Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

  1. #1

    Default Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Hi All

    My current gears are as follows: Canon 600D with grip, 15-85mm with hood, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f4 IS with hood and 580 EX2. Have plans to down size my stuffs to just the Canon 600D (less grip) and 15-85mm with hood as I have no time for shoots due to heavier workload and a upcoming baby. Currently the gear carrier is a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 350AW. Need some advice on the type of carrier/bag after down sizing.

    In the near future, other than the camera bag, I will have to carry a diaper/baby bag (backpack style) which is similar in size to my current camera bag. Don't think I can handle so much stuffs. Shoulder bags are out due to an old shoulder injury.

    Was looking at just getting a neoprene pouch for the 600D with 15-85mm mounted and then put the whole thing into the diaper/baby bag. Is this a feasible solution?

    Please advise and thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default

    I would suggest holding on to ur gear now, wait for next generation Eos M, and get it with adaptor for ur lenses and sell ur 600D. Or get the current Eos M if u can't wait.

    If weight is the main factor, I would also consider selling everything and switch to a mirrorless, canon or otherwise.

    Many a time, ppl shoot less frequent due to weight. U will realise u start shooting more when u downsize ur gear. Your current bag is fine. Just use the extra space for personal stuff when u downsize..
    hi

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    I would suggest holding on to ur gear now, wait for next generation Eos M, and get it with adaptor for ur lenses and sell ur 600D. Or get the current Eos M if u can't wait.

    If weight is the main factor, I would also consider selling everything and switch to a mirrorless, canon or otherwise.

    Many a time, ppl shoot less frequent due to weight. U will realise u start shooting more when u downsize ur gear. Your current bag is fine. Just use the extra space for personal stuff when u downsize..
    Thanks for your suggestion.

    Even if I were to hang on to my gears, I won't be able to bring all of them out with the current bag when I am bringing the baby along as it will be a pain to carry 2 big bags.

    The baby bag is pretty big too and will be quite heavy after loading it with the baby's necessities.

    Have tried to mount the lens I have now on the EOS-M (my brother has one) but it looks and feel funny/unbalanced. Switching to a differebt system will mean additional cost, which I am not keen on since my baby is coming soon.
    Last edited by GhostAccord; 17th December 2012 at 10:01 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    How about just 6D+Ef 40mm STM pancake lens.

    No flash as not good with baby eyes.
    Your gear will be as small as PNS...
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  5. #5

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Sell everything.

    buy a RX100.

    Or a M3/4 or Mirrorless system with Kit zoom lens.

    that way..its much smaller and much lighter..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
    Hi All

    My current gears are as follows: Canon 600D with grip, 15-85mm with hood, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f4 IS with hood and 580 EX2. Have plans to down size my stuffs to just the Canon 600D (less grip) and 15-85mm with hood as I have no time for shoots due to heavier workload and a upcoming baby. Currently the gear carrier is a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 350AW. Need some advice on the type of carrier/bag after down sizing.

    In the near future, other than the camera bag, I will have to carry a diaper/baby bag (backpack style) which is similar in size to my current camera bag. Don't think I can handle so much stuffs. Shoulder bags are out due to an old shoulder injury.

    Was looking at just getting a neoprene pouch for the 600D with 15-85mm mounted and then put the whole thing into the diaper/baby bag. Is this a feasible solution?

    Please advise and thanks in advance.
    Sounds feasible, as long as it fits into the baby bag
    I would say just use what you have now, feels like only when junior arrives and faced with the dilemma first hand then you will know if you need to change

    Congrats!

  7. #7

    Default

    Congrats on the coming arrival of ur baby!

    I will suggest getting a proper sling bag. If u just use a neoprene cover ur baby may grab hold of it and salivate all over. There are also liquid hazards eg milk bottle that can easily spill over the camera.

    Have fun shooting ur bundle of joy!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    How about just 6D+Ef 40mm STM pancake lens.

    No flash as not good with baby eyes.
    Your gear will be as small as PNS...
    I think the 6D is heavier and bigger than the 600D. For no flash, can just disable the flash for 600D in the menu?
    My wife have a PnS already. That's why I am keen to keep my 600D. And between the 3 lenses I have, the 15-85mm seems to be better for general use?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Sell everything.

    buy a RX100.

    Or a M3/4 or Mirrorless system with Kit zoom lens.

    that way..its much smaller and much lighter..
    The RX100 or most m4/3 or mirrorless system will be smaller and lighter than the 600D + 15-85mm but will mean more cost. Not to mention a new system to learn (not that I am very good with the Canon) as well.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Sounds feasible, as long as it fits into the baby bag
    I would say just use what you have now, feels like only when junior arrives and faced with the dilemma first hand then you will know if you need to change

    Congrats!
    It should fit in the baby bag as the baby bag is a pretty big backpack. Did managed to squeeze in 45pieces of pampers (and nothing else) in the main compartment.

    Will be keeping the gears (except the 70-200mm f4 IS and maybe the DSLR Video Fastpack 350AW) first till the baby is born, just in case the 50mm f1.4 is good for capturing babies shot. Pretty sure I won't be using the 70-200mm much in future, as was lazy to lug it around. Definitely an impulse buy and an expensive lesson. :X

    Thanks for the congratulations.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    Congrats on the coming arrival of ur baby!

    I will suggest getting a proper sling bag. If u just use a neoprene cover ur baby may grab hold of it and salivate all over. There are also liquid hazards eg milk bottle that can easily spill over the camera.

    Have fun shooting ur bundle of joy!
    Thanks for the congratulations.

    Kinda wary on a sling/shoulder bag as I have a bad shoulder (almost didn't survive my Sydney trip with the above gears minus 70-200mm f4 IS in a Crumpler 6MDH. Plus, will need to carry the baby's bag (which is a backpack).

    Maybe a belt pack with shoulder straps (like the Lowepro Inverse 100AW) to balance out the weight?

  12. #12
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
    I think the 6D is heavier and bigger than the 600D. For no flash, can just disable the flash for 600D in the menu?
    Erm.. are you shooting in Green Dummy Mode? All other usual modes (P, Av, Tv, M) will never pop up and fire the flash.
    Beside this, it's an urban myth that camera flashes will harm baby's eyes. It always pops up with some scaremongers, but still every day pictures of babies are taken with flash and nothing happens. Probably you also got a fair load of flashes into your eyes when you were young
    EOS

  13. #13
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Actually, depending on what you meant by general usage. I would keep the 50mm f1.4, or sell it and get the cheaper 50mm f1.8, then sell everything, including the 15-85mm and use only the 600D with a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8. It should bring your entire setup pretty light.

    Or sell all your lens and get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC.
    Last edited by rhino123; 18th December 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  14. #14

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
    The RX100 or most m4/3 or mirrorless system will be smaller and lighter than the 600D + 15-85mm but will mean more cost. Not to mention a new system to learn (not that I am very good with the Canon) as well.
    more cost? not really i guess?.. (if u sell everything u have..according to your first post) You might still have left over. Ok worst case.. u just need to top up maybe 100 or 200 more? But IMO, it will help you alot..since you need to carry other stuff and need to take care of your kids and wife besides yourself. (Those equipment can deliver good result also. So need not worry).

    a New RX100 should not cost u more than $999. Infact u can get it at $900 or below if you know where to buy or manage to get a good deal.
    The M3/4 and Mirrorless (Nex for eg. Since i use them) brand new for less than $1200.

    The learning curve is not hard or very complicated..since they are not top of the line stuff with many functions and etc. Just need to get use to the button placement.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually, depending on what you meant by general usage. I would keep the 50mm f1.4, or sell it and get the cheaper 50mm f1.8, then sell everything, including the 15-85mm and use only the 600D with a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8. It should bring your entire setup pretty light.

    Or sell all your lens and get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC.
    Agree.

    TS, if u want a lighter setup, yet keep ur 600D, I think it would make sense to just get a f2.8 zoom, and sell all ur other lenses. U may or may not want to sell ur 50/1.4, again its a matter of weight (and hassle of lens changing) vs what u can shoot with a 50/1.4.

    With a one lens setup, u can just neck sling ur camera and carry all ur baby stuff.
    hi

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    6,687

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Same situation newborn 3 yrs ago + traveling job, I went mirrorless & no turning back. Since you r already thinking of offloading 70-200, How about buying a 2nd hand mirrorless and a couple of lenses even, plus convince wife (hopefully) about no additional costs. Switch around systems if dun like, still can sell without much loss. Congrats, and enjoy the trip and seeing your baby growing up!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    if u feel comfortable with mirrorless size...u can go to mirrorless camera..
    the IQ is not a big difference to DSLR nowadays.. u can try by rent a a camera
    I also use mirrorless camera as my 2nd camera just haven't found the right lens...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    Congrats to you. I have a baby girl 7 months ago and I'm still carrying D7000 with various lenses. I do agree weight is an issue, thus, I got myself a trolley bag to roll around. else just a body and lens will do. still ok.. so... if you ask me, I'll say stay put.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Advise needed after down-sizing of gears

    congrat to all new father new mother new grandpa grandma.

    just curious how easy it is to wheel camera stuff around when going out with baby?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Erm.. are you shooting in Green Dummy Mode? All other usual modes (P, Av, Tv, M) will never pop up and fire the flash.
    Beside this, it's an urban myth that camera flashes will harm baby's eyes. It always pops up with some scaremongers, but still every day pictures of babies are taken with flash and nothing happens. Probably you also got a fair load of flashes into your eyes when you were young
    I presume you are referring to Auto mode? Don't really use Auto. Use Av most of the time. Never realise that other than Auto, the built-in flash will not activate automatically.

    I am pretty sure that I was exposed to camera flash quite a bit when I was young. Most people would.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •