Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Air 11" with Photoshop CS

Blog Entries

Default MacBook Air 11" with Photoshop CS

I am wondering if anyone here uses Photoshop CS4, 5 or even 6 on 11 inch MacBook Air? Would like to know your experience with it.

Default Re: MacBook Air 11" with Photoshop CS

tried it. totally killed my interest in editing. the workspace is simply too small.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manalishi
    tried it. totally killed my interest in editing. the workspace is simply too small.
    Hmm. In terms of speed? Coz if the space is too small i might consider a 13" mac air.

speed is ok. make sure u have enough RAM. mine is a 4gb RAM, HD3000. Oh, but if u r using nik software, think best to go for higher RAM. In my PC laptop, sometimes it will crash when using nik.

suggest u check out the pro for batt life and scalability.
    Last edited by manalishi; 11th December 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    I am wondering if anyone here uses Photoshop CS4, 5 or even 6 on 11 inch MacBook Air? Would like to know your experience with it.
    What are you using now?

It really depends on your tolerance level. I currently run a relatively ok PC (Phenom X6, 8GB RAM, etc) for processing photographs and probably would die trying to use the MBA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Some questions are relevant to ask again. Computers are upgraded over time. From what I hear, mac air improved quite a fair bit from the first version. Perhaps my question should be more directed towards newer version of mac air.

FYI, I've read various forums overseas about use of photoshop on mac air.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 11th December 2012 at 11:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    What are you using now?

It really depends on your tolerance level. I currently run a relatively ok PC (Phenom X6, 8GB RAM, etc) for processing photographs and probably would die trying to use the MBA.
    I thought so too, was wondering if running on 8GB RAM on mac air will help. Thought of running photoshop on a windows computer for quite awhile but i've heard of people complaining it is laggy on windows, but my photoshop is lagging when I go beyond 5 layers and running iPhoto with photoshop is suicidal. lol.

I thought so too, was wondering if running on 8GB RAM on mac air will help. Thought of running photoshop on a windows computer for quite awhile but i've heard of people complaining it is laggy on windows, but my photoshop is lagging when I go beyond 5 layers and running iPhoto with photoshop is suicidal. lol.
    I used to work for Macromedia and Adobe. Internally we would always recommend Windows over Mac.

FYI I do not see any 8GB macbook air on the apple store. On the air, the RAM is soldered on the motherboard and is not upgradeable.
    Alpha

Having more RAM should help somewhat, 8 GB sounds reasonable enough. Like I said, it depends on what you're used to. I started photography with a cheap 1.6 Ghz Celeron laptop back in 2006, it was ok to me then because I didn't know better (I think even opening the 6 megapixel K100D file would show the progress bar). I switched to a 1.8 Ghz dual core laptop during my studies which I used for 3 years, which was so much better. Still died whenever I was processing panoramas with layers though. I still remember feeling like burning the laptop when I spent 2 hours correcting problematic panoramas (I didn't have a levelling head then, so there was a lot of liquification and cloning), forgetting to save, and looking at the message that "Photoshop CS2 has stopped working..." I think the Macbook Air will probably be better than either of these 2 examples.. (improved architecture over the 1.8 dual Ghz dual core) So light to moderate editing will be fine, just be prepared for issues when doing more compex edits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I used to work for Macromedia and Adobe. Internally we would always recommend Windows over Mac.

FYI I do not see any 8GB macbook air on the apple store. On the air, the RAM is soldered on the motherboard and is not upgradeable.
    Read, search, see.

Configure - Apple Store (Singapore)

Pricey, of course. Windows is a far more intuitive system, as I use Windows at work. So my initial thought when getting a Mac was to run on two systems, in a sense also to separate my editing work from my normal work as editing will take up quite a fair but of memory and ram and I didn't want that to hold up my normal work.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 11th December 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Having more RAM should help somewhat, 8 GB sounds reasonable enough. Like I said, it depends on what you're used to. I started photography with a cheap 1.6 Ghz Celeron laptop back in 2006, it was ok to me then because I didn't know better (I think even opening the 6 megapixel K100D file would show the progress bar). I switched to a 1.8 Ghz dual core laptop during my studies which I used for 3 years, which was so much better. Still died whenever I was processing panoramas with layers though. I still remember feeling like burning the laptop when I spent 2 hours correcting problematic panoramas (I didn't have a levelling head then, so there was a lot of liquification and cloning), forgetting to save, and looking at the message that "Photoshop CS2 has stopped working..." I think the Macbook Air will probably be better than either of these 2 examples.. (improved architecture over the 1.8 dual Ghz dual core) So light to moderate editing will be fine, just be prepared for issues when doing more compex edits.
    Reading your problems, I think I should just hang on for at least a year more. Doesn't seem my troubles with my current setup is as bad as yours! Cheers!

Reading your problems, I think I should just hang on for at least a year more. Doesn't seem my troubles with my current setup is as bad as yours! Cheers!
    Oh no, my troubles are long over.

Can spend the money on a decent monitor (if you don't already have one), I guess. That will always be relevant.

Blog Entries

Oh no, my troubles are long over.

Can spend the money on a decent monitor (if you don't already have one), I guess. That will always be relevant.
    Actually, I'm reasonably satisfied with my monitor. Not sure what are better options, but I see the hype surrounding the retina display and I just feel it is over-rated. Or can save the money!

Read, search, see.

Configure - Apple Store (Singapore)

Pricey, of course. Windows is a far more intuitive system, as I use Windows at work. So my initial thought when getting a Mac was to run on two systems, in a sense also to separate my editing work from my normal work as editing will take up quite a fair but of memory and ram and I didn't want that to hold up my normal work.
    Ah, it's a customized option. For that price I'd much rather get a mbp
    Alpha

Actually, I'm reasonably satisfied with my monitor. Not sure what are better options, but I see the hype surrounding the retina display and I just feel it is over-rated. Or can save the money!
    One of the best for photo editing is the dell ultrasharp series.
    Alpha

Back to screen size..... I'm using the 15' MBP and already feel that something larger would be more ideal. Given that, can't imagine working with an 11' or 13' screen.

Is your monitor gamut decent ? If so, then yeah, I don't really understand the craze about Retina display. Can understand for iPhone or even iPad... But not for computer monitors. But I guess people just demand more and more.

I do have a 13 inch MBA that I use for editing when I travel. I find the 11 inch to be too small for photoshop work. The panels alone eats lot of space.

Retina display has a better color gamut (~99% sRGB) compared to the standard display (~70% sRGB) on the unibody. The only other useful feature is the scaling, being able to have the workspace resolution of 1920 x 1200. Adobe has only updated their photoshop to support retina few hours ago.

At the end of the day, it's not going to be fast on MBA, if you only use it when you are out, then it's ok I suppose. My old mbp has specs of newer MBA and it is slow. The screen on 11" might be too small for editing. It's kinda personal choice.

13" mbp with retina screen might be better... 15" even better.

To do editing seriously, iMac is rather good if you prefer Mac and all in one package. Though, pc might be cheaper option, but I just love Mac OS.

Regards,

Hart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast