Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 105

Thread: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

  1. #81

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalphoto View Post
    They always engage those photographers offer very low fee but not to that price of $200 for full day!!!
    what's wrong with $200? Willing Buyer + Willing Seller, some newbies may want to earn experience & some pocket money for time being...

    It is now so easy to take good pictures ! not to mention DSLR equipement, even iPhone Instagram can take very good pictures. With social media tools, anyone can promote and expand business at a large scale.
    Last edited by Exposure; 6th January 2013 at 01:22 PM.

  2. #82
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    what's wrong with $200? Willing Buyer + Willing Seller, some newbies may want to earn pocket money for time being...

    It is now so easy to take good pictures ! not to mention DSLR equipement, even iPhone Instagram can take very good pictures. With social media tools, anyone can promote and expand business at a large scale.
    Problem is that will cause people to have a perception that 200 is the norm. It is no problem for newbies, but for those running a photography business, it will be a problem. From a business point of view, no matter you are hobbyist or a photog living off photography, there are certain tools involved and maintenance and purchase of these adds up to the capital and charging so low, when would you recover your capital. Of course, you may say hobbyist will just earn some pocket money and be satisfied, but what impact does it do to the photography business?

  3. #83

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Problem is that will cause people to have a perception that 200 is the norm. It is no problem for newbies, but for those running a photography business, it will be a problem. From a business point of view, no matter you are hobbyist or a photog living off photography, there are certain tools involved and maintenance and purchase of these adds up to the capital and charging so low, when would you recover your capital. Of course, you may say hobbyist will just earn some pocket money and be satisfied, but what impact does it do to the photography business?
    yes, you are right, there is impact to the industry, but this cannot be stopped in today's digital age. To survive and win, one has to prove to be SPECIAL from others.

    Because of the advancement and ease of reach in technology, there is a growing pressure to produce better pictures, those in the profession must find their "X-factors" to sell their services in order to gain a competitive edge over their business rivals. So other than shooting better pictures, they have to package things like overseas travel experience, costume themes, and even the photographer's personality, looks or status in the media industry.

    To be a photographer alone is NOT ENOUGH. You need to know business marketing if you a full time, you must be a businessman cum photographer
    Last edited by Exposure; 6th January 2013 at 01:48 PM.

  4. #84
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure

    yes, you are right, there is impact to the industry, but this cannot be stopped in today's digital age. To survive and win, one has to prove to be SPECIAL from others.

    Because of the advancement and ease of reach in technology, there is a growing pressure to produce better pictures, those in the profession must find their "X-factors" to sell their services in order to gain a competitive edge over their business rivals. So other than shooting better pictures, they have to package things like overseas travel experience, costume themes, and even the photographer's personality, looks or status in the media industry.

    To be a photographer alone is NOT ENOUGH. You need to know business marketing if you a full time, you must be a businessman cum photographer
    It is a business, after all. Marketing, packaging and interaction with clients are all so important. As with businesses, you evolve over time. But accepting extremely low rates is a no-no. It boils down to whether you can recover captial and go on to profit, maintain equipment and feed youself and your family. Accepting lower rates could be a way to survive the competitiveness but if done to the point of cut throat lowering of price will just destroy your business slowly.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Jakarta-based Photographer is charging Sing $10,000 and above for wedding shoots. Best of all, his schedule is packed. He also shoot in Singapore at times.

    Blog | Axioo

    I came know about him when my friend engaged him to shoot the wedding.

    Why are his clients willingly to pay him such amount? If you have the chance, talk to him. Photography is a business if you intend to do it full-time. Since it is a business, taking good pictures is not everything. It is just one of the factors. If you are in a business, what will you do to ensure or make sure that you can sell your product(s) at your price? It is not that easy as everyone thinks.

    There is no need to worry about low-rates charged by the photographers. They will vanish by themselves as time goes by without anyone doing anything.

    Due to low barriers to entry, anybody can enter this industry with ease. But who can survive over the long term is another question.

  6. #86

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    $10000 can hire 1000 photographers in Clubsnap. Just mentioned 'paid job' 'wedding' 'portfolio' 'budget'

    And you will have an army of photogrs wannabes each carrying $10000 worth of gear themselves, enough to jam the road and activate ang chia matan.

    It's almost like magic. Just use the keywords and an army of darkness will be raised.
    Last edited by JasonB; 7th January 2013 at 09:53 AM.

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB
    $10000 can hire 1000 photographers in Clubsnap. Just mentioned 'paid job' 'wedding' 'portfolio' 'budget'

    And you will have an army of photogrs wannabes each carrying $10000 worth of gear themselves, enough to jam the road and activate ang chia matan.

    It's almost like magic. Just use the keywords and an army of darkness will be raised.
    Lol $10 per photog! May 100 photographers bah...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  8. #88

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by weddingphotography View Post
    Jakarta-based Photographer is charging Sing $10,000 and above for wedding shoots. Best of all, his schedule is packed. He also shoot in Singapore at times.

    Blog | Axioo

    I came know about him when my friend engaged him to shoot the wedding.

    Why are his clients willingly to pay him such amount? If you have the chance, talk to him. Photography is a business if you intend to do it full-time. Since it is a business, taking good pictures is not everything. It is just one of the factors. If you are in a business, what will you do to ensure or make sure that you can sell your product(s) at your price? It is not that easy as everyone thinks.

    There is no need to worry about low-rates charged by the photographers. They will vanish by themselves as time goes by without anyone doing anything.

    Due to low barriers to entry, anybody can enter this industry with ease. But who can survive over the long term is another question.
    10,000 SGD ? i knew someone who sold each photo for US$500, imagine if customer bought 50 photos or more.. and he is just using a mirrorless compact camera.
    Last edited by Exposure; 9th January 2013 at 03:04 PM.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    10,000 SGD ? i knew someone who sold each photo for US$500, imagine if customer bought 50 photos or more.. and he is just using a mirrorless compact camera.
    Hahaha... I would like to know how he do it!!! Selling USD500 per image and using mirror less. I will queue up and pay to know the secret.

    Hart

  10. #90

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    well, in NY if u charge less than $10k for a wedding no one will hire you

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,614

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Haha recalling the Toa Payoh Garden days long line of parked wedding cars as far as the eyes can see.

    OT bit. Sharing a shot @ Toa Payoh Garden

    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  12. #92

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    OT bit. Sharing a shot @ Toa Payoh Garden

    vintage...... maybe this market can do again. must try..... but must find supplier who can do this vintage stuffs...
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  13. #93
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    OT bit. Sharing a shot @ Toa Payoh Garden

    double exposure on film.... superb!
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #94

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Hahaha... I would like to know how he do it!!! Selling USD500 per image and using mirror less. I will queue up and pay to know the secret.

    Hart
    I'll pay more to cut queue and know it before Hart does. Oh but then Hart is "atas" and probably can outpay me anytime. =P

    Hart, no offence...
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  15. #95

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when you shoot for low budget customers, it is not like doing charity work,
    doing charity work, you will feel good because you are helping needy people,
    they appreciated your good deed,
    at least you will received a little of appreciation, and tax exemption for your expense too.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to those who just started out, try not to compete price with hobbyists, you simply can't outbid them with prices, after a few jobs, they quit, but more hobbyists will come in, you are fighting a price war that never end.
    Thanks for the good advice, uncle catchlights =)
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,614

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    double exposure on film.... superb!

    Thanks bro had used a RolleiCord TLR for this shot with Kodak KP120.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  17. #97

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    I'll pay more to cut queue and know it before Hart does. Oh but then Hart is "atas" and probably can outpay me anytime. =P

    Hart, no offence...
    Hahaha... Since when I become atas?

    We all can know how to sell $500 per shot. I know people who sell for SGD$400 per shot and no, I am not talking about commercial shoot.

    Hart

  18. #98

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Hahaha... Since when I become atas?

    We all can know how to sell $500 per shot. I know people who sell for SGD$400 per shot and no, I am not talking about commercial shoot.

    Hart
    You are atas wad.. hehe

    Yup.. we all can know how to sell a photo for $500..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  19. #99

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    i saw someone offer outdoor shoot for $100, Actual Day for $688... Not sure if I should say, so I'll leave it as it is. But the photos are quite good...
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  20. #100

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    i saw someone offer outdoor shoot for $100, Actual Day for $688... Not sure if I should say, so I'll leave it as it is. But the photos are quite good...
    Good is a matter of perception and level of taste. There are as many good and free photos out there as there are as many lousy yet expensive photos.

    End of the day a professional photographer does not easily give away value and good work without being properly compensated and he simply does not associate himself with those people that do because such behaviour and individuals stun his business progress.

    One of the reasons why many photographers failed to advance their photography business is the unwillingness or lack of time and money to invest on marketing, brand building/positioning and advertising. A photographer doing well have good cashflow to reinvest into his business for long term goals but a photographer barely meeting ends does not have luxury of such resources. How? What to do?

    Entreprenuers and career photographers are willing to take calculated risks and loan money for it, or sacrifice other luxuries in life or time to make it happen. Many of them think very hard and plan for weeks or months and speak to many mentors. Rest of the crowd are having company workers' mindset, hobbyists mindset, and simply cannot make it.

    Media schools are teaching technical skills, rules of obedience and follower's thinking to prepare them to be employees, not self-employed. Unfortunately the requirement for full time staff photographers is extremely low, worldwide.

    The world has never played fairly and will not be anytime soon.

    If the whole industry's pricing bar can be raised on the whole, at least the bottom feeders still won't be so poorly treated.

    Too bad the very resistance came from the same bottom tier of photographers. Plus too many external factors all eager to prey upon the industry's gullible new comers.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •