Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Places that ban shooting

Deregistered

vince123123, you mean, what i described isn't considered infringement?

Quote Originally Posted by zig
    try this trick it always works for me....just dress like a tourist and have a friend follow you around.... speak with a funny japanese accent or a honk kong accent... trust me it works...
    It helps if you have some arts festival, drama group or media firm's t-shirt.A little near the edge but yeah, acting like a tourist might help too.It helps if you are in the arts community too , I suppose.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

hmmm ,.... ressurecting this old thread cos i got a question ... heh heh ...

i was considering bringing a cam along and snapping pics of the guards at cmpb .. and perhaps inside cmpb ... medical check up area ... (cos i'm going for my medical checkup & it'll probably fit moret han one theme in the total defence photo competition ...) ..

was wondering if its illegal to snap photos there? ... or if i should even try to bring a cam there ... wonder what their reactions would be if they see someone snap a pic of them checking ID then go up to them to let them check ID for medical check up? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt

i was considering bringing a cam along and snapping pics of the guards at cmpb .. and perhaps inside cmpb ... medical check up area ... (cos i'm going for my medical checkup & it'll probably fit moret han one theme in the total defence photo competition ...) ..

was wondering if its illegal to snap photos there? ... or if i should even try to bring a cam there ... wonder what their reactions would be if they see someone snap a pic of them checking ID then go up to them to let them check ID for medical check up? ...
    it is definitely a no photography area with DSTA just next door.

eerr ... then just the guards? ...

Default It was intended to explain

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Well isn't a discussion of Australian laws not entirely relevant to the situation here in Singapore? I dont think the laws you quoted have extra-territorial effect outside of Australia do they?
    Hi vince123123,

I know this is a very delayed response but I feel that I should still answer it.

I believe you didn't carefully read why I mentioned the Privacy Act (of Australia).

The reason why I mentioned the Privacy Act (of Australia) was because Singapore does not have one in its Statutes.

I was using the Privacy Act to explain to another CS user nicknamed ortega that such an Act covers/protects people/persons/humans, and that the Privacy Act (of any country from Austria to Zimbabwe, and even Singapore if she creates 1 in future) would not cover/protect animals, buildings, or objects.

If there was anything irrelevant, it would be mentioning the Privacy Act in this tread since the topic was originally about photographing at places which ban photo-taking. However, as I have said, I was only explaining to fellow CS user ortega that the Privacy Act covers/protects people/persons/humans, and in a certain way, hinted that it was not relevant.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 19th April 2005 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Addition information

ok..back to topic

one of the places that ban shooting - MRT station. Thanks to that famous video clip of yishun MRT station taken by suspected terrorists after 911.

anyway, last sunday i was at city hall mrt, meeting a buyer to sell my filter, we stayed at one corner near the entrance. she mounted the filter on the lens and did some testing, no pic was taken at all since she was using film SLR. anyway, the security approach us shortly and tell us no photo taking allowed, i dun want to waste my breath to explain or argue with him so i just say ok....then he also mumbled something saying other pple will complain if we take photo there

well..i guess he was just over-react since we were not acting suspiciously, or may be he got nothing to do and want to exert some authority
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

vince123123
    Guests

alot of security guards are like that, make up their own rules :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    ok..back to topic

one of the places that ban shooting - MRT station. Thanks to that famous video clip of yishun MRT station taken by suspected terrorists after 911.

anyway, last sunday i was at city hall mrt, meeting a buyer to sell my filter, we stayed at one corner near the entrance. she mounted the filter on the lens and did some testing, no pic was taken at all since she was using film SLR. anyway, the security approach us shortly and tell us no photo taking allowed, i dun want to waste my breath to explain or argue with him so i just say ok....then he also mumbled something saying other pple will complain if we take photo there

well..i guess he was just over-react since we were not acting suspiciously, or may be he got nothing to do and want to exert some authority

once, i saw a nice vintage car in the carpark at center point. took some pics, and a security guard came my way. told me cannot take pictures. out of curiosity, i asked why, he told me "no cannot take picture". ask why cannot again, same answer. then he mumbled something that everyone knows building not allowed to take picture. so i smiled, said thank you, and walked off.

till now i dunno if he stopped me cos i was taking a picture of the car, or that the car was in the building. or even if that is wrong.

strange strange world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Singapore appears to be moving towards a western-like society which pays more attention to copyright. Buildings have always been copyrighted but these days building management tend to impose their authority to get a fair share of photographer's using the building/premises.

Shooting CHIJMES from across the road still infringes on the copyright if it's used commercially. CHIJMES management can take you to court for that if you shot it without their permit. For personal enjoyment without profit or gain, it won't see you in court.
    i don't know that building can be copyrighted.... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Clark75
    I'm not sure, but I think copyright would definately be infringed upon if the building's design is replicated. That is, if you walk along Guangzhou one day and find an exactly the same 'Chijmes' there! (Of course, it'll probably be named 'Chijmess'.)
    yes, agreed, if the design of the building is copyrighted.

Chijmess compared to Chijmes (usage of trade marks)... that's the tort of passing off... "piggy backing" on reputation
    Last edited by mervlam; 19th April 2005 at 04:11 AM.

NO PHOTOGRAPHY is allowed in military bases unless you are authorised. FULL STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    vince123123, you mean, what i described isn't considered infringement?
    Copyright exist only for the expression of an idea in a material form, not for the idea itself.

Answered your question?

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    NO PHOTOGRAPHY is allowed in military bases unless you are authorised. FULL STOP.

err... cmpb = military base? ...nvm .. will just go ask the guards and explain my reason .. if they say no .. then no lor =/

Hi, CONFIRM cannot.

vince123123
    Guests

Yes, buildings enjoy copyright as a type of original artistic work, except that there are specific exceptions to excuse the taking of a photograph of a building. Hence Jemapela's statement may not be accurate.

What I am curious to know is why many have thought that the issue turns on whether the work is used commercially or not.

i don't know that building can be copyrighted.... LOL
    Quote: Originally Posted by: Jemapela Singapore appears to be moving towards a western-like society which pays more attention to copyright. Buildings have always been copyrighted but these days building management tend to impose their authority to get a fair share of photographer's using the building/premises.

Shooting CHIJMES from across the road still infringes on the copyright if it's used commercially. CHIJMES management can take you to court for that if you shot it without their permit. For personal enjoyment without profit or gain, it won't see you in court.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Yes, buildings enjoy copyright as a type of original artistic work, except that there are specific exceptions to excuse the taking of a photograph of a building. Hence Jemapela's statement may not be accurate.

What I am curious to know is why many have thought that the issue turns on whether the work is used commercially or not.

Quote: Originally Posted by: Jemapela Singapore appears to be moving towards a western-like society which pays more attention to copyright. Buildings have always been copyrighted but these days building management tend to impose their authority to get a fair share of photographer's using the building/premises.

just thought about it. buildings ARE the material form of expression of ideas. so your reasoning may be valid.

as for your second statement, you meant infringement occurs irregardless your work is for commercial usage or not???
    Last edited by mervlam; 19th April 2005 at 04:23 PM.

err... cmpb = military base? ...nvm .. will just go ask the guards and explain my reason .. if they say no .. then no lor =/
    I had been a guard before, and my answer will be no. Guards follow the same rules everywhere.

CMPB IS a military base. why wouldn't it be? it's crawling with people from the three services and MINDEF

vince123123
    Guests

I believe so, thats why I've always been puzzled as to why so many photographers think that the crux is whether the images are for commercial use or not. One theory could be another hangover from a blind importation of US laws

as for your second statement, you meant infringement occurs irregardless your work is for commercial usage or not???

Once I had dinner with a bunch of friends in a Burger King Restaurant (not sure what is the building name, beside wheellock place). And we decide to take a group picture, and one of the staff popped up to say that it is not allowed. Yes, this is a weird world that we are living in.

I was also being told off while videotaping in the Malaysian custom (the one in the second link). But this one they might have a little bit of excuse, but Burger King?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast