Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Places that ban shooting

How about listing places which ban bad photographers ...

Jurong Industrial area is very sensitive. lotsa policemen and SAF personals will question you non-stop.

My friend and I were shooting Chijmes from within and across the road, with a tripod. Kind of wandered about the entire first level holding the tripod and cameras in hand and shooting everywhere but were not stopped. Hmmm... I even took a few shots of the security guard

Quote Originally Posted by nyxhimaerax
    My friend and I were shooting Chijmes from within and across the road, with a tripod. Kind of wandered about the entire first level holding the tripod and cameras in hand and shooting everywhere but were not stopped. Hmmm... I even took a few shots of the security guard
    在太岁爷头上动土, well done!

Reviving this thread cos of my recent experience.

I was shooting in Seletar Dam recently and was stopped by patrolling police. Another 2 photographers were stopped as well, guess the police are looking around for people with SLRs(what they claim as professional camera, tripod and external flash). By the way, the police are very brand cautious. They will defintiely ask you for the brand of your camera!!!

They claimed that it is a sensitive area, because
    1. there is a reservoir.
    2. can see the telecom satellite dish from there (ard 3-4 or more km away)
    3. near seletar airport.
    But there isn't any sign which says "No Photography" or "Restricted Area".
    They were quite civil about it, asked what i was shooting and for what purpose. Took my particulars and offered to exchange my film with a new roll, which I refused. After that, a CID arrived and I offered to let him take my slides, develop and return to me if there is no problems with it. In the end I got my developed slides back.

My point is, at the end of the day, they are just doing their job and I cooperated.

But I was told my an ex-police officer that by taking my slides without a statement, that is akin to theft and I have the right to complain to the police. Also, if the police are so bent of "enforcing" no photography rules, signs should be put up or the area should be fenced up like army camps. And no matter what the police says, DO NOT SIGN any statement as it will have legal implications as you might be linked to other unsolved cases which might has nothing to do with you at all. If they are really anal about it, they can apply to the court for a search warrant to search your home for the photos(which takes a few days and lots of reports!), which by then, if you are a real terrorist, will have already disposed of the photos. Btw, if you are not guilty of anything, and they detain you, you can always sue them for damages or look for your local MP to complain. (For all those who were with the civil service, you know that letter of complain from the MP requires the department involved to reply within 24 hrs)

Just post to let everyone know your rights.

Lightbulb

not sure at all about sueing the SPF for damages. they are more careful about not going overboard in carrying out their duties.

you offered to let the police take your slides. which act here is akin to theft? i do not understand your line of reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot
    Reviving this thread cos of my recent experience.

I was shooting in Seletar Dam recently and was stopped by patrolling police. Another 2 photographers were stopped as well, guess the police are looking around for people with SLRs(what they claim as professional camera, tripod and external flash). By the way, the police are very brand cautious. They will defintiely ask you for the brand of your camera!!!

They claimed that it is a sensitive area, because
    1. there is a reservoir.
    2. can see the telecom satellite dish from there (ard 3-4 or more km away)
    3. near seletar airport.
    But there isn't any sign which says "No Photography" or "Restricted Area".
    They were quite civil about it, asked what i was shooting and for what purpose. Took my particulars and offered to exchange my film with a new roll, which I refused. After that, a CID arrived and I offered to let him take my slides, develop and return to me if there is no problems with it. In the end I got my developed slides back.

My point is, at the end of the day, they are just doing their job and I cooperated.

But I was told my an ex-police officer that by taking my slides without a statement, that is akin to theft and I have the right to complain to the police. Also, if the police are so bent of "enforcing" no photography rules, signs should be put up or the area should be fenced up like army camps. And no matter what the police says, DO NOT SIGN any statement as it will have legal implications as you might be linked to other unsolved cases which might has nothing to do with you at all. If they are really anal about it, they can apply to the court for a search warrant to search your home for the photos(which takes a few days and lots of reports!), which by then, if you are a real terrorist, will have already disposed of the photos. Btw, if you are not guilty of anything, and they detain you, you can always sue them for damages or look for your local MP to complain. (For all those who were with the civil service, you know that letter of complain from the MP requires the department involved to reply within 24 hrs)

Just post to let everyone know your rights.

Since there is no statement taken, there are no records that I willingly gave the slides to the police. So the police officer is in fact committing theft in this case by taking away private property.

Lightbulb

Since there is no statement taken, there are no records that I willingly gave the slides to the police. So the police officer is in fact committing theft in this case by taking away private property.
    still do not understand your lastest post. by offering your slides to them, you, by your act of offering, is explicitly consenting to allow them take your slides. when does theft comes in?

i am not a expert in this area. but your lastest post lacks logic in my simple mind.

There must always be some form of paperwork to account for items taken into custody.Even prisoners have to sign a form for their valuables and possessions when they enter prison.

Therefore by not taking a statement, and taking the slides,though offered willingly, the policeman could have opened a can of worms here because there is no proof, what if the slides' owner were to subsequently file a complaint and he has the upper hand based on potentially flimsy testimony from the policeman concerned based on anecdotal evidence.

Yeap..that's how I see it..a lil confusing though..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    still do not understand your lastest post. by offering your slides to them, you, by your act of offering, is explicitly consenting to allow them take your slides. when does theft comes in?

i am not a expert in this area. but your lastest post lacks logic in my simple mind.
    Don't you agree that it takes lots of guts to refuse a CID officer?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    Don't you agree that it takes lots of guts to refuse a CID officer?
    yes, but, in this case, it appears that the CID officer did not make a demand for the slides.

i have to agree with reachme2003.

they asked, and you obliged. it's not theft. it's very much voluntary.
    it's just like if they want to enter your house, if they ask and you allow them in, is that trespassing?

perhaps if they took your items and did not return, that's theft.

please speak to your ex-police officer friend again.

Default Re: Places that ban shooting

Hi everyone,

allow me to clarify.

There is a piece of law and regulation that specify that the management has a right to prevent certain acts within their premises for security purposes.

These certain acts are within the discretion of the managment and it is of course subjective.

If there is any doubts, reference will have to be made to the management.

Paperworks to get approval once an individual is prevented from access into a private place can be tedious.

JUng
    "The Legal Photgrapher"

vince123123
    Guests

Do you by any chance happen to know the name of the law and regulation?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by profdrjung
    Hi everyone,

allow me to clarify.

There is a piece of law and regulation that specify that the management has a right to prevent certain acts within their premises for security purposes.

These certain acts are within the discretion of the managment and it is of course subjective.

If there is any doubts, reference will have to be made to the management.

Paperworks to get approval once an individual is prevented from access into a private place can be tedious.

JUng
    "The Legal Photgrapher"

Quote Originally Posted by zig
    try this trick it always works for me....just dress like a tourist and have a friend follow you around.... speak with a funny japanese accent or a honk kong accent... trust me it works...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456