Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Camera is the camera you have with you, Q.

Default Re: The Best Camera is the camera you have with you, Q.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    Ah ok.. I will await ur updates on the Q10.

I have not thought of adapter as yet. Lazy to bring tripod around. Unless I'm going for birding. Lol..

But it's true, the price for Q10 in sg. Sad. Not enticing me to get one. I will get my special colours when my friend go Japan, will lobang to buy one. Hee.
    Bro ranchy, when you friend going Japan? Can lobang one set for me? haha.

Quote Originally Posted by geengar View Post
    Bro ranchy, when you friend going Japan? Can lobang one set for me? haha.
    Hi hi,

Doubt I can help you on that. Even my one, is hoping he could assist me and the date of him going is unconfirmed. It's a business trip, so no idea he have the time to help ornot.

Who known after hearing PhilipKr35's reviews and update on buying from the link. I may have the urge to buy it from there also :P

Hi everyone!

I'm using a Colour 053 (Blue/Black) Pentax Q10 from Japan with the 02 & 06 dual-lens kit (Just couldn't resist the colour). I think most people take the Q/Q10 line too seriously. It is a fun camera, compact to carry around. Good, solid (tiny, but solid ingot of plastic) feel to it (for the Q10).

As far as I know, most shops in Japan do stock the more popular colour codes, so for those of you who are adventurous enough, do take the plunge. And Pentax America has also recently announced availability of the 100 colours.

Yup, I agree whole-heartedly with Chase Jarvis and Philip here. The Q/Q10 is a great daily-use camera.

The only problem I encounter so far, it is quite hard to lock the focus indoor. Let say we were in MacD restaurant indoor, the lighting was not that bad. However, mounted with 01 or 02, it normally took 2-3sec to lock the focus (approx 40%), longer than 3 sec or 2nd trial to lock the focus (approx 40%) and 20% chance that I could not get the focus at all.

I am using Q and have updated both camera and lenses to latest firmware. Any of you encounter similar issue ?

Hi, wong_se,

Have not had any problems with the AF so far. As far as I know, updating the Q to the latest firmware should get rid of laggy AF issues that plagued the Q originally.

Quote Originally Posted by joNWKng
    Hi, wong_se,

Have not had any problems with the AF so far. As far as I know, updating the Q to the latest firmware should get rid of laggy AF issues that plagued the Q originally.
    The same here, no lagging AF even in below the office desk. Did you had the ND filter on at Mac or if the low light AF assist light was turned off?
    Just guessing .

Maybe update again firmware 1.10
    GR,K2,K3, DA15Ltd, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5, K135 f2.8, K55 f1.8, Q, Q2K, Q10, 01020306,FA31,FA100WR

have checked, ND is off, Assist light is on. may be i would do the firmware update again and give it a try.
    until this is solved, i could not really use this as family camera. my kids would wait 3sec for me to AF

Hi guys I am interested in the Q+01 lens..

Gonna buy it as a daily camera when I dun bring my fuji x-e1 out..

Where is the best place to get the Q now that the price has dropped significantly?

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    have checked, ND is off, Assist light is on. may be i would do the firmware update again and give it a try.
    until this is solved, i could not really use this as family camera. my kids would wait 3sec for me to AF
    Just remembered, sometime when point focussing on small area where there is no contrast, the AF square is red , not in focus, like suspended out of focus, by just moving slight the focus point to area with contrasting color, then AF KICKS in .
    GR,K2,K3, DA15Ltd, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5, K135 f2.8, K55 f1.8, Q, Q2K, Q10, 01020306,FA31,FA100WR

Quote Originally Posted by vengels
    Hi guys I am interested in the Q+01 lens..

Gonna buy it as a daily camera when I dun bring my fuji x-e1 out..

Where is the best place to get the Q now that the price has dropped significantly?
    I bought mine at TK PHOTO funan mall 2nd floor, SGcamera at Peninsula shopping centre also can get set below $500 . I was told 3rd party battery at SLRR for $7 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35

Just remembered, sometime when point focussing on small area where there is no contrast, the AF square is red , not in focus, like suspended out of focus, by just moving slight the focus point to area with contrasting color, then AF KICKS in .
    Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35 View Post

I bought mine at TK PHOTO funan mall 2nd floor, SGcamera at Peninsula shopping centre also can get set below $500 . I was told 3rd party battery at SLRR for $7 a piece.
    Is it a special promotion during a sale or something?

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    The only problem I encounter so far, it is quite hard to lock the focus indoor. Let say we were in MacD restaurant indoor, the lighting was not that bad. However, mounted with 01 or 02, it normally took 2-3sec to lock the focus (approx 40%), longer than 3 sec or 2nd trial to lock the focus (approx 40%) and 20% chance that I could not get the focus at all.

I am using Q and have updated both camera and lenses to latest firmware. Any of you encounter similar issue ?
    That sounds more like v1.0

But try this :
    1. Update to latest firmware.
    2. Change the size of the AF area (helps lots)
    3. Try to focus on brights parts. I find that rather than just contrast, the AF seems to prefer bright stuff.
    4. Turn off AF assist lamp and try (I seem to find that Q10 focuses better w/o the light, yet to verify on Q though)

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by vengels

Is it a special promotion during a sale or something?
    No, the price $500 is the average price, my baker friend bought the set at $520, with uv filter w extra battery w 8GB SD . I bought my set at $487 w 8G SD. You should target $487 w 8GBSD or lower if no SD card. I bought a $15 silver UV filter online.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    That sounds more like v1.0

But try this :
    1. Update to latest firmware.
    2. Change the size of the AF area (helps lots)
    3. Try to focus on brights parts. I find that rather than just contrast, the AF seems to prefer bright stuff.
    4. Turn off AF assist lamp and try (I seem to find that Q10 focuses better w/o the light, yet to verify on Q though)

Hope it helps.

update camera/both lenses firmware again..no different. i know it is pretty hard to focus on less contrast subject but I expect Q with v1.01 would do better.
    switch off the AF assist light, it helps a bit. thanks sharing

No, the price $500 is the average price, my baker friend bought the set at $520, with uv filter w extra battery w 8GB SD . I bought my set at $487 w 8G SD. You should target $487 w 8GBSD or lower if no SD card. I bought a $15 silver UV filter online.
    thanks for the info bro..
    will keep a look out..

update camera/both lenses firmware again..no different. i know it is pretty hard to focus on less contrast subject but I expect Q with v1.01 would do better.
    switch off the AF assist light, it helps a bit. thanks sharing
    Found a solution after shooting on my speckle spray paint wall, very little contrast in warm fluorescent light, yes, it takes more than 3 seconds still not focussing.
    - change the AF method to the 25 focus point one
    - press hold OK button
    - turn dial to choose the biggest area of coverage
    - that way the 25 points covered the whole frame, almost and sure to able to spot a contrasting spot to activate AF

Maybe all your kids wear same color shirt/dress that day at Mac ?

Found a solution after shooting on my speckle spray paint wall, very little contrast in warm fluorescent light, yes, it takes more than 3 seconds still not focussing.
    - change the AF method to the 25 focus point one
    - press hold OK button
    - turn dial to choose the biggest area of coverage
    - that way the 25 points covered the whole frame, almost and sure to able to spot a contrasting spot to activate AF

Maybe all your kids wear same color shirt/dress that day at Mac ?
    I always focus on the face. Indoors the face is less contrast.
    I use your method to change to 25points focus with largest area, it works much better.

Will change to this af method during indoor shoot..thanks

I always focus on the face. Indoors the face is less contrast.
    I use your method to change to 25points focus with largest area, it works much better.

Will change to this af method during indoor shoot..thanks
    Yes, as I have mention above as well, changing the AF size will help a lot.
    Don't need it to be Max size.
    2nd size from smallest should work fine.
    I have that as default on my Q.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam

Yes, as I have mention above as well, changing the AF size will help a lot.
    Don't need it to be Max size.
    2nd size from smallest should work fine.
    I have that as default on my Q.
    Thanks for the tips.

I've been setting my AF to single small spot, thinking it can match K5Ii or K01 performance.
    Needless to say, AF lock has not being consistent.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast