Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 105

Thread: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    when you shoot for low budget customers, it is not like doing charity work,
    doing charity work, you will feel good because you are helping needy people,
    they appreciated your good deed,
    at least you will received a little of appreciation, and tax exemption for your expense too.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #22

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Great posts Catchlights.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  3. #23
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to those who just started out, try not to compete price with hobbyists, you simply can't outbid them with prices, after a few jobs, they quit, but more hobbyists will come in, you are fighting a price war that never end.
    Hobbyist is one of those spoiling the market I suppose..... and those new start up have a tough fight. Some hobbyist are not bad too....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Hobbyist is one of those spoiling the market I suppose..... and those new start up have a tough fight. Some hobbyist are not bad too....
    New start ups are spoiling their own markets too, by competing with hobbyists in the battlefield of pricing. Pricing is not a place you want to do battle with. Carve your niche and find your market segment. Otherwise one is not much difference from hobbyists.

    One difference between hobbyists and startup career photographers are that hobbyists are very willing to invest in gear and toys, very little in business, whereas career photographers should be investing in their business, and gear is only a small 15% to 20% of it. Thus the phenomenon of people shooting free or lowly paid jobs with expensive cameras and exaggerating gear versus the reverse. This is often the downfall of newbies. Spend too much, yet no business, cannot sustain. Die and repeat.
    Last edited by JasonB; 13th December 2012 at 10:46 AM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    I just heard pixies and Raymond are dropping their prices from $1400.... What kind of move is this??
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  6. #26

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I just heard pixies and Raymond are dropping their prices from $1400.... What kind of move is this??
    Asking them directly and privately is more appropriate and polite than publicly discussing something 'you heard' that involves something as sensitive as people's pricing.

    I never heard anything like that and this is the first time I read or hear this and it is from your posting cowseye.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I just heard pixies and Raymond are dropping their prices from $1400.... What kind of move is this??
    It's whatever their move... Don't analyse what your peer is doing... U really don't know why they do it or how they do it.

    And don't think people drop their price just because the business is bad and don't think people up their price just because they are popular. As a business operator, you do things to fit into your larger strategies...

    Stop looking at surface and stop looking on your peers.

    Hart

  8. #28
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    It's whatever their move... Don't analyse what your peer is doing... U really don't know why they do it or how they do it.

    And don't think people drop their price just because the business is bad and don't think people up their price just because they are popular. As a business operator, you do things to fit into your larger strategies...

    Stop looking at surface and stop looking on your peers.

    Hart
    I agree. It is just like the private tuition business. Some who started in this, may charge 100 for 8hr/mth job, but a school teacher may charge 100/hr or even more. However each has their own pricing, and the pricing often reflects the quality that one can deliver. If a school teacher charges 200 for 8hr/month job, or even fights with the beginner at the 100 pricing, it is just like professional photographers (assuming he or she is sufficiently competent) lowering the pricing to that. It also reflects on one's abilities. Back to the photography business, there will always be people who start out and naturally offer lower price packages, but if one offers more, then charge more. There will always be still people who are willing to pay good money for a professional to do the job.

  9. #29
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    I noticed another trend nowadays. A lot of Malaysian photographers are shooting AD in Singapore nowadays at very low rates. The most recent one I saw is one team that covers both photography and videography, 4 person crew, cover AD in 2 countries (one of them in Singapore) for 1k USD flat. And I have seen their work, which is actually pretty darn good.

    So the local wedding photographers are not just competing with hobbyists part timers, or undercutting new entrants... have to compete with good photographers from over the causeway. And you have to remember that their cost of doing business is a lot lower than most of the local ones here, so is their expectation of "profits".
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th December 2012 at 05:55 PM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I noticed another trend nowadays. A lot of Malaysian photographers are shooting AD in Singapore nowadays at very low rates. The most recent one I saw is one team that covers both photography and videography, 4 person crew, cover AD in 2 countries (one of them in Singapore) for 1k USD flat. And I have seen their work, which is actually pretty darn good.

    So the local wedding photographers are not just competing with hobbyists part timers, or undercutting new entrants... have to compete with good photographers from over the causeway. And you have to remember that their cost of doing business is a lot lower than most of the local ones here, so is their expectation of "profits".

    I thought since last time already? When a city doing financially better than the neighours, the people from the neighbouring countries or suburbs will move into that city to work.

    Also it is notesworthy that there are people who hire the top photographers precisely because they are expensive - to show they can afford the best. Same reason they hold weddings at the poshest hotels and venues, even thought another venue could have the same services for cheaper.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I thought since last time already? When a city doing financially better than the neighours, the people from the neighbouring countries or suburbs will move into that city to work.

    Also it is notesworthy that there are people who hire the top photographers precisely because they are expensive - to show they can afford the best. Same reason they hold weddings at the poshest hotels and venues, even thought another venue could have the same services for cheaper.
    Some use the top photographers because they like their work and believe money is a little price to pay and their memories are more important... yes, some pay just for the sake of getting the most expensive photog but that is getting less and less.

    Hart

  12. #32

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Some use the top photographers because they like their work and believe money is a little price to pay and their memories are more important... yes, some pay just for the sake of getting the most expensive photog but that is getting less and less.

    Hart
    Right, if one were to look at the recent thread of budget photographers from bridal studios losing all photos, one will quickly realize it is way better to spend properly for the things that matter than take risk.

    Its not getting less and less, its still happening. You will be amazed at how affluent people spend a lot of money on art pieces without truly knowing the meaning behind that artwork. They are pursuing other stuff like artist's names, repute, exclusivity and ownership of something rare - all perceived value. At the same time, there are still people who do know and appreciate.

    End of the day, many creative work is still perceived value. We don't measure or price by megapixels, nor number of pics, nor duration of video, nothing really tangible.
    Last edited by JasonB; 15th December 2012 at 10:20 PM.

  13. #33
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I thought since last time already? When a city doing financially better than the neighours, the people from the neighbouring countries or suburbs will move into that city to work.

    Also it is notesworthy that there are people who hire the top photographers precisely because they are expensive - to show they can afford the best. Same reason they hold weddings at the poshest hotels and venues, even thought another venue could have the same services for cheaper.
    Been going on for a while, but this past 2 years has been especially so. With photographers from over the causeway actively advertising "overseas" AD coverage.

    The ones that hire the best to show off are quite minimal nowadays. Expensive photographers/videographers are not showy when compared to a nicer car, big banquet hall, long expensive dress, jazz band, etc...

  14. #34

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Expensive photographers/videographers are not showy when compared to a nicer car, big banquet hall, long expensive dress, jazz band, etc...
    I personally think if you hire a quality of videographers/photographers, a quality morning highlights or short pre-wedding video shown during dinner would be super duper impressive to all, and the response is generally very loud cheers and positive feedbacks to couples and videographers/photogs.

    Not showy meh? I'm really impressed by those operating in teams using jibs/cranes/sliders, imagine all the pre-production creative process they went through. I don't believe with all those visuals everyone would be wow'd right? haha
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Actual Day Wedding Photographer Needed (budget below $800)

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    for those who offer service only in very low rate;
    they see themself like factory workers,
    thou the rate is cheap, but bear in mind that they don't need 5DMKIII, or D800E
    they don't use pro lenses,
    don't shoot with two bodies with prime lenses,
    don't shoot RAW,
    don't need many pieces of 32GB memory cards
    don't need photoshop or lightroom
    don't need highend computer,
    don't need calibrate monitor
    don't need bring notebook to go for shoot,
    don't need spend hours and hours post processing
    don't need run here and there to find creative angle
    don't need go high and low to find interesting viewpoint

    and they also don't need to meet up with customers,
    don't need to exchange 20-30 emails before confirm a shoot,
    don't need spend money to create and update hardcopy portfolio,
    don't need create fancy website and pay advertisement,
    don't need to join professional and trade associations
    don't need to attend workshops, seminars and conference

    that is how they can maintain very low overhead and charge so cheap,
    have all the time they can and shoot day after day.

    that is nothing wrong with this, just the way they position themself in the photography business.
    Hey catchlights, thanks for sharing and providing insights in the real world of photo biz.
    Last edited by StarAlliance; 16th December 2012 at 10:00 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    ...the response is generally very loud cheers and positive feedbacks to couples and videographers/photogs.
    I can't speak for everyone, but as a wedding guest I often clap and cheer as loud as I can as a way of celebrating with the couple, showing my support/love. Not really because I enjoyed _______. Not saying the quality of work doesn't make a difference, but I'd attribute a large % of the response to the fact that most people are there to celebrate one of the most significant & happiest events in the life of someone they care about.

    If there happened to be things to be critical about, I suspect the average guest will just keep it to themselves. Maybe only those closest will be open with the couple, even then, they might save the comment for another day. It's the couple's big day, nobody wants to ruin it with a poorly placed remark if they can help it.

  17. #37
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    I personally think if you hire a quality of videographers/photographers, a quality morning highlights or short pre-wedding video shown during dinner would be super duper impressive to all, and the response is generally very loud cheers and positive feedbacks to couples and videographers/photogs.

    Not showy meh? I'm really impressed by those operating in teams using jibs/cranes/sliders, imagine all the pre-production creative process they went through. I don't believe with all those visuals everyone would be wow'd right? haha
    Well, from experience, budget for photography/videography is usually very low on the list. Maybe different people have different priorities, but that is what i have seen so far.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I noticed another trend nowadays. A lot of Malaysian photographers are shooting AD in Singapore nowadays at very low rates. The most recent one I saw is one team that covers both photography and videography, 4 person crew, cover AD in 2 countries (one of them in Singapore) for 1k USD flat. And I have seen their work, which is actually pretty darn good.

    So the local wedding photographers are not just competing with hobbyists part timers, or undercutting new entrants... have to compete with good photographers from over the causeway. And you have to remember that their cost of doing business is a lot lower than most of the local ones here, so is their expectation of "profits".
    I saw a team of 4 person crew photographers crew at my friend wedding yesterday. Could it be them? but the video montage is one of the best i have seen. It just seem like a movie quality montage. Very nice

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Well, from experience, budget for photography/videography is usually very low on the list. Maybe different people have different priorities, but that is what i have seen so far.
    Gotta agree to that. Most couples blow their money on the venue and gown. But then again, you can't blame the couple. The prices for the venue etc. are astronomical, and they know they have the bargaining power. Photographers, on the other hand, do not wield as much bargaining power.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  20. #40
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Whole day wedding photography for less than $800?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Gotta agree to that. Most couples blow their money on the venue and gown. But then again, you can't blame the couple. The prices for the venue etc. are astronomical, and they know they have the bargaining power. Photographers, on the other hand, do not wield as much bargaining power.
    Depending on how individual couples see their wedding memories perhaps... For my situation, if the job is simply too unacceptable, I would kindly ask them to access other pg/vg.
    Last edited by hanqiang1011; 17th December 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •