Thread: Macro: Butterfly

Blog Entries

Default Macro: Butterfly

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Technical aspects of a macro work. DoF, sharpness, lighting, exposure and composition.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    A shot of butterfly.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Taken using Pentax K5 with Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro at ISO3200 using f/5.6 for 1/1250s. No flash or converters,
    extention tubes or filters used.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Seems to have some degree of noise to me. This is the first attempt at macro, thus I hope to garner opinions and see what to work on next. In terms of lighting and other add-ons, my objective was to do my first attempt with just the lens only and see how it turns out then from there perhaps basing on a few more attempts then work out what I need to get to add on to the tools I will be using for macro.

Default Re: Macro: Butterfly

Not a pro..but i like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata76
    Not a pro..but i like this.
    Thank you. Glad it works for you

good catch, butterflies not easy!

new in macro too... just offering what I know... I think DoF a bit thin, tip of wings are getting out of focus. What I read usually for macro work would need apertures of F8-11 or even higher, shutter speed may not need that high around 1/125-1/250s depending on what you want to capture (thus can reduce your ISO). Or if want wings to be more in focus try to shoot in side profile.

camping here to learn from what the real pros say

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng
    good catch, butterflies not easy!

new in macro too... just offering what I know... I think DoF a bit thin, tip of wings are getting out of focus. What I read usually for macro work would need apertures of F8-11 or even higher, shutter speed may not need that high around 1/125-1/250s depending on what you want to capture (thus can reduce your ISO). Or if want wings to be more in focus try to shoot in side profile.

camping here to learn from what the real pros say
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah still finding my way around this. Would love some feedback from experienced shooters as well to shed some light.

Is this shot in singapore? If yes, I would like to inform you, that even though I am not too sure of the ID, it looks like you have captured a rare butterfly on your first macro work, The Courtesan (Euripus nyctelius euploeoides).

You can probably try to confirm with some research. :P

Thats good for a start.. well done.

Blog Entries

Thank you folks! Yes i shot this in Singapore at the Zoo. I've not seen a brown butterfly. But they do make very good macro subjects! Yes, trying to find out more.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 10th December 2012 at 11:49 PM.

Nice capture, is a perfect photo nothing to add. To shoot micro to achieve better DOF the f/stop for example f/9 or 11 will help, to reduce the noise level lower ISO should help and that is why flash will need to come in.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

You are doing good with the shot. Get in closer to subject so as your DOF is better without those massy background, try to parallel your subject . Try use f8 onward unless you want to create a shallow DOF. Keep shooting....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    Nice capture, is a perfect photo nothing to add. To shoot micro to achieve better DOF the f/stop for example f/9 or 11 will help, to reduce the noise level lower ISO should help and that is why flash will need to come in.
    I thought of learning with ambient light first before taking one step up, to make a diffuser for the pop-up flash before ever considering getting a ring flash. But then again, from the shutter speed I think my ISO was overkill and too kiasu lah. lol. Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by jameskkmok View Post
    You are doing good with the shot. Get in closer to subject so as your DOF is better without those massy background, try to parallel your subject . Try use f8 onward unless you want to create a shallow DOF. Keep shooting....
    Noted about the DoF. Actually I reckoned the background is messy while composing, so I set a wider aperture. Not sure about going nearer, as I remember going quite close, I think quite close to the MFD? Thanks for the feedback!