Thread: Dilemma in choosing a camera

Default Dilemma in choosing a camera

Currently I'm using a Nikon PNS camera and now getting a new camera. I've narrowed down to 3 cameras, Lumix G3, Nikon V1 and Pen E-PM1. I had searched online for photos of them but there's good and not so good photos taken by each camera and I'm not sure which to get.

Let's say we ignore the price of these 3 cameras, which will be a better choice? I guess most of the time I should be taking photos of people. Hope someone can help advise on this. Thanks!

Default Re: Dilemma in choosing a camera

Do you know the differences between them?

The Panasonic and the Pen are m4/3 cameras, while the V1 has a much smaller sensor and is not part of the m4/3 consortium so you can't use the Panasonic or Olympus lenses on it.

Most importantly: Have you gotten off your butt and headed down to the shops to hold them in your hands and determine which feels better and more comfortable to use? You cannot judge a camera just by the photos taken as that comes more down to the skill of the photographer, or photoshop.
    Alpha

I only managed to take a look at the E-PM1 and GF5 due to G3 not available for trying. Personally I like the size and image color of e-pm1 more but like G3's swivel LCD Screen and touch focusing but abit more bulky. So now dilemma which to choose..
    Last edited by rollbread; 3rd December 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Know whats your priority. See and compare the specs..
    Then go down and try them out. Buy your favorite 1..and enjoy shooting and stop thinking so much.

Quote Originally Posted by rollbread View Post
    I only managed to take a look at the E-PM1 and GF5 due to G3 not available for trying. Personally I like the size and image color of e-pm1 more but like G3's swivel LCD Screen and touch focusing but abit more bulky. So now dilemma which to choose..
    Thats why they always say there is no perfect product. (by any means..different people would want different things on the same camera). If you can find 1 that has everything u want n is perfect for you. Thats very good. Else u need to decide which 1 u like more u want more. Priority and compromise. If not. 1 solution there is.

cash is king. just buy all.

i vote for the Pen E-PM1

Personally I like the size and image color of e-pm1 more ...
    Did you read Rashkae's remark about photographer and photoshop? Unless you do a structured review of image quality (as seen on dpreview.com) you can safely ignore all kinds of show-off images.
    "Photos of people' can be taken with all cameras ...
    EOS

agree w Octarine. You have to think abt what you want in a camera, maybe a little more specific than 'take photo of people', as all cameras, from Iphone to Canon 5DMarkIII can take photo of people pretty well, under certain light conditions.

Where are you most often shooting people ? Indoors/Outdoors ? If outdoors, then I dont think u have a prob, cuz even Iphones take wonderful pics in broad daylight. However, if you shoot indoors in wide variety of circumstances, then you may want to consider cameras with larger sensors to handle the poor lighting conditions, which are your G3 and EPM if you stick to your shortlist, or to even bigger sensors like Samsung NX, Canon EOS-M, and the Sony NEX series.

Is portability important ? then yeah, the EPM and the Nikon will beat the Panasonic G3.

as all 3 that you have listed are MILCs, I guess you are interested to venture a little into changing lenses to take pics ? then you may want to take a look at the range of lenses available, as you are effectively buying into a system than merely the camera alone. Among the current MILC systems, the micro four third family has the largest collection of native lenses. However, with an adapter, you can fix the even larger family of Nikon DSLR lenses onto the V1, though you sacrifice portability in a big way.

However, if you think you dont have to change lenses, actually you can consider the premium point and shoots that are being pushed out now, fr the compact n value 4 $ Canon S110 to the beautiful performer Fujifilm XF1, to the powerful (but more expensive) Sony RX100. They shoot great pics, and are truly pocketeable, as compared to the MILCs, which, erm, need bigger pockets... Big consideration if you are shoot photos of people in clubs and want to join in the fun without this bulky thing bouncing ard you...

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, you must like the camera you want to buy. LIke what Bro Raskhae say, go down to the shop and try all the cameras you want to buy (though I suggest doing homework first then go down to play). Sometimes, you may just like certain things abt the layout, the usability, etc. To some people, buying cameras are emo things.. haha... but some people find reasons to justify their buy, while others just lose the love after a while, sell off, and buy another brand..

The EPM-2 is already out, and has the same size sensor as the Olympus OMD. You may want to consider that as well.

Blog Entries

Just a note... Nikon just dropped the pricing for V1. V1 + 10-30mm lens + SB-N5 speedlight is going for $518 now... That is cheaper than a lot of prosumer PnS compacts! Definitely value for money.

there are alot of videos on youtube that review the cameras or even compare them,
    guess you can search and take a look.

i have used the pm-1 and now the g3.
    i feel that the g3 is a super value for money, if you dont mind the slight bigger size.
    that said i feel its not the best one if you want a pns form factor that you can bring around in a normal bag

if you are taking people, friends, you will definitely need to buy a prime beside the kit zoom.
    are you willing to spend the extra money for that?
    maybe you can take a look at other higher end compacts like the lx series, x10/x100

Currently I'm using a Nikon PNS camera and now getting a new camera. I've narrowed down to 3 cameras, Lumix G3, Nikon V1 and Pen E-PM1. I had searched online for photos of them but there's good and not so good photos taken by each camera and I'm not sure which to get.

Let's say we ignore the price of these 3 cameras, which will be a better choice? I guess most of the time I should be taking photos of people. Hope someone can help advise on this. Thanks!
    Like metranquility mentioned, ask yourself first, what type of people photos are you taking?

Is it your kids? Then, under what lighting conditions will you most often be taking them (ie. indoor at night, outdoor at night, indoor at day, outdoor at day etc). Then, under what activities - sitting still while they watch TV and grow fat or all action mud wrestling/soccer/competitive chess etc.

Is it street photography? Is it people playing sports?

I personally think all three cameras are great under daytime lighting conditions - so for street photos - go for the V1 - especially now it's so cheap and Nikon are coming out with more lenses for the 1 series that you might not even need an adapter!

But for kids, indoor, moving around at night - you will need a camera with great high ISO performance - the V1 will struggle, I've heard the Olys are great for this, you might want to check them out.

And for those advising you to go down to the photo shop to take sample pics - not always the best practice as photo shops ALWAYS have excellent lighting!

Also, read reviews on the internet and zero in on those reviews which focusses on conditions which will be similar to what you are going to shoot - you will find it is more tailored to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by klim828 View Post
    And for those advising you to go down to the photo shop to take sample pics - not always the best practice as photo shops ALWAYS have excellent lighting!
    We recommend shop visits for handling experience, not for taking pictures to compare image results.
    Most shops use some form of fluorescent light. Might look ok to human eye but it's quite dim for a camera. Try for yourself, you won't get any shutter speeds as outside. Secondly, the fluorescent light will cause colour cast if the shutter speed is not around 1/50s. A challenge for Auto WB and far from being an accurate result.
    EOS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    The EPM-2 is already out, and has the same size sensor as the Olympus OMD. You may want to consider that as well.
    I thought Olympus Singapore not bringing it in?

M4/3 have more native fast lenses over the Nikon v1.

The G3 is the better camera technically, over the epm1.
    Both are m4/3 cameras.

As for samples being different, of course, since a lot depends on the 'thing' behind the camera.

Out of your 3 choices, I'd choose G3.
    Nikon V1 IMO, don't have the fast lenses to 'make it happen' for smaller sensor cameras.
    (Ie. Dof control, lower ISO during low light)