Thread: SD card class type for compact cameras

Default SD card class type for compact cameras

Hi all,
    I've received a free gift when I purchased a camera and it's a class 10 sandisk 30mb/s 8gb sd card.
    My previous card is 8gb too but class 4.

I know class 10 is better in terms of data trasnfer, but I'm thinking of selling it and using my previous, I don't know so need advice.

When would class type be a limitation when it comes to using SD card on compact cameras? I'm just an average or new user to compact, won't really shoot too much High res photos and videos, so do i need the 8gb class 10 card or should i sell it and get a 16gb class 10 which costs $6 dollars more?

Blog Entries

Default Re: SD card class type for compact cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Chaste View Post
    Hi all,
    I've received a free gift when I purchased a camera and it's a class 10 sandisk 30mb/s 8gb sd card.

I know class 10 is better in terms of data trasnfer, but I'm thinking of selling it and using my previous, I don't know so need advice.

When would class type be a limitation when it comes to using SD card on compact cameras? I'm just an average or new user to compact, won't really shoot too much High res photos and videos, so do i need the 8gb class 10 card or should i sell it and get a 16gb class 10 which costs $6 dollars more?
    Sandisk Ultra 30mb/s 8GB SD cards are not that expensive nowadays... a quick check on price lists from shops in Sim Lim Square shows that this SD card cost slightly less than $9. How much are you going to sell it for? $5? Because no one will go through all the hassle of meeting up, as well as the risk of buying a fake card, for $4 savings. Might as well just keep it and use it.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th December 2012 at 04:48 PM.

There should not be any significant difference when used in the manner you described on a compact camera.

But when you transfer the entire 8GB from your memory card to your computer, that's when you feel the difference.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Default Re: SD card class type for compact cameras

just keep it.. price savings is not significant anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Chaste View Post
    Hi all,

Just keep it and one day you might have to use it or there will be someone needing it. And you will be able to pass it to the person.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!