Thread: 1st mirrorless camera - Sony or Samsung (or Panasonic)

Default 1st mirrorless camera - Sony or Samsung (or Panasonic)

Dear all,

I started off in clubsnap helping my friends sell their cameras, but now I have been bitten by the photography bug and would like to join in the fun too.

I plan to start off small, and do not wish to lug too many stuff around (shoulder cannot take too much weight due to NS injury), so I am looking at the mirrorless systems. My budget is about $700, and am looking at getting a 2nd-hand system from the B&S section here.

I have played around briefly with my colleagues' Sony NEX and Samsung NX systems and kinda like the handling of both. I am more inclined to get a Samsung system as the price of the body + kit lenses seems to be much cheaper, and Samsung lenses are priced more competively than Sony's lenses.

Before I take the plunge and make such a 'huge' and potentially life-long investment, I would like to seek the advice of all the experts here. Would Samsung be an OK choice, or should I stick to the more established Sonys? Of couse, my collegues who use the Samsung NXs say that the Samsung bodies and lenses are of equivalent quality as compared to the pricier Sony (and Panasonic) ones, just that Samsung tends to be cheaper as it is still not that established in the camera world, but of course nothing beats hearing from the experts here.

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: 1st mirrorless camera - Sony or Samsung (or Panasonic)

Quote Originally Posted by mstech2007 View Post
    Dear all,

I started off in clubsnap helping my friends sell their cameras, but now I have been bitten by the photography bug and would like to join in the fun too.

I plan to start off small, and do not wish to lug too many stuff around (shoulder cannot take too much weight due to NS injury), so I am looking at the mirrorless systems. My budget is about $700, and am looking at getting a 2nd-hand system from the B&S section here.

I have played around briefly with my colleagues' Sony NEX and Samsung NX systems and kinda like the handling of both. I am more inclined to get a Samsung system as the price of the body + kit lenses seems to be much cheaper, and Samsung lenses are priced more competively than Sony's lenses.

Before I take the plunge and make such a 'huge' and potentially life-long investment, I would like to seek the advice of all the experts here. Would Samsung be an OK choice, or should I stick to the more established Sonys? Of couse, my collegues who use the Samsung NXs say that the Samsung bodies and lenses are of equivalent quality as compared to the pricier Sony (and Panasonic) ones, just that Samsung tends to be cheaper as it is still not that established in the camera world, but of course nothing beats hearing from the experts here.

Many thanks in advance.
    Basically choosing a mirrorless camera is the same as choosing a DSLR or any cameras in the market. The first thing you need to know is, what you wanted to shoot? Some camera had very fast AF system (eg. Panasonic and Olympus), some of them have weather proof body (Olympus and Sony - I think, for NEX-7), some of them have large sensor and some had small sensor.

There are pretty large number of mirrorless interchangeable lens camera in the market as per date, of course all of them performed like they were designed to do and all of them performed well.

I have not handle the Samsung before, but according to many, the camera is really good and had an APS-C sensor. As for Sony NEX, it is very well established as you have already mentioned, the native lenses for the NEX system might be a bit lacking but with an adapter, you can easily mount all the alpha mount lenses (some are Carl Zeiss lenses).

This is also one reason you need to know what you really want to shoot, there are lenses just for specific genre (macro, wildlife, etc etc). Do check out other models too,

Nikon - 1 series (small sensor though)
    Canon - EOS-M (slow AF and only 2 native lenses presently, although with an adapter, you can mount the EF/ EF-S lens, but if AF speed is a must, then you can forget about it).
    Pentax - Q (very small sensor), K01 (APS-C size sensor).
    Panasonic - m4/3
    Olympus - m4/3 (sony built sensor)
    Samsung - NX
    Sony - NEX

Go to the shop and play with these cameras, see which one you like best, then get it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

just get samsung, IQ in RAW format is comparable to NEX and price is cheaper. They also have better selection of lens than NEX.

Whoa, thanks for the expert opinions. My apologies for not indicating in my initial post what I want to shoot.

1. Special moments of my 3 young kids - so need a system that can take fast-moving action - fast AF
    2. Nature shots such as wildlife (animals, insects) & plants - so need zoom and macro.

And yup, will go to the shops to play around with the other models too. Have been playing with Samsung and Sony (Nex 5N) only as these are what my colleagues have

Whoa, thanks for the expert opinions. My apologies for not indicating in my initial post what I want to shoot.

1. Special moments of my 3 young kids - so need a system that can take fast-moving action - fast AF
    2. Nature shots such as wildlife (animals, insects) & plants - so need zoom and macro.

And yup, will go to the shops to play around with the other models too. Have been playing with Samsung and Sony (Nex 5N) only as these are what my colleagues have
    Based on wad u wrote here, I would actually suggest Nikon 1. Gd AF, and smaller sensor means more reach if u adapt Nikon lenses...
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by Maykind View Post
    just get samsung, IQ in RAW format is comparable to NEX and price is cheaper. They also have better selection of lens than NEX.
    not everyone shoots in RAW.

and BTW. most cameras will have almost similar outputs in RAW format.

what is most important is that you're comfortable with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Maykind View Post
    So sad that you have to shoot in RAW just to get good output.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

You can shoot great pictures with any system. But buying into any system, you have consider more than just price. Other things to consider is the roadmap on the how the system will develop and it will meet your needs now as well into the future.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks to all the advice from the experts. Will go to the shops this weekend to try the other brands.

And as daredevil123 said, another important issue to note is the roadmap on how the system will develop. Will take this into consideration and do more active research. While the roadmaps for the more established brands seem pretty clear, I am not so certain of the newer kid on the block...

Blog Entries

Thanks to all the advice from the experts. Will go to the shops this weekend to try the other brands.

And as daredevil123 said, another important issue to note is the roadmap on how the system will develop. Will take this into consideration and do more active research. While the roadmaps for the more established brands seem pretty clear, I am not so certain of the newer kid on the block...
    Yup.

If this is the first serious camera I am to buy and if mirrorless is what I am looking at, my personal choice will be OMD.

My choice is Olympus. I hate large lenses and small sensors.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Just get the one u are most comfortable with.

Samsung or Sony..both are ok.. In the end...you will change another camera also..(before it breakdown or when it break down.) they are electronic afterall..

i see so many people cracking their brains which to buy..then after a year or not even. change again.

Buy it. Enjoy it. and worry less.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Just get the one u are most comfortable with.

Samsung or Sony..both are ok.. In the end...you will change another camera also..(before it breakdown or when it break down.) they are electronic afterall..

i see so many people cracking their brains which to buy..then after a year or not even. change again.

Buy it. Enjoy it. and worry less.
    Hi, while people might change their camera bodies frequently, do they change their lenses so often too? Aren't lenses suppose to last for a long time? If I decide on a particular brand and invest in the body and lenses, then when I change, it would be just the body, and this would mean sticking to the same brand, unless the lenses are compatible across brands, which does not seem to be the case for many brands. If this is the case, then wouldn't the brand matters? As daredevil123 said, an important issue to note is the roadmap on how the system will develop. No point investing so much, especially on the lenses, but a few years down the road, the system is going nowhere...

Hi, while people might change their camera bodies frequently, do they change their lenses so often too? Aren't lenses suppose to last for a long time? If I decide on a particular brand and invest in the body and lenses, then when I change, it would be just the body, and this would mean sticking to the same brand, unless the lenses are compatible across brands, which does not seem to be the case for many brands. If this is the case, then wouldn't the brand matters? As daredevil123 said, an important issue to note is the roadmap on how the system will develop. No point investing so much, especially on the lenses, but a few years down the road, the system is going nowhere...
    Yes, camera lenses are made to last... actually camera bodies too. I have seen people still using the 300D even today. Actually there really is no need to think too much about which camera brand to get, all of them are kind of good. One note though, Panasonic and Olympus mirrorless cameras both utilized the micro-four third system as such both of them had the same mounting and so lenses could be shared between them.

While the roadmap of a system is very important, but do look at the current lenses that this system had too... sometime it might already suffice and so there really is no need to look any further, just get the camera and have fun.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    So sad that you have to shoot in RAW just to get good output.
    I'm not sad, why would u be sad?

Have a look at Pentax K-01 and Q/Q10. Pentax's latest mirrorless offering.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Fast action? If it has to be a mirrorless camera get a cheap ~$500 Nikon V1. Otherwise I would rather buy a Sony A37.
    Last edited by ageha; 11th December 2012 at 05:29 PM.