Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Bose speakers any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    You see the VVTI ad??? It's a sheep.....can outrun all the 95 emperos
    Aiyo that one very ambitious. Is it trying to say that Toyota can outrun Ferrari? Horse=Ferrari or Ford Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Aiyo that one very ambitious. Is it trying to say that Toyota can outrun Ferrari? Horse=Ferrari or Ford Mustang.
    Sea Biscuits lah!

Hahaha, now everyone waiting to see what amp I purchase. I actually enquired about the 2nd hand nad c370.. see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Haha mai angry lah. I like your Rolls Royce theory.
    Me angry? You must be kidding me.....

It's more hilarious than any cartoon I have ever seen.....

Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Hahaha, now everyone waiting to see what amp I purchase. I actually enquired about the 2nd hand nad c370.. see how it goes.
    Please let us know after you run it thru about 1-2 weeks after u connected it. It takes time for your ears to get use to it.

All the best... should be a good choice. But listen carefully and check the knobs for potential contact problems

hifi is to the ears what photography is to the eyes.

seperates are SLR - body + lens combinations.

shop and buy like you are getting an SLR system - trust only your own judgement and preference which means go and listen wherever you can - friends, shops etc... you only need to appreciate the music.

tube vs transistor is like film vs digital - romance vs sharpness etc... plenty of room to love or hate depends deeply on preference, and an endless debate of which is better

if you are not sure, you can also get used and work your way up from there if you can bother. system matching is CRITICAL.

otherwise, like some camera buyers just go to the shop and buy if you are comfortable, be content and stick with it.

just beware that in photography and hifi, the upgrade path is extremely tantalizing - you may just discover a part of yourself you never knew existed.

Quote Originally Posted by metalgear
    hifi is to the ears what photography is to the eyes.

seperates are SLR - body + lens combinations.

shop and buy like you are getting an SLR system - trust only your own judgement and preference which means go and listen wherever you can - friends, shops etc... you only need to appreciate the music.

tube vs transistor is like film vs digital - romance vs sharpness etc... plenty of room to love or hate depends deeply on preference, and an endless debate of which is better

if you are not sure, you can also get used and work your way up from there if you can bother. system matching is CRITICAL.

otherwise, like some camera buyers just go to the shop and buy if you are comfortable, be content and stick with it.

just beware that in photography and hifi, the upgrade path is extremely tantalizing - you may just discover a part of yourself you never knew existed.
    Really agree with you on the last part.

Now my only temptations are - Turntable & DAB tuner. Though i'm contemplating on getting a 2nd hand Audiolab 8000C ...

just wondering how come noone mentioned about room acoustics? It is very impt too. A good system constitutes only half the story, the room you are placing the system will affect sound quality.

I've heard a friend's 20K system in a living room with no acoustics treatment, open windows, wrong speaker placement, etc (the list goes on) sounds worse than my 2K system. IMO, do read up a bit on room acoustics, speaker placement, etc, it's going to do wonder for your system (whichever you are getting).

Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    just wondering how come noone mentioned about room acoustics? It is very impt too. A good system constitutes only half the story, the room you are placing the system will affect sound quality.

I've heard a friend's 20K system in a living room with no acoustics treatment, open windows, wrong speaker placement, etc (the list goes on) sounds worse than my 2K system. IMO, do read up a bit on room acoustics, speaker placement, etc, it's going to do wonder for your system (whichever you are getting).
    Very true also ... most of us don't invest in room acoustics (close windows close door then play) ... but that is a really expensive route to take .. sometimes unnecessary.

The main story is usually with the cables and component matching. Get this wrong and no room treatment is going to help you either.

Quote Originally Posted by metalgear
    Hehe... Not really, a SS can be made to have the tube sound but a tube will never match a good SS for dynamics.

No la, just some simple treatments or tweaks will create wonders for the overall sound.

Eg.
    1) speaker stands for bookshelves, proper speaker placement, toe-in, not on shelves, not too close to the back wall.
    2) a simple rug in front of the system, invest in full length curtains behind speakers, to make the room less live (absorb some of the high frequencies)
    3) some furnitures (sofa, bookshelves,etc) in the room to enhance sound reflection, also to breakup the square shape of most rooms.

No need to spend $$$ on acoustics tuning tubes, etc...

Laugh,

The C370 sold liao, are u the buyer?

Cheers.....

Yes! Me me! hahaha. Good Price too! real bargain to the core and I thank you for it!
    Now for cables....hahaha.
    recommendations?

Hey dude,

no problem.... try to get used cables too.... value for money!
    always check the echoloft sales, it will have good deals on and off.........

playing with cables, interconnects, power cord could be potential expensive, heartache, headache......

heh........

Yes! Me me! hahaha. Good Price too! real bargain to the core and I thank you for it!
    recommendations?

recommendations?
    Congrats man ... did you ask whether you can test the set first?

You might wanna check the volume control and the rest of the selector switches whether they're working fine.

Cables wise ... its a taste thing... suggest you do some reading up online:

Cable talk
    Kimbercable
    QED
    Monster Interconnects
    Belden
    ... a few that comes to mind at the moment.

yup, will be testing tonight. Hope the transaction is smooth.

dEthANGeL,

u be Mr NiceGuy and accompany laugh there to check on the C370 lah... heh...

yup, will be testing tonight. Hope the transaction is smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    dEthANGeL,

u be Mr NiceGuy and accompany laugh there to check on the C370 lah... heh...

Later i psycho him onto the pre / power bandwangon .. that'll be the end ... already as it is .. i'm contemplating whether to get an audiolab preamp .. but condition kinda bad.

My dream is to replace my current AMC with an EMC-1 ...

Hmmm if laugh was still looking for a pair of good speakers ... noticed that echoloft has got a seller getting rid of his Loth-X Ion speakers for $250 ... pretty cheap ... nice speakers too

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast