Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 245

Thread: D800 User Thread II

  1. #161
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    There's another school of thought - SD for RAW and CF for JPEG. Like 64GB SD and 16GB CF - for the fact that SD is very much cheaper than CF and D800 files are damn big. So if you want to shoot RAW + full JPEG in a cheap manner, 64GB SD and 16GB CF makes sense.

    The cost of a 16GB Extreme Pro CF is about the same as a 64GB Extreme Pro SD BTW.
    That is the economy school of thought.

    The performance school of thought will be using CF card for RAW, and jpegs in SD. Simply because CF cards are so much faster even though they are more expensive.

  2. #162

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That is the economy school of thought.

    The performance school of thought will be using CF card for RAW, and jpegs in SD. Simply because CF cards are so much faster even though they are more expensive.
    That's what most people are doing actually

    But given that I would assume most D800/E users are not sports shooters that use burst mode (and not that D800/E's burst rate justifies as a sports cam), I think neither CF's 1000x speed nor SD's 633x speed really matters here. Or at least, on my amateur level, it doesn't really matter since it's all single shots, long exposures etc for landscapes and portraits.

    I do understand that it would make a difference for transfer to the PC though. But again it's up to the individual to weight - difference between 1000x and 633x is probably 1 D800/E NEF file per second. Transferring 600 files at one go meant 10mins of time saving. Might matter for professionals that transfers thousands of files on a per job basis.

  3. #163
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    That's what most people are doing actually

    But given that I would assume most D800/E users are not sports shooters that use burst mode (and not that D800/E's burst rate justifies as a sports cam), I think neither CF's 1000x speed nor SD's 633x speed really matters here. Or at least, on my amateur level, it doesn't really matter since it's all single shots, long exposures etc for landscapes and portraits.

    I do understand that it would make a difference for transfer to the PC though. But again it's up to the individual to weight - difference between 1000x and 633x is probably 1 D800/E NEF file per second. Transferring 600 files at one go meant 10mins of time saving. Might matter for professionals that transfers thousands of files on a per job basis.
    It matters a lot if you shoot video though. And the D800/e are awesome video machines.

    And performance difference can be significant actually...
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...cid=6007-12451
    Last edited by daredevil123; 4th January 2013 at 10:37 AM.

  4. #164

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It matters a lot if you shoot video though. And the D800/e are awesome video machines.
    Good point, forgot about video. HD-SLR video shooters definitely want a 1000x CF card.

  5. #165
    Member eawtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by modjo View Post
    Hi guys,

    Would like to check whether when you are shooting with bracketing mode with timer , example , 5 frames with +1 exposure ,do you encounter shoots that are not firing off ?

    Sometimes there are even errosr popping out on e display and I need to power off my camera or manually firing e remaining frames...

    FYI, I have done some isolation with my memory cards and lens and it seem like , it is a body issue ....
    Nope, don't see on my cam ...
    Last edited by eawtan; 12th January 2013 at 07:28 PM.

  6. #166

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    anyone using this camera for events? how do u handle those huge RAW files..
    Im considering this camera but.... Im processing 300-400+ raw every event shoot.
    D7100|17-50 F2.8|50mm|SB 700|OM-D EM-5| 14mm F2.5 | 25mm F1.4
    http://facebook.com/mackiefoto

  7. #167

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by mackie8 View Post
    anyone using this camera for events? how do u handle those huge RAW files..
    Im considering this camera but.... Im processing 300-400+ raw every event shoot.
    Your concerned with your card size, or your computer?

    If you are using very old computer systems like i3 or first gen i3/i5, you may have a problem.

  8. #168

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    im using a 3yr old MBP with 4gb RAM only... my problem is the lightroom 4 might hang... while processing....
    D7100|17-50 F2.8|50mm|SB 700|OM-D EM-5| 14mm F2.5 | 25mm F1.4
    http://facebook.com/mackiefoto

  9. #169

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by mackie8 View Post
    im using a 3yr old MBP with 4gb RAM only... my problem is the lightroom 4 might hang... while processing....
    Don't think it will hang, but I guess a 3 year old MBP might be using older lower end processors like i3, you may just experience lags in LR4.

  10. #170

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Hey Everyone,
    Just a question before I finally buy a D800 next week, and one which is hard to find an answer for.
    I want to get the answer from some D800 shooters, because the spec sheet from Nikon is questioned by some other sites:

    Can you shoot the 5:4 (and other) cropped mode in RAW NEF?

    Or is the RAW format only available in FX and DX?

    I need RAW in 5:4, but may settle for TIFF.
    I dont want to crop after the shoot, I like to compose the shot at the location.
    My main focus will be in 5:4 mode since its closer in aspect ratio to my work style (Currently in 645 Medium Format film).

    Sincerest apologies if already discussed. I have been away from Clubsnap for some time.

  11. #171

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by masterjord View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Just a question before I finally buy a D800 next week, and one which is hard to find an answer for.
    I want to get the answer from some D800 shooters, because the spec sheet from Nikon is questioned by some other sites:

    Can you shoot the 5:4 (and other) cropped mode in RAW NEF?

    Or is the RAW format only available in FX and DX?

    I need RAW in 5:4, but may settle for TIFF.
    I dont want to crop after the shoot, I like to compose the shot at the location.
    My main focus will be in 5:4 mode since its closer in aspect ratio to my work style (Currently in 645 Medium Format film).

    Sincerest apologies if already discussed. I have been away from Clubsnap for some time.
    Nikon D800 and D800E 36MP full-frame DSLRs announced: Digital Photography Review

  12. #172

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Hi,

    Apologies if this has been asked before; I am trying to decide between a D600 and D800; may I know what is the best price for a D800 at the moment, either grey market or local warranty. I am going to buy next weekend. Thanks.

  13. #173

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by hukang View Post
    Hi,

    Apologies if this has been asked before; I am trying to decide between a D600 and D800; may I know what is the best price for a D800 at the moment, either grey market or local warranty. I am going to buy next weekend. Thanks.
    From now until next weekend, you have tons of time to check the Nikon price guide or call the shops.

  14. #174

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    From now until next weekend, you have tons of time to check the Nikon price guide or call the shops.
    gee thanks, what a lifesaver.

    I suspect the Nikon price guide is not upto date, so if someone who knows the prices is willing to share, I'd welcome it.

  15. #175

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by hukang View Post
    gee thanks, what a lifesaver.

    I suspect the Nikon price guide is not upto date, so if someone who knows the prices is willing to share, I'd welcome it.
    There is one here by CS member

    You want updated price, here it is -
    http://bit.ly/UUPN2u

    You want to contribute, use this form -
    http://bit.ly/WaDz9n
    But really, nothing beats asking the shop.

  16. #176

    Default

    This may be asked before . But pardon me, is just too many pages to go through.


    1) anyone tried 17-35mm f2.8 and 28-70f2.8 lenses with D800?
    Pictures to show? Since these are old lenses on a new camera, wonder how is the sharpness like.

    2) anyone happen to get quotes for this toy recently?


    Thanks !

  17. #177

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by travelsnapper View Post
    This may be asked before . But pardon me, is just too many pages to go through.


    1) anyone tried 17-35mm f2.8 and 28-70f2.8 lenses with D800?
    Pictures to show? Since these are old lenses on a new camera, wonder how is the sharpness like.

    2) anyone happen to get quotes for this toy recently?


    Thanks !
    D800 will out resolve them. Heck, if you look at 100% resolution, from my experience 17-35mm is already stretching with D600's 24MP.

  18. #178

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Some test shots with the D800 and 17-35mm here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon...ml#post7847205

    Bottom line: sharp center, corner performance falls off drastically, but still useable.

  19. #179

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    can't decide with or without 'E'
    any regrets not getting the 'E' version ?

  20. #180

    Default Re: D800 User Thread II

    Maybe this article can anwer some of your queries

    Nikon D800 / D800E for Wedding Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by x0tiq View Post
    can't decide with or without 'E'
    any regrets not getting the 'E' version ?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •