Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why do all taxi companies change shift at 5pm?

I hardly take taxis, but do note it is demand and supply. With Buses, there's a 'regular' intervals where the bus will 'likely' to turn up, say 5-20minutes. With cabs, there's no such 'rule'. Ask yourself what would you do if u'r a cabby? U want more $ right? Would you rather pick up tourists at big hotels and changi airport who might tip you $10 or plain singaporeans. Would you 'hide' and 'rest' at 2345 so you can potentially earn more later? Cabbies do need to take rests, working the 5pm-5am shift, having a break at 2330-2400 is 'reasonable'. Of course, as the public, we hate 'em, why not ask ourselves, why wait till 2330 to take a cab?

singaporeans just like to complain, i'm no exception. I hate cabbies too, but because i ride bike, and cabbies are the most dangerous vehicles on the road, have to give 'em much allowance regardless who's in the right way.

No one is forced to take a cab, buy a car,bike, take a bus,MRT,LRT,walk,hitch a ride! its up to you! singapore's transport system is really good. if u watch amazing race, u'll know what i mean.

And lastly, buckle up when you take a cab. It might just save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    is 5pm and about the off-peak period, but nearing the peak period???

I once waited for donkey years around Katong (that road along those Katong LAksa stalls) on a Sunday 10pm. Many people waited, not a single taxi within sight.

Waited long enough, I called for a taxi... within 3 minutes, it appeared right in front of me!!!

One of the taxi driver himself told me that for certain road,
    like the one you mention above, the drivers know exactly that many passengers will wait,
    but on the other hand, they also know that there will be no stray taxi (pardon my choice of words :P) around.

So they all queue up hiding in one of the lane near the passengers' crowd, waiting for a call.
    Surely passengers will call, like you do :P because there's no hope to get a taxi without calling.

Another similar location is near plaza 101, near bencoolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Because...

The day shift guy gets the morning peak hour period to pick up passengers and the night shift one gets the evening peak hour period.
    ok...then why can't half the taxi companies change shift at 4pm and the other half at 5pm? it makes no difference to the morning or evening peak hour period. then at least there will always be cabs around during the change of shift.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I get irritated when taxis have their sign lit , yet when you flag them down, they wave their hand and/or make a call sign with their hand and refuse to stop.This happens to me very often around 7plus in the morning around Bukit Panjang.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Are you sure all taxis change shift at 5pm/5am?

I sat on a few taxis and they change their shift at 10pm. Unless those independant drivers, they can change when they like.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    I get irritated when taxis have their sign lit , yet when you flag them down, they wave their hand and/or make a call sign with their hand and refuse to stop.This happens to me very often around 7plus in the morning around Bukit Panjang.
    I think can take down their car plate number and 'feedback' to their company

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    ok...then why can't half the taxi companies change shift at 4pm and the other half at 5pm? it makes no difference to the morning or evening peak hour period. then at least there will always be cabs around during the change of shift.
    And assuming that the taxi drivers do 12 hour shifts... how are the ones in the morning shift without any modes of transport beside public going to get to the taxis?

It's not a seamless change of shift as well, you're also looking at the downtime between the changing of shifts. The washing of the cars, the refueling, the fact that the guy on the next shift isn't going to be waiting at the car park for the cab to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    why do all taxi companies change shift at 5pm?
    I think it's because their wives want them back at home by 6pm.

Actually, my experience isn't that bad. I take the taxis like 3 times a week. The important thing is, you must know 'which road to stand' to get a cab. This one, sometimes takes some common sense....

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus
    , but because i ride bike, and cabbies are the most dangerous vehicles on the road, have to give 'em much allowance regardless who's in the right way.
    are taxis the most dangerous vehicles on the road?? what about motorists who straddles between vehicles ? squeezing in whatever space available.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    are taxis the most dangerous vehicles on the road?? what about motorists who straddles between vehicles ? squeezing in whatever space available.
    yes, straddling is dangerous too. keep an eye on them if u'r a car driver. u won't wanna bang 'em even if its their fault.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12