Thread: Need help!!

Default Need help!!

Hey there!
    I am a newbie in using Manual Focus lens on DSLR! I have got 3 Pentax SMCs, namely the Pentax Asahi SMC M 40-80mm f/2.8-4, Pentax SMC M 28mm f/2.8, Pentax SMC F 35-80mm f/4-5.6. For the 40-80 and the 35-80, I have got no problems but with the 28mm, Sometimes I just can't get the focus right. I am using a 400D, so when I see the photos on the camera itself, its okay. But when I transfer to my computer, its rather blur. Any suggestions? Like any equipments that I need to buy? Thanks!

Maybe the lens itself is soft. Try shooting at smaller aperture with tripod. If it doesn't improve, u can throw away ur lens.

Or maybe some lens elements are loose
    hi

Default Re: Need help!!

When the shop owner took the photos, its completely perfect. I think its more of my own problem(?) Like unable to catch the focal point...

Maybe your focusing is off.... When previewed on the camera LCD, the screen is too small to see it. You can try to zoom in on the preview pict to see if your focusing is spot on or not.

But if using manual focus lenses, I think quite many folks here use focusing screen to help get the focus nailed down. I think Pentax may have something equivalent. you may want to also read up on that.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of technique.

Are you compensating for mirror slap?
    Alpha

OKay! Great help man. Thanks! But how much would it cost? Like around how much? Cus I just read up briefly and it takes a slight bit of skill to put it in...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a matter of technique.

Are you compensating for mirror slap?
    Do mirror slaps occur on the 400D? Cus I thought its only on the FFs. I think I lack the technique...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Low Zhen Hui View Post
    Do mirror slaps occur on the 400D? Cus I thought its only on the FFs. I think I lack the technique...
    Any dslr with a moving mirror has mirror slap. This would show up as shake though, and not misfocus
    Alpha

if you want to use manual focusing lenses, replace the stock focusing screen to spit-image focusing screen, else use the live-view zoom in 100% to focus

* Google "spit-image focusing screen for 400D" for more info
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

mirror slap would be a consistently blur image across your lighter lens (which decreases the stability). heavier lens = more inertia.

you might wish to invest in a Focus Screen or install Magic Lantern addon which can do Focus Trap (half-hold shutter and rotate the focus ring, on AF-confirm from your chipped adapter the camera will automatically snap photo). Also with Magic Lantern you can do Focus Mask in Live View - all the points in focus will be super duper buzzing look.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Focusing with a 28mm manual lens can be difficult. The DOF can be very deep. Suggest you try hyperfocal especially when you take scenery. The link below show you how to do: eg @f/8 set the focus distance at 5.2m. Good luck

Depth of Field Table

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Low Zhen Hui View Post
    Hey there!
    I am a newbie in using Manual Focus lens on DSLR! I have got 3 Pentax SMCs, namely the Pentax Asahi SMC M 40-80mm f/2.8-4, Pentax SMC M 28mm f/2.8, Pentax SMC F 35-80mm f/4-5.6. For the 40-80 and the 35-80, I have got no problems but with the 28mm, Sometimes I just can't get the focus right. I am using a 400D, so when I see the photos on the camera itself, its okay. But when I transfer to my computer, its rather blur. Any suggestions? Like any equipments that I need to buy? Thanks!
    You should post here to get targetted help.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/other...nversions.html

or the Pentax/Ricoh forum
    Pentax/Ricoh

Some people prefer the original matte auto focus screen.If you use the wrong split image focusing screen it may not be
    compatible and the focus will be off from the sensor focusing plane.You can try the Katzeye but I think you have to order
    online.
    KatzEye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens

canon eos40+katzeye test
    Test: Canon EOS 40D + Katz Eye Split Prism Manual Focusing Screen | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

but with the 28mm, Sometimes I just can't get the focus right. I am using a 400D, so when I see the photos on the camera itself, its okay. But when I transfer to my computer, its rather blur. Any suggestions? Like any equipments that I need to buy? Thanks!
    This should not be the case.Check your software settings but I suspect the 28mm may have been dismantled before
    so some lens element may not be put properly back during assembly.Use zoom feature of camera to check.

Stop down your 28mm to F10 or above and observe if anything is in focus at all.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if you want to use manual focusing lenses, replace the stock focusing screen to spit-image focusing screen, else use the live-view zoom in 100% to focus
    * Google "spit-image focusing screen for 400D" for more info
    I'm sure you mean 'split focus screen' - we don't want any saliva in the mirror chamber
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I'm sure you mean 'split focus screen' - we don't want any saliva in the mirror chamber

lol, to rely on spell check liao, my bad,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio