Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 226

Thread: Are Bose speakers any good?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    can lah S$1500 can get spiks, amp and CDP too... either from NAD or Rotel or Marantz...

    for Rotal & Marantz go to the king of budget hifi ---> KEC ( as suggested by fellow CSers)... look for Choon, comical guy to talk to..........

    heh...how firm is ur budget of $1500? my gut feel is that once you are in it, the chances of blowing the budget (big time) is very HIGH!

    remember to set aside some money for interconnects and speaker cables too.....

    good luck in your search of Hifi Nirvana!



    I must stop buying camera stuffs and start saving for own Hifi nirvana liao...


    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Thanks for all the input guys. Im looking at a budget of about $1500 for the speakers and amp (and possible cd player).

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Would highly recommend Cambridge Audio amplifiers, Marantz CD Players. Speakers depend on size of room and music you are into.
    Yah yah....and what else you have in your living room????? Hehe....

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    That will be Precision Audio, IIRC they also carry some MIC pdts...

    take your time to go to every shop to listen, dun shy.... got chance go Norman Audio..their service is 1st class, but the price of the equipment they sell also 1st class lah......

    oh ya if getting Bookshelf spiks, remember to budget for spiks stand too.....

    fwah a+b+c+d ........ = a lot of money leh..... think hard before u commit manz!!!

    heh

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Also check out a shop in Adelphi that has some gorgeous Monitor Audio speakers, in a rosewood finish with gold tweeters. They are specifically designed to be used close to a wall so good for small room set ups. These speakers really sing!! Not great if you are a bass-head but good for jazz, classical etc..

  4. #24

    Default

    Exposure Amp, Musical Fidelity Amp I like if not this ultra-sexy Alchemist
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....60&postcount=7

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Actually a good system setup depends first on how deep is your pocket. Obviously there are budget systems that will put some better branded names to shame. For $1,500 there aren't much out there if you are looking for separate hi-fi systems. You will probably can get a decent speaker and amp but I don't think it will cover your CD player unless you add at least another $500.

    To mix and match is sometimes a big headache. It took a while to choose mine too. And the amount was not $1,500, mind you. It was more.....sigh!

    1)Depends on the dimension of your room as well as this is really important how the sound reflects back towards where you are actually sitting.

    2)The amp that you are purchasing now will need to work well with the speaker you are going to buy as well. So check your amp power output.

    3)Speakers will sound a little raw when you first buy them. It takes time for the speakers to run in. I have a 12 year Sony speakers ( Made in Japan ) and it sound so good right now after a couple of years of running in. Now the cone tweeters and midrange sounds just nice!

    4)Connectors are as important as well. Sure you can get those pasar malam wires but why spend so much on a system and not complete it. Of course not asking you to get Monster Cable or van Den hul cables and connectors but at least spend some on getting decent wires.

    Actually all this will never end. Same like photography.

    My suggestion is calculate the amount of time you spend at home listening to the music. If you are not so particular about the sound but just for listening pleasure sake, heck for $1,500 you can get a very good 6 in 1 systems. Do not need to be a brand called Bose. It's ex, really ex!

    Good luck on your purchase!
    Last edited by Pro Image; 8th March 2005 at 11:52 AM.

  6. #26

    Default

    Actually Im not a HiFi fanatic, and am very unsure of all the terms in the specifications of a HiFi system.
    But i do know the importance of sound and can tell that those found in megamarts simply cannot fit the bill, but I cant point out what is lacking though. Booming bass, the mid-range is not clear enough.. haha.. all my novice definitions..

    Maybe I rephrase my question,
    With $1500, what would you get?

    I want to shortlist some models before i go hunting. And hopefully I will stick to my budget

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    sorry me out of touch from hifi too long to know abt latest model and pricing... a good place to get started is www.echoloft.com (as mentioned before...there is a ongoing discussion on <$1000 setup--->http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...num=1109722340

    spend some time going through past postings, there are always threads asking for recommendations for 1.5k-2k systems.....

    ermmm...no matter how much we recommend you are the one who has to decide lor....one man's meat and one's man poison lor...very true in Hifi....

    you must decide what type of sound u looking for...like for me, I love vocal, and warm, laid back sound... no headbanging music for me, whereas for others they may find my type of sound too boring.... etc etc..........

    how u know what type of sound u looking for? heh....go listen to showroom system or fellow CSers system or even ppl from Echoloft (they are very frenly and helpful ppl)......... as a starting point, i would suggest you go down to KEC and tell them up front that you are looking for a $1.5k system (CDP+AMP+Spiks) and see what they can recommend, then listen to that setup, decide you like or not...then can play around with switching components of about the same price to see what is the difference.....and pls go during weekdays where it is less crowded and you will get more attention from KEC.....

    good luck!!!!

    Cheers.........

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Actually Im not a HiFi fanatic, and am very unsure of all the terms in the specifications of a HiFi system.
    But i do know the importance of sound and can tell that those found in megamarts simply cannot fit the bill, but I cant point out what is lacking though. Booming bass, the mid-range is not clear enough.. haha.. all my novice definitions..

    Maybe I rephrase my question,
    With $1500, what would you get?

    I want to shortlist some models before i go hunting. And hopefully I will stick to my budget

  8. #28

    Default

    Then buy a portable system or a lifestyle system. I suggest u bring some of your favourite CDs and pop down to adelphe and ask for demo. If you do not appreciate good system then it make no point to spend mega $ for audiophile thingy. They key is that these system produce day and nite result and you must go listen more. Dun be afraid to ask for demo, be courteous and dun be shock if the person tell u something high price. Noone will like to demo something u will never buy. Just assume the price is fine becos good sound cannot really judge by price although it is a good reference. Thank them afterthat and appreciate, tell them you are still auditing many few more and may come back to discuss more etc. Once you listen more, you will roughly have a sense what u need or spend.

    Otherwise, just get some modern all in one if it doesnt make a dif. Because these audiophile will need to set up propoerly with space for acoustic reason, angle to the right angle, proper stand if the speaker is a bookshelf type. We all enjoy doing these once we know how the sound is suppose to be.

    There is alot of difference between audiophile grade system and lifestyle system which is basically background music. Why people pay ticket to go for opera or concert instead of musical CD? A audiophile setup may be near to a live performance when u close yr eyes etc. U can hear things u never able to hear from a lifestyle system. The sound stages, the position of the intrumentalist, the tapping shoe of Eric Clapton when we play live "Tears to Heaven" etc.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    S$1500 budget won't get you far... look for those package deal from the same manufacturer... ie yahama, denon, sony etc...

  10. #30
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Actually Im not a HiFi fanatic, and am very unsure of all the terms in the specifications of a HiFi system.
    But i do know the importance of sound and can tell that those found in megamarts simply cannot fit the bill, but I cant point out what is lacking though. Booming bass, the mid-range is not clear enough.. haha.. all my novice definitions..

    Maybe I rephrase my question,
    With $1500, what would you get?

    I want to shortlist some models before i go hunting. And hopefully I will stick to my budget
    Actually, Bose isn't half bad for Jazz and Bossa but for the price you could get much better system. Besides Bose is those system whose very specialize for only one or two types of music, try something harder like rock and dance music you will see the flaws of a lacking in mid range. Its woofer have to cover all the lower spectrum from mid onwards, whereas normal speaker have two cones for high and mid for better separation.

    Misson is good fierce speaker capable of most range of music dependent on the amp driving it. Another is Kef speaker, superb all rounder and easy to drive. The most powerful bookshelf speaker I ever heard of is Dyna Audio, hear it once and it will blow you away with its strength and finesse. The price however is about $1500 a pair which will blow your budget out straight......

    http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/dynaudio42_e.html

    Check out the review.
    Last edited by Hommie; 8th March 2005 at 01:45 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Actually, Bose isn't half bad for Jazz and Bossa but for the price you could get much better system. Besides Bose is those system whose very specialize for only one or two types of music, try something harder like rock and dance music you will see the flaws of a lacking in mid range. Its woofer have to cover all the lower spectrum from mid onwards, whereas normal speaker have two cones for high and mid for better separation.


    Check out the review.
    I agree with Hommie, what it's missing is the mid range...the system is not that bad also. One advantage is the lifestyle system is relatively small and easy hide compare to audiophile systems (I'm comparing them putting in a HDB flat of course). I did try those seperate systems in showrooms as well as the lifestyle showroom, my choice was Bose, not coz of the brand but my ear likes the sound of it more than the other types. Only thing I felt was it is an overpriced system. Still enjoying it after a year though.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    IIRC, the Bose showroom is heavily treated to bring out the best of the system, so it MAY not sound as solid when at home if it is not treated (which is the case for most Bose owner)....

    Cheers.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    I agree with Hommie, what it's missing is the mid range...the system is not that bad also. One advantage is the lifestyle system is relatively small and easy hide compare to audiophile systems (I'm comparing them putting in a HDB flat of course). I did try those seperate systems in showrooms as well as the lifestyle showroom, my choice was Bose, not coz of the brand but my ear likes the sound of it more than the other types. Only thing I felt was it is an overpriced system. Still enjoying it after a year though.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    sorry me out of touch from hifi too long to know abt latest model and pricing... a good place to get started is www.echoloft.com (as mentioned before...there is a ongoing discussion on <$1000 setup--->http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/YaBB...num=1109722340

    spend some time going through past postings, there are always threads asking for recommendations for 1.5k-2k systems.....

    ermmm...no matter how much we recommend you are the one who has to decide lor....one man's meat and one's man poison lor...very true in Hifi....

    you must decide what type of sound u looking for...like for me, I love vocal, and warm, laid back sound... no headbanging music for me, whereas for others they may find my type of sound too boring.... etc etc..........

    how u know what type of sound u looking for? heh....go listen to showroom system or fellow CSers system or even ppl from Echoloft (they are very frenly and helpful ppl)......... as a starting point, i would suggest you go down to KEC and tell them up front that you are looking for a $1.5k system (CDP+AMP+Spiks) and see what they can recommend, then listen to that setup, decide you like or not...then can play around with switching components of about the same price to see what is the difference.....and pls go during weekdays where it is less crowded and you will get more attention from KEC.....

    good luck!!!!

    Cheers.........
    Sometimes the problem with showrooms is that it sounds good over there but when you set it at home....huh.....how come......sound so different...???

    nemeses32 suggestion is very good. Look for those Yamaha, Denon or Marantz which has an all in one budget hi-fi separate systems (separate as in you have an amp, speaker, cd but same brand) in places like Best Denki. For $1,500, you will have spare change to buy more CDs, get some nice connectors, stands for your speakers and so on.

    If you know how to setup at home, your budget hi-fi set can sound good too. It's a little about physics on the placement of those speakers. If you have a medium size living hall of about 15 x 15 feet, then you should at least get at least a floor standing speakers. This kind of speakers are an all rounder.

    If you happened to be buying it for your room, a medium bookself speakers like Tannoy, KEF or cheaper brands will be more than sufficient.

    So like some members have suggested, go down to Adelphi showroom or Best Denki and let them know your budget and what your setup is for. And yes please bring down a couple of good quality CDs.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Actually, Bose isn't half bad for Jazz and Bossa but for the price you could get much better system. Besides Bose is those system whose very specialize for only one or two types of music, try something harder like rock and dance music you will see the flaws of a lacking in mid range. Its woofer have to cover all the lower spectrum from mid onwards, whereas normal speaker have two cones for high and mid for better separation.

    Misson is good fierce speaker capable of most range of music dependent on the amp driving it. Another is Kef speaker, superb all rounder and easy to drive. The most powerful bookshelf speaker I ever heard of is Dyna Audio, hear it once and it will blow you away with its strength and finesse. The price however is about $1500 a pair which will blow your budget out straight......

    http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/dynaudio42_e.html

    Check out the review.
    BOSE no good! No good! Hehe....my brother has a set as well. When he hear my 12 years Sony speakers, he asked how come your old set sounds much better than mine? Keke.......and it's true that BOSE showrooms are well plan and padded as well.

    Unless of course you are going for the legendary BOSE 901 which has unlimited power!!!!! Now that is a true to life speaker!

    I would go with KEF as well as it's an all rounder but for $1,500, hehe only a bookshelf speaker. Unless you are talking about another legend from KEF floor standing speakers......the one and only Refence Series 2.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Guys, guys, ever heard of Dynaudio?? If ever anyone/shop have a set, ask them to do a demo. You'll not look back again. Warning though, this baby need a bloody powerful amp to drive them(hee, hee get the pre-power amp set up or bi-power amping).

    Used to be that you can get the driver/cone from Dynaudio and diy your own speakers but not anymore. Like the reviewer, I so regret not getting a few for myself......

  16. #36
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Come on lah.....Bose is not that bad lah......whenever I went shopping with wify.....I always stay longer in some boutigue to listend to the songs....and most of the time I realized that their system is Bose

    So Buy lah...buy lah...but with $1500....you can only afford the Wave radio

  17. #37

    Default

    I don't think that while doing shopping is really the moment and place where one can judge on the quality of audio systems.

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Come on lah.....Bose is not that bad lah......whenever I went shopping with wify.....I always stay longer in some boutigue to listend to the songs....and most of the time I realized that their system is Bose

    So Buy lah...buy lah...but with $1500....you can only afford the Wave radio
    The wave radio is way overpriced IMHO. Was looking at the NAD C352 with the KEF cresta2, looks like they may be well within my budget.

  19. #39

    Default

    Dynaudio is a denmark amp, rich and thick sound. Not bad for jazz and vocal. But I din buy that one :B

  20. #40
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    The wave radio is way overpriced IMHO. Was looking at the NAD C352 with the KEF cresta2, looks like they may be well within my budget.
    KEFs are not bad. I have a KEF sub. But i forgot what model. Very good. I still have my old NAD C520 CD player. Also

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •