Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 226

Thread: Are Bose speakers any good?

  1. #121
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    You see the VVTI ad??? It's a sheep.....can outrun all the 95 emperos
    Aiyo that one very ambitious. Is it trying to say that Toyota can outrun Ferrari? Horse=Ferrari or Ford Mustang.

  2. #122
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Aiyo that one very ambitious. Is it trying to say that Toyota can outrun Ferrari? Horse=Ferrari or Ford Mustang.
    Sea Biscuits lah!

  3. #123

    Default

    Hahaha, now everyone waiting to see what amp I purchase. I actually enquired about the 2nd hand nad c370.. see how it goes.

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Haha mai angry lah. I like your Rolls Royce theory.
    Me angry? You must be kidding me.....

    It's more hilarious than any cartoon I have ever seen.....

  5. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Hahaha, now everyone waiting to see what amp I purchase. I actually enquired about the 2nd hand nad c370.. see how it goes.
    Please let us know after you run it thru about 1-2 weeks after u connected it. It takes time for your ears to get use to it.

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Hahaha, now everyone waiting to see what amp I purchase. I actually enquired about the 2nd hand nad c370.. see how it goes.
    All the best... should be a good choice. But listen carefully and check the knobs for potential contact problems

  7. #127

    Default

    hifi is to the ears what photography is to the eyes.

    seperates are SLR - body + lens combinations.

    shop and buy like you are getting an SLR system - trust only your own judgement and preference which means go and listen wherever you can - friends, shops etc... you only need to appreciate the music.

    tube vs transistor is like film vs digital - romance vs sharpness etc... plenty of room to love or hate depends deeply on preference, and an endless debate of which is better

    if you are not sure, you can also get used and work your way up from there if you can bother. system matching is CRITICAL.

    otherwise, like some camera buyers just go to the shop and buy if you are comfortable, be content and stick with it.

    just beware that in photography and hifi, the upgrade path is extremely tantalizing - you may just discover a part of yourself you never knew existed.

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalgear
    hifi is to the ears what photography is to the eyes.

    seperates are SLR - body + lens combinations.

    shop and buy like you are getting an SLR system - trust only your own judgement and preference which means go and listen wherever you can - friends, shops etc... you only need to appreciate the music.

    tube vs transistor is like film vs digital - romance vs sharpness etc... plenty of room to love or hate depends deeply on preference, and an endless debate of which is better

    if you are not sure, you can also get used and work your way up from there if you can bother. system matching is CRITICAL.

    otherwise, like some camera buyers just go to the shop and buy if you are comfortable, be content and stick with it.

    just beware that in photography and hifi, the upgrade path is extremely tantalizing - you may just discover a part of yourself you never knew existed.
    Really agree with you on the last part.

    Now my only temptations are - Turntable & DAB tuner. Though i'm contemplating on getting a 2nd hand Audiolab 8000C ...

  9. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lower Seletar Reservoir
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    just wondering how come noone mentioned about room acoustics? It is very impt too. A good system constitutes only half the story, the room you are placing the system will affect sound quality.

    I've heard a friend's 20K system in a living room with no acoustics treatment, open windows, wrong speaker placement, etc (the list goes on) sounds worse than my 2K system. IMO, do read up a bit on room acoustics, speaker placement, etc, it's going to do wonder for your system (whichever you are getting).

  10. #130
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    just wondering how come noone mentioned about room acoustics? It is very impt too. A good system constitutes only half the story, the room you are placing the system will affect sound quality.

    I've heard a friend's 20K system in a living room with no acoustics treatment, open windows, wrong speaker placement, etc (the list goes on) sounds worse than my 2K system. IMO, do read up a bit on room acoustics, speaker placement, etc, it's going to do wonder for your system (whichever you are getting).
    Very true also ... most of us don't invest in room acoustics (close windows close door then play) ... but that is a really expensive route to take .. sometimes unnecessary.

    The main story is usually with the cables and component matching. Get this wrong and no room treatment is going to help you either.

  11. #131
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalgear
    tube vs transistor is like film vs digital - romance vs sharpness etc... plenty of room to love or hate depends deeply on preference, and an endless debate of which is better
    Hehe... Not really, a SS can be made to have the tube sound but a tube will never match a good SS for dynamics.

  12. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lower Seletar Reservoir
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    No la, just some simple treatments or tweaks will create wonders for the overall sound.

    Eg.
    1) speaker stands for bookshelves, proper speaker placement, toe-in, not on shelves, not too close to the back wall.
    2) a simple rug in front of the system, invest in full length curtains behind speakers, to make the room less live (absorb some of the high frequencies)
    3) some furnitures (sofa, bookshelves,etc) in the room to enhance sound reflection, also to breakup the square shape of most rooms.

    No need to spend $$$ on acoustics tuning tubes, etc...

  13. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Laugh,

    The C370 sold liao, are u the buyer?

    Cheers.....

  14. #134

    Default

    Yes! Me me! hahaha. Good Price too! real bargain to the core and I thank you for it!
    Now for cables....hahaha.
    recommendations?

  15. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Hey dude,

    no problem.... try to get used cables too.... value for money!
    always check the echoloft sales, it will have good deals on and off.........

    playing with cables, interconnects, power cord could be potential expensive, heartache, headache......

    heh........

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Yes! Me me! hahaha. Good Price too! real bargain to the core and I thank you for it!
    Now for cables....hahaha.
    recommendations?

  16. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Yes! Me me! hahaha. Good Price too! real bargain to the core and I thank you for it!
    Now for cables....hahaha.
    recommendations?
    Congrats man ... did you ask whether you can test the set first?

    You might wanna check the volume control and the rest of the selector switches whether they're working fine.

    Cables wise ... its a taste thing... suggest you do some reading up online:

    Cable talk
    Kimbercable
    QED
    Monster Interconnects
    Belden
    ... a few that comes to mind at the moment.

  17. #137

    Default

    yup, will be testing tonight. Hope the transaction is smooth.

  18. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    dEthANGeL,

    u be Mr NiceGuy and accompany laugh there to check on the C370 lah... heh...

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    yup, will be testing tonight. Hope the transaction is smooth.

  19. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    dEthANGeL,

    u be Mr NiceGuy and accompany laugh there to check on the C370 lah... heh...


    Later i psycho him onto the pre / power bandwangon .. that'll be the end ... already as it is .. i'm contemplating whether to get an audiolab preamp .. but condition kinda bad.

    My dream is to replace my current AMC with an EMC-1 ...

  20. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Hmmm if laugh was still looking for a pair of good speakers ... noticed that echoloft has got a seller getting rid of his Loth-X Ion speakers for $250 ... pretty cheap ... nice speakers too

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •