Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think people still use IE

Quote Originally Posted by taku1a
    Ironically, most computer and web professionals probably have to use IE to test their designs because it is "given to them" as a common denominator.
    U should know who I'm refering to.
    Let's not interpret according to personal preference.

OT: I wonder why people won't feel insulted buying the "for IDIOTS" series of books...

Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Sometimes it not just about spyware, its about a fundamental flaw in IE.

I can unserstand the part about IE loading scripts properly (activeX also), becasue most pple design their sites with IE in mind.

Not to fuel the anti-microsoft fire (which i am against btw), but any more reasons why one should choose IE?
    I guess most pple know abt flaws in IE, with so many anti-microsoft pple around... But this doesn't mean the other browsers do not have. Just lesser pple attacking them that's all..

Most programmers will tell you that it's easy to get bugs in large programs...
    I've yet to really see a bug-free large program.

BINGO!!

Quote Originally Posted by taku1a
    Ironically, most computer and web professionals probably have to use IE to test their designs because it is "given to them" as a common denominator. It will be inaccurate to label these programmers as "computer idiots" when they write more lines of Java than the cups of Java coffee I drink.

For me, I use IE at work because it is the only browser authorised by my company.

At home, Firefox liberates me.

Cause IE already there when i bought my pc.

After looking thru this thread, i decided to give Firefox 1.01 a try today.

After installing, i surfed the net awhile with it. Had 3 tabs opened and started to feel that my system began to lag.

Went to Windows Task Manager and looked at the Processes and astonished to see Firefox actually consumed 20K of the memory.

I closed the 2 tabs, left only with one tab and took a look at the memory consumption again. 10K used, whereas IE is only using 3K per window.

Still prefer a lightweight browser.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

u meant 20MB of memory? 20K is very little.

mine's using 72MB of memory with 8 windows and 9 tabs

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    u meant 20MB of memory? 20K is very little.

mine's using 72MB of memory with 8 windows and 9 tabs
    yup yup! its 20MB

firefox very memory hungry
    Portfolio | Gallery

Because they don't have a problem with it
    '
    Would it be like asking "Why are you still using windows?"

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam

good one!
    Portfolio | Gallery

hmmm. firefox doesnt seem to lag my comp at all.

funny. maybe fast comp. haha.

but my prev comp also didnt lagg as much leh. in fact in my instance, IE lags more due to the spyware, adware, trojans... that some websites had installed into my comp without my knowledge last time(b4 i heard of Adaware of ZoneAlarm that is)...

such thingies do not work on firfox so im pretty happy with my firefox browser now. (:

Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf
    After looking thru this thread, i decided to give Firefox 1.01 a try today.

After installing, i surfed the net awhile with it. Had 3 tabs opened and started to feel that my system began to lag.

Went to Windows Task Manager and looked at the Processes and astonished to see Firefox actually consumed 20K of the memory.

I closed the 2 tabs, left only with one tab and took a look at the memory consumption again. 10K used, whereas IE is only using 3K per window.

Still prefer a lightweight browser.
    Have you tried mouse gestures extension for firefox? I feel crippled surfing the net without it on my School's IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    I second this...so far I have 0 problem with IE6...I think people are too paranoid about security loop hole etc...M$ will not sit back and wait for disaster to struck.....I guess the FOC s/w will not have the same capacity and speed to counter any sort of security shortfall like M$
    I am not sure if you have been following security reports and newsletters over the past seven to eight years. It is a fact that mozilla, firefox and opera release fixes faster than m$.

Another piece of advice to you folks: try the good old mozilla suite (1.7.5 is current) instead of firefox. In my experience it is quite a bit more stable and robust compared to firefox. Also, the memory consumption is quite well managed. I don't recommend firefox to anybody. They still have a lot of work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    Because they don't have a problem with it
    '
    Haha, good one, but i guess its easier to download a free browser than to change an OS.

The main reasons I gather that one would still use IE are:

1) It is the common denominator everyone works with (main reason in my opinion)
    2) It comes with the PC and have no problems with it (at least not yet)
    3) With good computing habits, such as frequent updates, running antivirus and firewalls will make IE safe
    4) IE is a lightweight browser as it uses less memory

Thanks for the input guys.
    Last edited by laugh; 7th March 2005 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    I am not sure if you have been following security reports and newsletters over the past seven to eight years. It is a fact that mozilla, firefox and opera release fixes faster than m$. .
    Whatever it is....you can't change the fact that IE is the defactor of any serious business package.....e.g. MAS only support IE5 and above so any other stuff will not work for their EGiro and CTS system

I actually downloaded Firefox and tried it.

First impression was already not good - took longer to load up than IE. Font rendering and browser behaviour was a bit unfamiliar. Even after the pipelining changes, it was not really faster than IE.

Been using IE for about 10 years since I switched from Netscape. It crashed less often.

It WORKS. I usually stick with what works rather than keep trying new stuff (although I make an exception with cameras...).

On OS X, you'll find that Firefox actually runs and loads webpages much faster than IE. And it's especially good for OS X users because of the Tab function which Safari and IE don't have. All browsing done in one window. Interface is also much simpler and more customisable, and also can prevent pop-ups.

OT abit, Safari does has tabs.

why do you think people still use MSN??

cannot send offline message
    cannot store msg history (for the earlier versions)
    lousy interface (that take up so much space)
    lousy features
    cannot set different online status to different pple (eg. icq allows me to set invisble to certain people who keep asking me how to sovle their windows problems)

ICQ started earlier and it was so successful, but why there are more and more pple using MSN recently?

reason : cos it comes preinstalled with windows and pple just use watever they got on their PC
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    On OS X, you'll find that Firefox actually runs and loads webpages much faster than IE. And it's especially good for OS X users because of the Tab function which Safari and IE don't have. All browsing done in one window. Interface is also much simpler and more customisable, and also can prevent pop-ups.
    i notice that too, wonder if apple did something to IE to make it run slower
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Skype is a better way to chat and send files than MSN.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast