Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Re: Whats your choice?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ameh11 View Post
    My Choice will be 24mm.. coz it is one of the best
    f2.8 too?

  2. #22

    Default

    Just buy what u need. Ur money can be better spent elsewhere

  3. #23

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    24 50 85

  4. #24
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    24mm for me.
    It's my main workhorse for landscape and wedding ad assignment.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sukhoi37 View Post
    24mm for me.
    It's my main workhorse for landscape and wedding ad assignment.
    Agree 24mm, esp the 1.4.. just not sure how the 2.8 fair? 1.4 too ex and overkill for me.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    i typically use 17, 24, 50, 85, 180.

    sometimes i ll have the 35mm along in stead of the 24 when i want a slightly more natural perspective for people shots. if you can only have one, get the 24, use DX crop mode to get a 35 =P if you re not afraid of manual focus, the 24/2.8 AIs is very impressive.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    i typically use 17, 24, 50, 85, 180.

    sometimes i ll have the 35mm along in stead of the 24 when i want a slightly more natural perspective for people shots. if you can only have one, get the 24, use DX crop mode to get a 35 =P if you re not afraid of manual focus, the 24/2.8 AIs is very impressive.
    Thanks bro... an idea....

  8. #28

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    all prime lens: i would get 28G and 85G
    zoom+prime : 24-85VR (or 24-120VR if u like constant aperture) and 85G


  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N-user

    For general walkabout shooting and some form of event shooting....
    With these purposes, you will not go wrong with the 16-35 or 17-35.

    My 28mm is going off after acquiring the 16-35, just awaiting pickup from my friend.

    If die die must be prime, then I will say take the widest one from your short list . To be frank, 24mm is also not as wide as you may think.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

  10. #30

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    I went through the same thing as you. Initially I bought the 28mm and I was without a UWA. Eventually I sold off and acquired a 12-24 UWA and bought the 35mm f/2D.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    With these purposes, you will not go wrong with the 16-35 or 17-35.

    My 28mm is going off after acquiring the 16-35, just awaiting pickup from my friend.

    If die die must be prime, then I will say take the widest one from your short list . To be frank, 24mm is also not as wide as you may think.
    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    I went through the same thing as you. Initially I bought the 28mm and I was without a UWA. Eventually I sold off and acquired a 12-24 UWA and bought the 35mm f/2D.
    Thanks bro for the advise.... hmmm... I not so much into "too" UWA.... actually very much like the 16-35mm/17-35mm range..... cover the 20mm, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm... ........ just hesistant on the price.... was looking at 24-85VR... not expensive.... I will be setting up a mirorless system..... just wondering I just go all prime for landscape, Potrait and get a zoom for more important event shooting....and mirorless setup for all things else.....

  12. #32

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Thanks bro for the advise.... hmmm... I not so much into "too" UWA.... actually very much like the 16-35mm/17-35mm range..... cover the 20mm, 24mm, 28mm and 35mm... ........ just hesistant on the price.... was looking at 24-85VR... not expensive.... I will be setting up a mirorless system..... just wondering I just go all prime for landscape, Potrait and get a zoom for more important event shooting....and mirorless setup for all things else.....
    Really depends on what use you have for each of the focal length. For landscapes and portraits where you have all the time to shoot and if you want the best of that focal length, primes seems to be a good option. You can even consider manual focus primes (new and old design), there are a handful that yields good performance if you don't mind manual focusing for landscapes or even portraits.

    For important event shooting, forget about 24-85VR. If it's really so important, get the 24-70 or 28-70 for the f/2.8, unless you're willing to pump the ISO and provided your camera model can handle high ISO well. Using a fast prime is also okay if you know the flow of event well in case you need a lens change (don't change at critical time) or you know what you'll be shooting and use the appropriate focal length accordingly. If you need something versatile for you to respond to moments, then a fast zoom will be handy.

    Even with ISO monsters such as 5D3 and 1DX (sorry for mentioning Canon products in Nikon section, cos I do not have experience with the D4/D3S, I'm not exactly happy with the D800E/D600 in terms of ISO management) in which I've used them before, a f/4 zoom like 24-105L is really WOLS and I'm not keen in pumping the ISO even though the 5D3/1DX had good ISO management. Of course if the cost is a problem, either make do with your current budget or save up for something better later
    Last edited by avsquare; 11th December 2012 at 04:54 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Noted your advise bro. Thank you.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    24 of course but to me it's not really wide enough...........................

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    24 of course but to me it's not really wide enough...........................
    haaaa we are always looking for something wider (for landscape) or longer (birding)....

  16. #36
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Lets say you have a FF body.... you have the 50mm and he 85mm... and now you are looking for a wider lens....
    Which will you go for:

    1. 24mm
    2. 28mm
    3. 35mm

    constraint to only ur 3 choices;
    imho;
    1. 24 if u have big budget, (inclusive of AF-S 35mm F/1.4G)
    2. 28 if u have middlebudget.
    3. 35 if u have the least bidget. (assume u refering AF 35mm F/2D)

    if looking for wider then 24mm is the widest...
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76 View Post
    constraint to only ur 3 choices;
    imho;
    1. 24 if u have big budget, (inclusive of AF-S 35mm F/1.4G)
    2. 28 if u have middlebudget.
    3. 35 if u have the least bidget. (assume u refering AF 35mm F/2D)

    if looking for wider then 24mm is the widest...
    Thank bro.... will need to go test out and see which I prefer... confirm not the f/1.4... no budget for that.... if 24 will be the f2.8D.... or the 28f/1.G.....

  18. #38

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    i'd get a 24mm or 28mm. im planning on getting the 50mm f1.8G and the 28mm f1.8G as that fits my budget, along with the full frame D600!
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

  19. #39
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    it really depends on the angle of view that you like

    for me, i chose the 16-35 f4 VR

    it has ultra wide and 35mm that i like
    no money to buy the 35mm 1.4 prime
    btw the 28mm f1.8 is a nice lens too

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: Whats your choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    it really depends on the angle of view that you like

    for me, i chose the 16-35 f4 VR

    it has ultra wide and 35mm that i like
    no money to buy the 35mm 1.4 prime
    btw the 28mm f1.8 is a nice lens too
    Yap... will test it out and if really like the 16-35, will save up for it..... plus point like you mention it cover 24, 28, 35... sweet.... else likely to be 28mm...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •