View Poll Results: Do you think the quality of your shots have improved over the passed year?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes of course

48 77.42%
  • No, and I must work harder

11 17.74%
  • Not sure, I'll let you guys be the judge

3 4.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think you have improved your shots over the passed year?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Raising of expectations would mean that one has not improved. Ya?
    Assessment of improvement must be based on certain yardstick. Ideally there should be quantifiable criteria. In an area which everybody know is "subjective", objective and quantifiable criteria are hard to come by. In my opinion, there are few people here trained to analyse images objectively. I had discovered that opinions of friends are at best unreliable. Fellow photographers, perhaps. Unfortunately there are none who have seen my miserable attempts over the years, so they could not commend.

So I remain my harshest critic. And I think my images are not up to par. Hence I am dissatisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Assessment of improvement must be based on certain yardstick. Ideally there should be quantifiable criteria. In an area which everybody know is "subjective", objective and quantifiable criteria are hard to come by. In my opinion, there are few people here trained to analyse images objectively. I had discovered that opinions of friends are at best unreliable. Fellow photographers, perhaps. Unfortunately there are none who have seen my miserable attempts over the years, so they could not commend.

So I remain my harshest critic. And I think my images are not up to par. Hence I am dissatisfied.
    Well said.

I can't pass the "myself as the harest critic" stage oso.... after personally watching and learning from a shoot of a foriegn pro photog, I felt that I have to go back to basics once again and look at all my fundamentals

I think you're still the best person to decide yourself if you've improved over the years.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Technically, some aspects of photography can be measured. So it can be quantify if you have "improved" or not.

Artistically,there ain't no perfect photo.... so your yard stick should be getting the photo you want or have conceptualise before releasing the shutter.

Lastly, Creativity... this has nothing to do with photography... rather this IS you... and how you preceive the world around yourself (or through the lens).... of course, in today's term, post processing too counts in getting the final image.

So to answer this thread...

1. Technically, yes, unless it's in conflict with the artistic and creative concept.

2. Artistically, yes to a lesser extent, cuz need to also consider creativity of the final image.

3. Creativity, sadly no or at least my expectations have raised beyond what I could get... and yep... I've got less "keepers" since I joined CS... but it's not only the pics posted here... DivantArt (sp?) is my inspiration for creativity.

Wah... sound like the 3 laws by Issac Asimov
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Yep agree with you totally.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 5th March 2005 at 10:03 AM.

It's already 2005. I would like to know for all of us in CS, after spending so much money for the gears, do you think the quality of your shots have improved, in terms of composition, exposures, image quality, etc.

Would like you guys to be honest to yourself, as only you know yourself best!
    Haha....this is a good one. Unless you are able to accept critictism, I guess there is always room for improvement. Within months to a few years? Nah...photography is ever changing. I m still learning to improve myslf better.

The best way to improve your skills is to show to other professional photographers and to non pros too about your works. I may be in this line for a long time as a pro but I still bring my works to my friends whether they are in this line or not. Why so? As this is the best way learn as they see things from a different perspective.

Again I like to stress out on accepting opinions without disagreeing. Sometimes by defending your own images is the same as not accepting opinions from others. I learn my the hard way, although it was painful at the beginning but when i see myself taking on new challange I know I have move on to the next level....

There will always be harsh critics and nice compliments. People comes from all walks of life. Haha......... but Singapore's Art scene still have plenty of room for improvement. John Clang works was a good example on seeing people's reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image

The best way to improve your skills is to show to other professional photographers and to non pros too about your works. I may be in this line for a long time as a pro but I still bring my works to my friends whether they are in this line or not. Why so? As this is the best way learn as they see things from a different perspective.
    Hence joining CS
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Do you think you have improved your shots over the passed year?!

My photography standard hasn't improved.

But my models are getting prettier and holes in my wallet are also getting bigger.

Oh would like to add that spending so much money on expensive equipments will not improve the quality of your works........

The best way to improve your skills is to show to other professional photographers and to non pros too about your works. ... I still bring my works to my friends whether they are in this line or not. Why so? As this is the best way learn as they see things from a different perspective.

Again I like to stress out on accepting opinions without disagreeing. Sometimes by defending your own images is the same as not accepting opinions from others.
    Agree with the above sentiments!

However, I look for different things when showing my images to friends versus photographers.

Friends come from different backgrounds. Most of them are not trained in the arts. Some like painters, are able to give a more considered opinion. So when I show them, it is to get their emotional feedback to the images. If I show a picture of "melancholy", and they do not think melancholy was demonstrated, I know that I did not succeed in portraying melancholy.

When I want opinions about the image itself, composition, technical competence etc etc, and how to improve the image, then friends are not the best for this. For this, one needs another photographer in the same field.
    But toi track "improvement", then one need, like Witness, to show a body of work over a period of time. While I had shown images to friends for comments, and to photographers for critique, I have never compiled my works in the way Witness has.

Perhaps we should all do this.

Practice makes perfect. Had improved tremendously, however, only myself appreciate its.

Next, will be to improve the camera!!!

Got improvement and whenever I see my old pic esp the bad ones...i have come a long way.

Btw my cash outflow has come a long way too

I am still learning ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    I am still learning ...
    Hello ? Mai keh keh la

i've improved a bit since i started but I don't find CS an especially helpful place to improve on my composition and all. Most prob cos I take crap photos most of the time and few kind hearted ppl are wiling to give harsh and truthful comments on them. (most of them time i don't get much comments at all ). However, CS is a solid place to read up on "how-to" take good photos, post processing and other theory/technical knowledge.

So the best way to improve is still by accepting the harshest comments and identifying the good photos from others. IMHO, imitation is a good way to start for newbies (like me) before developing my own style of shooting.

Most importantly, never idolise your own work and get ego-inflation from good comments.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    ... holes in my wallet are also getting bigger.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    I am still learning ...
    So do everyone even the "pro" too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er
    Got improvement and whenever I see my old pic esp the bad ones...i have come a long way.

Btw my cash outflow has come a long way too

Me too...

Agree with the above sentiments!

However, I look for different things when showing my images to friends versus photographers.

Friends come from different backgrounds. Most of them are not trained in the arts. Some like painters, are able to give a more considered opinion. So when I show them, it is to get their emotional feedback to the images. If I show a picture of "melancholy", and they do not think melancholy was demonstrated, I know that I did not succeed in portraying melancholy.

When I want opinions about the image itself, composition, technical competence etc etc, and how to improve the image, then friends are not the best for this. For this, one needs another photographer in the same field.
    But toi track "improvement", then one need, like Witness, to show a body of work over a period of time. While I had shown images to friends for comments, and to photographers for critique, I have never compiled my works in the way Witness has.

Perhaps we should all do this.
    Got the same feeling too.

Oh would like to add that spending so much money on expensive equipments will not improve the quality of your works........
    Perhaps...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast