Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: K-5II/K-5IIs Users, Please Share Your Experiences and Photos Here

Default Re: K-5II/K-5IIs Users, Please Share Your Experiences and Photos Here

Other than the increased sharpness of K5-IIs in my birding shots, I would also like to share another advantage of K5-IIs over K5 in landscape shooting with ND filter.
    When shooting with B+W ND110 (10 stops) ND filter, K5 is unable to AF most of the time, the success rate is extremely low, I have to AF without the filter then put it back and switch to MF. This is rather inconvenient and wasting time, besides there's a possibilty of dropping the filter into the water as the camera is already positioned, framed and locked in the tripod.

With K5-IIs, the improved low light AF is superb, the success rate is high and I can take more shots of sunset as every minute counts.
    This shot was taken yesterday using K5-IIs + ND110, I managed to AF with the filter on, despite it was at twilight timing.

Skyline sunset (2013) by kengoh8888, on Flickr

Had the K5ii for 5 months now, recently bought the k30 too.
    Do note that I'm evaluating a K5ii from a event photographer's perspective. So things like tethering/pttl (my major complains) may not apply to everyone, despite its quirks I really do like the K5ii.
    Pros | Pentax K5ii
    -Very accurate AF especially in low light
    -Magnesium alloy/steel chassis (best in class)
    -Shutter is very silent, its quieter than the d7000's silent shutter mode
    -Superb handling, plenty of buttons to adjust on the fly
    -Size, extremely compact
    -100% viewfinder
    -Excellent LCD, works great in sunlight
    -Weather resistant body
    -7fps
    -Top LCD
    -Numerous ports for video input/output etc
    -Feels like a 1Dx with battery grip installed (really badass)
    -Best in class dynamic range, extremely malleable raw files
    -Very clean high iso performance, usable to iso 3200
    -In body IS is EXTREMELY good, 1/10s without blur.
    -Auto bracketing
    -Works with lots of old manual lenses (There's a catch in focus function)
    -Good pentax firmware support
    -Affordable

Cons | Pentax K5ii
    -AF-C tracking is primitive vs 7D/d7000
    -AF points can only be changed using the d-pad (there's no d-pad on the battery grip!)
    -AF points are spaced far apart (I use the focus/recompose method to circumvent this)
    -1 SD card slot
    -No focus peaking
    -Video is capped at 30fps (no magic lantern)
    -No proper tethering support....(extremely important for studio work)
    -p-ttl is extremely slow, there's a 1sec delay between preflash and the actual flash. Because of this I keep getting blinkers (circumvented by using manual flash)
    -The hand grip is abit chunky, no place for pinky to rest on (solved with battery grip)
    -K30 seems slightly faster ($599?)
    -K30 has focus peaking

Its a superb tank of a camera, that can hold its own against the bigger boys in terms of image quality and performance.
    Last edited by jazzper; 22nd May 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kengoh View Post
    With K5-IIs, the improved low light AF is superb, the success rate is high and I can take more shots of sunset as every minute counts.
    This shot was taken yesterday using K5-IIs + ND110, I managed to AF with the filter on, despite it was at twilight timing.
    That's good to hear, but just to highlight that for 95% of landscape shots you can just use the infinity focus point and stop down. I hardly ever use AF for scenes..

The remaining 5% you would probably have to do focus stacking anyways, for optimal sharpness.

That aside, it does show that K5 IIs low light AF is wonderful, low light + 10 stop ND filter still can focus.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

That's good to hear, but just to highlight that for 95% of landscape shots you can just use the infinity focus point and stop down. I hardly ever use AF for scenes..

The remaining 5% you would probably have to do focus stacking anyways, for optimal sharpness.

That aside, it does show that K5 IIs low light AF is wonderful, low light + 10 stop ND filter still can focus.
    What is focus stacking? Paiseh.
    GR,K2,K3, DA15Ltd, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5, K135 f2.8, K55 f1.8, Q, Q2K, Q10, 01020306,FA31,FA100WR

An Introduction to Focus Stacking

By layering and brushing in the in focus part, you get a picture that is in focus from end to end. Very useful for Macro shots (eg jewelry).

Quote Originally Posted by jazzper View Post
    Had the K5ii for 5 months now, recently bought the k30 too.

Pros | Pentax K5ii
    -Very accurate AF especially in low light
    -Magnesium alloy/steel chassis (best in class)
    -Shutter is very silent, its quieter than the d7000's silent shutter mode
    -Superb handling, plenty of buttons to adjust on the fly
    -Size, extremely compact
    -100% viewfinder
    -Excellent LCD, works great in sunlight
    -Weather resistant body
    -7fps
    -Top LCD
    -Numerous ports for video input/output etc
    -Feels like a 1Dx with battery grip installed (really badass)
    -Best in class dynamic range, extremely malleable raw files
    -Very clean high iso performance, usable to iso 3200
    -In body IS is EXTREMELY good, 1/10s without blur.
    -Auto bracketing
    -Works with lots of old manual lenses (There's a catch in focus function)
    -Good pentax firmware support
    -Affordable

Cons | Pentax K5ii
    -AF-C tracking is primitive vs 7D/d7000
    -AF points can only be changed using the d-pad (there's no d-pad on the battery grip!)
    -AF points are spaced far apart (I use the focus/recompose method to circumvent this)
    -1 SD card slot
    -No focus peaking
    -Video is capped at 30fps (no magic lantern)
    -No proper tethering support....(extremely important for studio work)
    -p-ttl is extremely slow, there's a 1sec delay between preflash and the actual flash. Because of this I keep getting blinkers (circumvented by using manual flash)
    -The hand grip is abit chunky, no place for pinky to rest on (solved with battery grip)
    -K30 seems slightly faster ($599?)
    -K30 has focus peaking

Its a superb tank of a camera, that can hold its own against the bigger boys in terms of image quality and performance.
    Very nice write up. Both cameras are excellent, more than enough for general use. If only Pentax could improve on the flash part.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post

Very nice write up. Both cameras are excellent, more than enough for general use. If only Pentax could improve on the flash part.
    Agree with you, especially your point on the flash system.

Even if the pTTL is unreliable(as stated by others), I guess what I'd love them to do is to allow wireless manual control for an off-shoe flash.

Kinda sian if have to keep walking over just to adjust the flash.. LoL!
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8

Thanks Wee Kiat for sharing your experience and workflow, I used to MF >F10 with infinity last time, now kaisu a bit AF to double confirm it's focussed.
    But for that shot I can't use infinity MF as it was shot at F5 as I do not want to use Bulb mode and to maintain shutter speed of 30 sec I have to crank up the ISO to 500. Can imagine how dark it was at that time, I have to AF 3 attempts to get it focussed.
    You focus stacking workflow is interesting, learn something new.

Thanks Wee Kiat for sharing your experience and workflow, I used to MF >F10 with infinity last time, now kaisu a bit AF to double confirm it's focussed.
    But for that shot I can't use infinity MF as it was shot at F5 as I do not want to use Bulb mode and to maintain shutter speed of 30 sec I have to crank up the ISO to 500. Can imagine how dark it was at that time, I have to AF 3 attempts to get it focussed.
    Hi bro, can share with me how did you get your k5 to work with 1/3rd ISO increments. My K5 and k30 seem to only be able to +- 1 stop ISO. ISO 100-200-400-800 (no ISO 500 etc)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzper View Post
    Hi bro, can share with me how did you get your k5 to work with 1/3rd ISO increments. My K5 and k30 seem to only be able to +- 1 stop ISO. ISO 100-200-400-800 (no ISO 500 etc)
    Under Customized Settings C1, EV Steps set to 1/3 and C2 Sensitivity Steps set to "As EV Steps", this applies to K5, not sure of K30 though.
    Last edited by kengoh; 24th May 2013 at 10:25 PM.

If it is so dark with the ND , Y not just take off the ND filter and up yr aperture to F11 and remain iso at 80 ?
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Under Customized Settings C1, EV Steps set to 1/3 and C2 Sensitivity Steps set to "As EV Steps", this applies to K5, not sure of K30 though.
    Yes same for K30.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    If it is so dark with the ND , Y not just take off the ND filter and up yr aperture to F11 and remain iso at 80 ?
    Simon the shot before this shot (<1min difference)I've removed the ND, at 11mm, F29 (intentionally not to use 10mm so that I can use >F22), iso 80, I even overexpose to +0.7EV (using bracketing to compensate back), I could only get 4sec shutter speed which is not what I wanted.
    Base on that shot if I removed the ND, it will be: 1/30sec, iso 500, F5.0, the best I can get is iso 80, F22 (not a good aperture to use), 4sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin TK View Post
    Yes same for K30.
    Thanks bro.

Simon the shot before this shot (<1min difference)I've removed the ND, at 11mm, F29 (intentionally not to use 10mm so that I can use >F22), iso 80, I even overexpose to +0.7EV (using bracketing to compensate back), I could only get 4sec shutter speed which is not what I wanted.
    Base on that shot if I removed the ND, it will be: 1/30sec, iso 500, F5.0, the best I can get is iso 80, F22 (not a good aperture to use), 4sec.

Thanks bro.
    maybe you need a different ND filter for that timing . A lighter ND filter . Had you heard about Haida filter ? I heard it is quite value for money .

There is many way to overcome the situation you r facing

If having a long exposure is critical , I suggest you to maintain a set of ND filter with you 3stop , 6 stop and 10 stop all for different timing .
    My Flickr ->Flickr

maybe you need a different ND filter for that timing . A lighter ND filter . Had you heard about Haida filter ? I heard it is quite value for money .

There is many way to overcome the situation you r facing

If having a long exposure is critical , I suggest you to maintain a set of ND filter with you 3stop , 6 stop and 10 stop all for different timing .
    You are right to have a set of different stops of ND filters, I have a 3 stops HiTech ND but it's a square filter, it quite dark at that time so didn't want to change the setup.

You are right to have a set of different stops of ND filters, I have a 3 stops HiTech ND but it's a square filter, it quite dark at that time so didn't want to change the setup.
    Ha . If I will you i will had change the filter . Shooting at F5 iso 500 just didn't sound so right for me myself . ha
    My Flickr ->Flickr

I am confused now as it's doesn't made sense for the work flow. If it is so dark, why cant you take the image without ND filter?
    And also, AF + ND filter and shooting at f5 with 500 ISO for landscape? Sound so complicated, are you testing the k5iis limitation or taking proper landscape photography, sorry my 2 cents.

No intention to heat up the forum here... but I hope proper workflow is conducted here instead of misleading

Ha . If I will you i will had change the filter . Shooting at F5 iso 500 just didn't sound so right for me myself . ha
    Yes, that setting is not correct, just want to shoot the last shot and proceed to the Benjamin Sheares Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by kangwoei View Post
    I am confused now as it's doesn't made sense for the work flow. If it is so dark, why cant you take the image without ND filter?
    And also, AF + ND filter and shooting at f5 with 500 ISO for landscape? Sound so complicated, are you testing the k5iis limitation or taking proper landscape photography, sorry my 2 cents.

No intention to heat up the forum here... but I hope proper workflow is conducted here instead of misleading
    Answer as above, please don't follow that setting.

Just to add on, for landscape shooters I would strongly recommend using hyper focal distance method to focus (this is done in MF mode). If you have lens like DA15mm, it comes with hyper focal distance scale (I think all DA/FA ltd come with that), super handy....

Below is the hyper focal distance scale....

Last edited by jasonlel; 25th May 2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Nikon D700, Nikkor 20mm f2.8, 35mm/50mm f1.8G

Jasonlel, that stock photo just shows the DOF scale of the DA15mm with the focusing ring set at infinity. The hyperfocal distance depends on the aperture used. So if f/22 is used for example, then the infinity mark needs to be aligned to the f/22 mark on the DOF scale (on the left). The hyperfocal distance can then be read out (from infinity to closer than 0.5m as shown above).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast