Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Recommend Car Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid
    why must change water pump when change timing belt? my workshop check mine says dun need change when change my timing belt.
    Normally, it come as a complete set including the pulley. The belt also drive the water pump as well.
    So, if your water pump gone, you will be force to change timing belt as well.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

Default Re: Please Recommend Car Workshop

Just to share my experience I have at the workshop today.

I returned to the workshop today cos my car vibrate quite hard (happened 2 or 3 times before) when reverse gear is engaged. I thought I was going to have more repair bills to pay.

Mr Yap, the boss, attended to me personally and after diagnosing the problem he asked his mechanic to clean the throttle body.

The mechanic spent about 45 mins attending to my car and in the end, Mr Yap told me that he would not charge me anything. Wow, that is really going the extra mile for the customers and that gave us a very pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post

I returned to the workshop today cos my car vibrate quite hard (happened 2 or 3 times before) when reverse gear is engaged. I thought I was going to have more repair bills to pay.

Mr Yap, the boss, attended to me personally and after diagnosing the problem he asked his mechanic to clean the throttle body.

The mechanic spent about 45 mins attending to my car and in the end, Mr Yap told me that he would not charge me anything. Wow, that is really going the extra mile for the customers and that gave us a very pleasant surprise.
    very good for you.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

my mechanic gave me driving lesson on how to switch gear properly so won't stall engine . apparently i was not aggressive enough
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    my mechanic gave me driving lesson on how to switch gear properly so won't stall engine . apparently i was not aggressive enough
    Just RAM the gear into the slot!!!! They like it hard!!!!
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Just RAM the gear into the slot!!!! They like it hard!!!!
    its not strength , it's technique. got to get the engine warm and all the engine oil at correct temperature to ensure adequate lubrication .

then must apply throttle rhythmmatically . once you get the Rpm going, must build up towards the high end. keep the momentum going by shifting into higher gear every time Rpm reaches the higher tones .

on a side note i wonder how many children my mechanic has sired
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    its not strength , it's technique. got to get the engine warm and all the engine oil at correct temperature to ensure adequate lubrication .

then must apply throttle rhythmmatically . once you get the Rpm going, must build up towards the high end. keep the momentum going by shifting into higher gear every time Rpm reaches the higher tones .

on a side note i wonder how many children my mechanic has sired
    Wah....... so many things to take note..... lol........

You also must ask the official and unofficials ones (kids)....... lol......
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 15th December 2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid

How does throttle body "dirty" effect reserved gear ??!

Maybe it is time to go change your gear box oil.
    Gearbox when cold (like early morning) tends to "vibrate" or "Kok" during gear change as the gear oil have not heat up yet (oil pressure too low)
    Make sure the mechanic change/top up enough correct volume of gear oil.
    Inexperienced or lazy one pump air bubble into gear box when they change oil, air bubble will result in insufficient oil hence low pressure.

They may ask you to flash your gearbox as well. But this may cause more problem later as metal dust may block the solenoi. Better not do ...

Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168

How does throttle body "dirty" effect reserved gear ??!

Maybe it is time to go change your gear box oil.
    Gearbox when cold (like early morning) tends to "vibrate" or "Kok" during gear change as the gear oil have not heat up yet (oil pressure too low)
    Make sure the mechanic change/top up enough correct volume of gear oil.
    Inexperienced or lazy one pump air bubble into gear box when they change oil, air bubble will result in insufficient oil hence low pressure.

They may ask you to flash your gearbox as well. But this may cause more problem later as metal dust may block the solenoi. Better not do ...
    ???

Gearbox oil applies to manual shift cars - you're recommending something that may not be applicable. Manual shift gearboxes do not have oil pumps, so there's no such thing as low gearbox oil pressure unless you have an exotic car.

Automatic transmissions are gravity filled and levels check with the dipstick. So it doesn't have filling problems you mentioned

Engine oil are usually filled by pouring, yes, there are some that fill via pumps. You need the oil to be quite low, quite far below the Low marking to get low oil pressure due to insufficient oil.

And what is the solenoid get that gets stuck?

automatic gearbox solenoid valve
    Google it.
    This value control the oil pressure used for gear change.

I am driving a conti car. Auto gear oil drain from below and new oil got to be pumped (not pour from top) into it through the same hole.

U sure manual gear box got no oil pump inside ??
    Last edited by ahboy168; 19th December 2012 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168
    automatic gearbox solenoid valve
    Google it.
    This value control the oil pressure used for gear change.

I am driving a conti car. Auto gear oil drain from below and new oil got to be pumped (not pour from top) into it through the same hole.

U sure manual gear box got no oil pump inside ??

The valves do not control oil pressure. It controls the hydraulics to actuate the clutches that effect gear changes. The pressure is not regulated by the solenoids.

Conti cars transmission the fluid although pumped, are pumped through the fill port at the top of the gearbox, not through the drain hole. If you fill through the drain hole, you'll alway lose fluid while disconnecting - really bad idea. Filling through a fill port at the top has same effect as poured, so its only mildy affected if there are bubbles while pumping it, no worse than pouring. It's really a dumb design, checking the level and topping up is a shop visit task, cost and time.

And no, manual gearboxes do not have oil pumps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12