Thread: problem with my Nikon 50 1.8

Default problem with my Nikon 50 1.8

Need some advise on my nikon 50 1.8
    I hasn't been using tis for quite sometime till today. I mount the Len on my body but there is a error msg keep appearing in the view finder, can't shoot with it at all. I try removing it and remount again but it the same. I try to mount another Len on my camera body and it fine than I try the 50 1.8 again and the same thing happen. Anybody encounter this before?
    Pls advise as the warranty from Nikon Singapore has just over.

G or D lens? If D then make sure the aperture ring is set to 22 and locked in.

Default Re: problem with my Nikon 50 1.8

is it a D lens version?
    do you lock the aperture at f22?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Hanmin147
    G or D lens? If D then make sure the aperture ring is set to 22 and locked in.
    Should be D len. Anyway I did set it to 22 and lock it but it the same. Wat if it G len?

Quote Originally Posted by Gikens

Should be D len. Anyway I did set it to 22 and lock it but it the same. Wat if it G len?
    A G lens won't have a manual aperture dial

A G lens won't have a manual aperture dial
    Oic.. still trying to figure out Wat wrong..

Oic.. still trying to figure out Wat wrong..
    Next guess would be corroded contacts on the lens?

Next guess would be corroded contacts on the lens?
    Wat do u mean by corroded contacts on the len?

Wat do u mean by corroded contacts on the len?
    There is no "Len". It's "lens". He means look at the metal contact points at the mount for dirt and corrosion.
    Alpha

I would suggest that TS states exactly what error message comes up. We keep guessing based on his assumptions - which could be wrong in the first place.
    Alternatively TS could check with Nikon Service Center or a fellow Nikon users whether the same error message comes up there as well. That could narrow down the source of the problem. The former one might be able to give immediate advice and (if necessary) costs of repair. Better than wild guessing ...
    Last edited by Octarine; 29th November 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I would suggest that TS states exactly what error message comes up. We keep guessing based on his assumptions - which could be wrong in the first place.
    Alternatively TS could check with Nikon Service Center or a fellow Nikon users whether the same error message comes up there as well. That could narrow down the source of the problem. The former one might be able to give immediate advice and (if necessary) costs of repair. Better than wild guessing ...
    Tks for replying. The msg I saw through the view finder is "FEE" if I have not mistaken.

Hello Gikens,

Maybe this will help? The below mentioned link from Nikon USA Support should be quite informative.

What does the FEE or F-- error message displayed on an SLR camera mean?

I encountered something similar some time back with a D300 and one of my lens. I just lightly cleaned the contacts and re-mounted the lens and the error code went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gikens View Post
    Tks for replying. The msg I saw through the view finder is "FEE" if I have not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by nkartikeyan View Post
    Hello Gikens,

Maybe this will help? The below mentioned link from Nikon USA Support should be quite informative.

I encountered something similar some time back with a D300 and one of my lens. I just lightly cleaned the contacts and re-mounted the lens and the error code went away.
    Tks for the reply. I will try it tonite or tmr. Will keep u updated of the out come.

Quote Originally Posted by nkartikeyan View Post
    Hello Gikens,

TS, tks for the advise, I did try cleaning the contact but still the same. I think it need servicing already.