Thread: ebooks and kindle or what?

Default ebooks and kindle or what?

I am a consultant and I have to read a lot of books/materials. For the pass 2 months, I have read about 10,000 pages of stuff. I was thinking of getting kindle..what do you think? Is it better to get ipad or samsung pad or whatever other brand pad?

Thanks.
    Objection !!!

Default Re: ebooks and kindle or what?

I have the Nook. I think unless you buy ebooks from Amazon or B&N directly, it is difficult to convert to compatible ebook formats for the relevant especially with diagrams and pictures. However, I like the E-Ink on the Nook Simple Touch. Easy on battery consumption and on the eyes. One charge can last for a few weeks. And the eyes don't get tired reading it.

If can find that ebook convertor.....I will suggest Nook. Else maybe I or whatever pad will be easier to accommodate the various document/ebook formats out there.

E Ink is a lot better than the padsss for reading. I got the Kindle keyboard but I just broke it by stepping on the screen, bought a Kindle paperwhite and now in transit from Amazon to SG hehe. Like Manwearshorts said, if your document in pdf format, the conversion to mobi or epub are not perfect, not same alignment, and all of them come out in B&W because of the E-ink.

For conversion, go download the calibre software, easy to use and free.

Btw, if you looking at the Kindle keyboard, can sell you my Amazon lighted cover Near mint condition, still got the leather smell.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Like Manwearshorts said, if your document in pdf format, the conversion to mobi or epub are not perfect, not same alignment, and all of them come out in B&W because of the E-ink.

For conversion, go download the calibre software, easy to use and free.
    It is MWPants not shorts!

I am using Calibre for the conversion from pdf to specifically Nook ePub. Just to clarify, it is not just becoming B/W. The alignments do go out. Images get replaced by .... . So information do get lost during the conversion. Maybe John's experience with Kindle is better.

Extracted from Calibre's website:

"Converting PDF, HTML, Word DOC, etc to EPUB

Calibre supports EPUB conversion from the following formats without any modification: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT.

Word DOC to EPUB conversion
    You’ll notice that the Word DOC format is missing from the above initial compatible format list, but this is not a problem. Just save the Word DOC file to an HTML or RTF file from within Word and you can then convert that RTF or HTML compatible file into EPUB.

Using PDF, TXT, and RTF to convert to EPUB
    PDF files will convert fine but you may lose some images in the process if they are in the vector format. TXT does not maintain any styling so your EPUB will look remarkably bland if you use TXT as your source format, RTF retains better but still limited styling as well.

Converting HTML to EPUB is preferred
    Note that HTML is a preferred source format because EPUB supports the use of CSS styling and inline images, this helps maintain styling consistency when creating and styling your ebook. "

In short, if your documentations have diagrams, pictures and such, go with those retina/OLED display devices simply for being able to open these. If you are buying eBooks from Amazon or B&H, go for their readers.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 12th December 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Buy Kindle paper white AND google nexus 7. I think its worth the $$

kindle DX can open pdf, no need to convert

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    I am a consultant and I have to read a lot of books/materials. For the pass 2 months, I have read about 10,000 pages of stuff. I was thinking of getting kindle..what do you think? Is it better to get ipad or samsung pad or whatever other brand pad?

Thanks.
    I got the nook, which is more versatile than kindle. In fact any other ebooks are more versatile than kindle.

Think 'Android' for other ebooks, and think 'Apple' for kindle. U get the drift? Kindle had its own eco system, which makes it abit more troublesome for users.

Anyway, if you are talking about business documents, you should look for ebooks that can let you read PDF, excel and word files easily and according to the actual file format.

Instead of plain ebooks, you can consider nexus 7 or ebook tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    kindle DX can open pdf, no need to convert
    The pdf does not flow in sequence, ie one page becomes 4-5 pages and not necessary in order. So reading can be quite lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    The pdf does not flow in sequence, ie one page becomes 4-5 pages and not necessary in order. So reading can be quite lost.
    no need to reflow, DX screen big enough... one a4 page per screen still can read nicely

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

I got the nook, which is more versatile than kindle. In fact any other ebooks are more versatile than kindle.

Think 'Android' for other ebooks, and think 'Apple' for kindle. U get the drift? Kindle had its own eco system, which makes it abit more troublesome for users.

Anyway, if you are talking about business documents, you should look for ebooks that can let you read PDF, excel and word files easily and according to the actual file format.

Instead of plain ebooks, you can consider nexus 7 or ebook tablets.
    Rooted kindle fire is nice.
    Alpha