Thread: DxO Optics Pro 2.2 - Opinions?

Default DxO Optics Pro 2.2 - Opinions?

I am currently looking for a good RAW converter and post-processing software for my Canon EOS 20D. The camera came with Canon Digital Photo Professional 1.5.0.3 (DPP) and the Canon Digital EOS Solution Disk 9.1, so I tried those. DPP turned out to be a rather simple program, though.

So, I've just downloaded and tried DxO Optics Pro 2.2, which seems to do a much better job (at first glance, at least).
    • Is it worth buying?
    • What other software should I look at first?
    • Is there better stuff?

Thanks for your experiences and opinions!

Capture One + Magne Nilsen Camera Profile for 20D gives excellent color rendition

I second that. CaptureOne has a very good raw workflow and the resulting colours from 20D RAW images are beautiful when used with Magne Nilsen's ICC profile.

I have not tried the DxO Optics Pro software so I don't know how it compares with CaptureOne. I don't seem to read much about it in the forums. Maybe it's because it can be quite expensive in the long run. Though it appears to be relatively reasonably priced, the package is only good for 1 specific lens. An additional module is required for every lens you want to use this software on and this can work out to a lot in the long run. Also, the lens modules appear to be specific to the camera used as well, so if you change camera eg. upgrading from 10D to 20D, the previous lens module cannot be used anymore and a new one would have to be purchased for the existing lens.

Regarding the lens module, I think what tomcat is referring to was DxO Optics Pro V2. However, for v2.2, the cameras have been grouped together into the Normal and Elite package. Thus, I believe that if you upgrade from 10D to 20D, if your original lens module was say 17-40mm, it can still be used for 20D.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy
    Regarding the lens module, I think what tomcat is referring to was DxO Optics Pro V2. However, for v2.2, the cameras have been grouped together into the Normal and Elite package. Thus, I believe that if you upgrade from 10D to 20D, if your original lens module was say 17-40mm, it can still be used for 20D.
    Going by their pricelist here:
    http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/optics_p...price_list.pdf

Each camera in the Normal or Elite package has a list of lenses that are supported by correction modules. If the module for each lens is useable in other cameras, there would be no need to list the lens modules in this way.

The DxO Optics Pro and Lens Correction Modules were actually marketed much earlier than the DxO Raw Engine and has been reviewed in some detail by The Luminous Landscape in May 2004 here:
    http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/optics_p...price_list.pdf

According to the review, it would seem that each module must be custom tailored for each lens-camera combination as the correction computations have to take into consideration both lens design and the optical path from lens to sensor which can vary significantly from one camera model to another for the same lens. Hence, even back then, these modules must be purchased separately depending on which camera and lens combination they are for.

The Luminous Landscape Review is about an old version though. The software now supports raw images.

It also does distortion correction for the specific lenses selected - are there other programs that also do distortion correction? From the Capture One Website, I get the impression that Capture One only works on colors.