cyclone warning.

    My cameras are all ready. They are all on tripods pointing skyward wired on synchronised triggers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Nah....it will be end of the world if there are no women, grogs and parties lor
    I think we call that End of Bachelorhood.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Dear all Australians in CS.Please take note.!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Tracy strength cyclone heading to Qld
    13:41 AEDT Tue Mar 8 2005

    A cyclone as powerful as the storm that devastated Darwin 30 years ago was heading toward the Queensland coast, with weather forecasters unable to accurately predict where it will strike.

    Cyclone Ingrid is rated a powerful category five and has a compact centre with winds gusting up to 290kph - drawing comparisons with Cyclone Tracy, which hit Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974.

    The Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre in Brisbane said on Tuesday the cyclone was about 290km northeast of Cooktown and moving west at eight kph.

    Warning centre supervising meteorologist Phil Alford said the cyclone had a very destructive core.

    "Where Tracy was a category four, this is a category five," he said.

    "It is a deeper cyclone but with a very concentrated sort of vortex."

    advertisement




    Warnings for the far north Queensland coast between Port Douglas and Cairns are being issued every three hours.

    Mr Alford said computer models had been unable to accurately predict where the cyclone is likely to cross the coast.

    "Because of that we've got a fairly large warning zone from Lockhart River to Port Douglas," Mr Alford said.

    "But one thing is for sure. All models say it's going to cross the coast - none of them are saying it's going to turn around and head off towards New Zealand or something."

    Mr Alford said it was possible the cyclone could turn more westerly or even south-westerly and pick up speed by Wednesday, when an upper level trough that is impeding it moves away.

    Terry Dukes, the reporting officer and weather observer at Cooktown Airport, said weather conditions on Tuesday were fairly normal, but people were preparing for the worst.

    "This one's a bit spooky," Mr Dukes said.

    "The cloud hasn't moved for the last two or three hours as far as coming towards us so it tells me that whatever it's doing it's possibly going a little bit to the northwest.

    "If it keeps going that way we are happy," Mr Dukes said.

    Federal Liberal MP Warren Entsch, whose far north Queensland electorate of Leichhardt is in the path of the storm, has warned locals not to be complacent.
    This is funny.

    I get Queensland cyclone warning not from ABC, SBS, Channel 9, 10 or 7, Sydney Morning Herald, Daily Telegraph, Today FM, Triple J or 2CH.

    But from a photo forum based in Singapore.

    The world is getting smaller?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    This is funny.

    I get Queensland cyclone warning not from ABC, SBS, Channel 9, 10 or 7, Sydney Morning Herald, Daily Telegraph, Today FM, Triple J or 2CH.

    But from a photo forum based in Singapore.

    The world is getting smaller?
    http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQP0005.txt
    http://www.disaster.qld.gov.au/news/...id=1014&s=scdo
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200...htm?queensland
    Last edited by Drudkh; 8th March 2005 at 09:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Nothing will frightened the pple of Queensland, as long as the local pubs is still standing ....rite?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Nothing will frightened the pple of Queensland, as long as the local pubs is still standing ....rite?
    Invasion of Southerners will frighten them.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Invasion of Southerners will frighten them.
    Give us your mud crabs and mangoes We will leave you alone

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Give us your mud crabs and mangoes We will leave you alone
    The Victorians can have the cane toads and Sir Joe Bjelke-Peterson too.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    The Victorians can have the cane toads and Sir Joe Bjelke-Peterson too.
    Guess which one will end up on the 'barbie' ?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    This is funny.

    I get Queensland cyclone warning not from ABC, SBS, Channel 9, 10 or 7, Sydney Morning Herald, Daily Telegraph, Today FM, Triple J or 2CH.

    But from a photo forum based in Singapore.

    The world is getting smaller?
    Heh.I first saw this warning from an American site.Does that further the point that the world is getting smaller?Hell yeah

    Please keep us updated of any happenings or was it just another bad forecast.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  15. #15
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Guess which one will end up on the 'barbie' ?
    Some Southerner who thinks it's a chair and sits on it?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Some Southerner who thinks it's a chair and sits on it?
    Bingo when they sold it to the Queenslanders.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Bingo when they sold it to the Queenslanders.
    And the Queenslanders pay the Southerners with banana leaves?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    And the Queenslanders pay the Southerners with banana leaves?
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.......

    The banana leaves was packed and sold in asian groceries all over town.




  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.......

    The banana leaves was packed and sold in asian groceries all over town.
    So is Victoria Bitter and Four X.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default

    So is Victoria Bitter and Four X.
    Errrrr.............those were the days

    Now is chardonnay, shiraz, pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, riesling.........

    Complimented with the abalones, king crabs from coldwater down south....

    p/s: Queenslanders still on beer and meatpies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •