Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually, depending on what you meant by general usage. I would keep the 50mm f1.4, or sell it and get the cheaper 50mm f1.8, then sell everything, including the 15-85mm and use only the 600D with a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8. It should bring your entire setup pretty light.

Or sell all your lens and get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC.
    When I refer to general use,its more for walkabout and such. I like to shoot buildings (exterior) when I have the time/chance. Thus would like to retain the 15-85mm which seems to be a more multi purpose lens.

Not sure if I will keep the 50mm f1.4. If I don't remember wrongly,used the lens for less than 10 times since I bought it 8 months back. However, your suggestion of the 600D with 50mm f1.8 will really lightly the load. Will take that into account. Thanks.

Realised that I need more than 17-50 for my shooting habit so this is out for me.
    Last edited by GhostAccord; 18th December 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post

more cost? not really i guess?.. (if u sell everything u have..according to your first post) You might still have left over. Ok worst case.. u just need to top up maybe 100 or 200 more? But IMO, it will help you alot..since you need to carry other stuff and need to take care of your kids and wife besides yourself. (Those equipment can deliver good result also. So need not worry).

a New RX100 should not cost u more than $999. Infact u can get it at $900 or below if you know where to buy or manage to get a good deal.
    The M3/4 and Mirrorless (Nex for eg. Since i use them) brand new for less than $1200.

The learning curve is not hard or very complicated..since they are not top of the line stuff with many functions and etc. Just need to get use to the button placement.
    Hmm... The thing is I am not keen to sell all my gears. Just the 70-200mm and maybe the 50mm. The 600D + 15-85mm and the flash is still serving me well and I am still at the learning stage.

Not worried that the m4/3 or mirrorless systems can't give good results. Have some friends using the OMD, E-P3 and EOS-M. They do get nice shots too.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post

Realised that I need more than 17-50 for my shooting habit so this is out for me.
    U refering to focal length range?

Well, it u dun print large prints, u can crop a lot to get more reach for web upload purpose. Unless u do birding or sports...

Sometimes, limiting ur focal range forces u to think and compose better. And the fast aperture allows u to do more things than the 15-85 can. Just saying
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post

Agree.

TS, if u want a lighter setup, yet keep ur 600D, I think it would make sense to just get a f2.8 zoom, and sell all ur other lenses. U may or may not want to sell ur 50/1.4, again its a matter of weight (and hassle of lens changing) vs what u can shoot with a 50/1.4.

With a one lens setup, u can just neck sling ur camera and carry all ur baby stuff.
    Hmm... Thought most f2.8 zoom are heavier than the 15-85mm. Not to mention a shorter focal length.

Might keep the 50mm f1.4 for low lights situation though.

I don't think its very convenient to have a DSLR hanging from my neck most of the time. My neck might break. A bag or pouch is still necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    Same situation newborn 3 yrs ago + traveling job, I went mirrorless & no turning back. Since you r already thinking of offloading 70-200, How about buying a 2nd hand mirrorless and a couple of lenses even, plus convince wife (hopefully) about no additional costs. Switch around systems if dun like, still can sell without much loss. Congrats, and enjoy the trip and seeing your baby growing up!
    My wife works in the consumer electronics industry. Not going to be easy to convince her about pricing on these camera stuffs.

Mirrorless is definitely tempting....

Quote Originally Posted by tuwinkk View Post
    if u feel comfortable with mirrorless size...u can go to mirrorless camera..
    the IQ is not a big difference to DSLR nowadays.. u can try by rent a a camera
    I also use mirrorless camera as my 2nd camera just haven't found the right lens...
    That's a good idea. Guess will see if I csn rent a mirrorless to try. And if I do change, gonna go through the process of finding a suitable lens .... Again ....

Quote Originally Posted by HighTone View Post
    Congrats to you. I have a baby girl 7 months ago and I'm still carrying D7000 with various lenses. I do agree weight is an issue, thus, I got myself a trolley bag to roll around. else just a body and lens will do. still ok.. so... if you ask me, I'll say stay put.
    Your trolley bag is just for the camera stuffs or includes the baby stuffs? Is it inconvenient to have to lug around both the trolley bag and baby bag?

Would like to stay put too. But will still need a smaller bag than the current Fastpack 350AW as my 70-200mm have been sold!

U refering to focal length range?

Well, it u dun print large prints, u can crop a lot to get more reach for web upload purpose. Unless u do birding or sports...

Sometimes, limiting ur focal range forces u to think and compose better. And the fast aperture allows u to do more things than the 15-85 can. Just saying
    Yupz, was referring to the focal length. I don't usually do prints for my photos. Don't have the luxury of space to display them.

Not into birding or sports either. The 15-85 is not suitable for them too.

Would like to get a 17-50 or 17-55 to re-evaluate my thoughts on them but doubt I will have the time in the near future. But definitely worth to try if I can squeeze out half a day or so....

Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

More buying to get lighter?

I beg to differ.
    Keep your stuff for now.
    All of the lenses will come to use in time if you take the effort and also begin to take photos of your child.

Your current lenses are not exactly that big/heavy compared to other f2.8 zooms from Canon.
    Just choose to bring the right lens out for the day.
    Cross sling your camera/bag.

My sling bag carries 1 body, 3 lenses and often a flash and some filters plus cleaning kit.
    Diapers and day clothes/towel, water bottle, tissues/wet wipes.
    Cross sling, sling to the front, change shoulders, - do these often before your shoulder scream for help and you should be fine.

Other option is to put baby stuff in a haversack and camera w/ one lens in a small camera bag or waist type camera bag.
    My few cents.

Congrats on the baby
    Last edited by pinholecam; 18th December 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Alternatively, do physio-style exercises and get urself fit to carry ur baby stuff and a 1Dx + 70-200/2.8
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    More buying to get lighter?

I beg to differ.
    Keep your stuff for now.
    All of the lenses will come to use in time if you take the effort and also begin to take photos of your child.

Your current lenses are not exactly that big/heavy compared to other f2.8 zooms from Canon.
    Just choose to bring the right lens out for the day.
    Cross sling your camera/bag.

My sling bag carries 1 body, 3 lenses and often a flash and some filters plus cleaning kit.
    Diapers and day clothes/towel, water bottle, tissues/wet wipes.
    Cross sling, sling to the front, change shoulders, - do these often before your shoulder scream for help and you should be fine.

Other option is to put baby stuff in a haversack and camera w/ one lens in a small camera bag or waist type camera bag.
    My few cents.

Congrats on the baby
    Have just sold the 70-200mm f4 IS earlier today to my colleague. Had the lens for 6 months but only used it once and it was just for an hour out of the 5 hours I was out.

Will most probably just retain the rest of my gears as they are quite suitable for general / walkabout use with a cropped body.

You are right to say that my existing gears are not that big/heavy when compared to other f2.8 zooms (17-55mm and 24-70 comes to mind). Even if I do just choose the 'right' lens for the day, will still need either a smaller bag for just body+lens.
    Not keen on a sling/shoulder bag due to a bad shoulder. Even the bag which I bought to hold baby stuffs is a backpack/haversack.

Any recommendation on a small camera bag or waist type camera bag?

Thanks for the congratulations.

Alternatively, do physio-style exercises and get urself fit to carry ur baby stuff and a 1Dx + 70-200/2.8
    Went through 2 years of physio during my NS days after the injury but didn't help much. :X

1Dx + 70-200 f2.8 will break me. hahahaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord

I think the 6D is heavier and bigger than the 600D. For no flash, can just disable the flash for 600D in the menu?
    My wife have a PnS already. That's why I am keen to keep my 600D. And between the 3 lenses I have, the 15-85mm seems to be better for general use?
    Don't worry. The 6D is a very safe camera as there is no flash to pop up !
    Go to store to try out the combo size and weight. When your child grow up, you can always add on a zoom like the new 24-70 F4.
    If you must keep your 600D, mounting the same pancake lens will have fov about 60mm, not 40mm.
    I think you know, it is the lens that is bulky and heavy, not so much on the body right.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

600D with the 15-85 isn't that much to carry lah. I am sure when you are into some serious shooting, you are not bringing your baby along. However, I would say, it is important to capture all the great times you have with your newborn. Once they have grown up, you will not be able to rewind and figure out the moment you had with them together.

Mine was during the film age and whatever I had, it always bring back fond memories. Wait till they are flash during their wedding. Hope you have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
    Have just sold the 70-200mm f4 IS earlier today to my colleague. Had the lens for 6 months but only used it once and it was just for an hour out of the 5 hours I was out.

Will most probably just retain the rest of my gears as they are quite suitable for general / walkabout use with a cropped body.

You are right to say that my existing gears are not that big/heavy when compared to other f2.8 zooms (17-55mm and 24-70 comes to mind). Even if I do just choose the 'right' lens for the day, will still need either a smaller bag for just body+lens.
    Not keen on a sling/shoulder bag due to a bad shoulder. Even the bag which I bought to hold baby stuffs is a backpack/haversack.

Any recommendation on a small camera bag or waist type camera bag?

Thanks for the congratulations.

There are a few options for waist type bags.
    Lowepro and Tamrac have them. Just check them out in a shop that carries these two brands.
    I have a Lowepro one but I don't recall the model (don't keep track of this sort of stuff, as a bag is just a bag to me)

They keep the weight distributed from waist down, which is what I like about them.
    BTW, get one that has a shoulder sling too. It makes it easier to get stuff off the bag.

My situation similar and a bit diff..... similar as in got my 2nd kid recently..... so when going out.... need a light set up.... so got myself a OMD with 12-35mm and 25mm.... but at the same time.... wanted a more "serious" body for more "serious" shooting when shooting event or my kid when I intend to send for larger print...... likely will be prime setup..... dont know what DSLR body to get???

Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    My situation similar and a bit diff..... similar as in got my 2nd kid recently..... so when going out.... need a light set up.... so got myself a OMD with 12-35mm and 25mm.... but at the same time.... wanted a more "serious" body for more "serious" shooting when shooting event or my kid when I intend to send for larger print...... likely will be prime setup..... dont know what DSLR body to get???
    yr OMD is good enough loh... its not "serious" enough?

Quote Originally Posted by HighTone View Post
    yr OMD is good enough loh... its not "serious" enough?
    sometime find slow in AF that's all... on the whole, for general and street shooting, very good..... and also a bit of BBB virus... ... will get the 45mm and try out... heard good for Potrait.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    600D with the 15-85 isn't that much to carry lah. I am sure when you are into some serious shooting, you are not bringing your baby along. However, I would say, it is important to capture all the great times you have with your newborn. Once they have grown up, you will not be able to rewind and figure out the moment you had with them together.

Mine was during the film age and whatever I had, it always bring back fond memories. Wait till they are flash during their wedding. Hope you have a great time.
    Agree that 600D + 15-85mm is not that heavy. Just lioking for suggestion/advice on how to carry this set of gear together with the baby bag.

Also agree that it is important to capture all the moments when possible as time cannot be re-wind.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

There are a few options for waist type bags.
    Lowepro and Tamrac have them. Just check them out in a shop that carries these two brands.
    I have a Lowepro one but I don't recall the model (don't keep track of this sort of stuff, as a bag is just a bag to me)

They keep the weight distributed from waist down, which is what I like about them.
    BTW, get one that has a shoulder sling too. It makes it easier to get stuff off the bag.
    Did thought of trying the bags at the shop. But that will only help to know which bag is a good size to fot the gears. Was hoping for advice from people who have actually went through this situation and can suggest what bags they used.

Will keep in mind your suggestion on beltpack with shoulder sling. I think it will help to ease the weight off the shoulder but not concentrate the weight on the waist only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast