Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

  1. #21

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    The fruit company certainly does think that they could do everything by themselves (e.g. announcing that they will be moving away from Intel processors and hiring away the Samsung chip designer etc.) ... in fact it appears to be so since Steve Job's days .... remember that the Macs were never that successful until they moved over to Intel from DragonBall . Well, it seems like one big cycle back to where they were ... kekeke. Is it strange to me though ... that a company could think of ruling the world, where they could not even get their basic manufacturing, distribution and support right in the first place

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Apple is showing its hubris. It (thinks) it can afford to offend everybody else.
    It (thinks) it does not need help from anybody else. Well, at one time, Hayes was the king of modems.
    Polaroid and Kodak thought the sun would never set on them. Same story.
    Last edited by keiser; 3rd December 2012 at 07:08 PM.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    dover
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Apple's map is based on Vector graphics while Google's one is based on rasterized images.

    If you read test report, Apple map use only 20% amount of data compared to Google's. (This is like comparing a flash vector animation vs an avi file).

    Hence, Apple's map will be much faster than Google's when signal is bad (like our Sinktel 3G). Especially zooming into a vector graphic still give you sharp rendered image.

    The problem is that their map is too young, so the amount of data collected is not sufficient, hence the inaccurate location. Google had their time to fix all the errors in the past many years. Not many noticed as mobile GPS was not that commonly used.

    Apple should have delayed their map release. But moving away from Google's map is a great choice. In the coming years, after they have collected adequate amount of map data, accuracy will improve. Then they'll win in speed. (iOS version of an app is faster than its Android counter part under same hardware specs).

    They should fire the one who agree to launch the map this year, not the one who build the map.
    Last edited by htthach; 4th December 2012 at 12:26 PM.

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Quote Originally Posted by keiser View Post
    The fruit company certainly does think that they could do everything by themselves (e.g. announcing that they will be moving away from Intel processors and hiring away the Samsung chip designer etc.) ... in fact it appears to be so since Steve Job's days .... remember that the Macs were never that successful until they moved over to Intel from DragonBall . Well, it seems like one big cycle back to where they were ... kekeke. Is it strange to me though ... that a company could think of ruling the world, where they could not even get their basic manufacturing, distribution and support right in the first place
    Macs were VERY successful even before the transition to Intel processors. Much more so I dare say. Just take a look at the iMac G3, if you remember them. I'm just saying. :P And it was from PowerPC to Intel, not 'DragonBall'.. DragonBall was the name of 16mhz++ processors used on the early palm PDAs. Again, just pointing that out ..

  4. #24

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Ah yes ... PowerPC. Thks But I beg to defer that the iMac were widely successful before moving to the Intel platform

    Quote Originally Posted by polastax View Post
    Macs were VERY successful even before the transition to Intel processors. Much more so I dare say. Just take a look at the iMac G3, if you remember them. I'm just saying. :P And it was from PowerPC to Intel, not 'DragonBall'.. DragonBall was the name of 16mhz++ processors used on the early palm PDAs. Again, just pointing that out ..

  5. #25

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Quote Originally Posted by polastax View Post
    Macs were VERY successful even before the transition to Intel processors. Much more so I dare say. Just take a look at the iMac G3, if you remember them. I'm just saying. :P And it was from PowerPC to Intel, not 'DragonBall'.. DragonBall was the name of 16mhz++ processors used on the early palm PDAs. Again, just pointing that out ..
    The PPC Macs lack of success was the very reason AIM (Apple-IBM-Motorola) alliance didn't last. IBM could not see the need to keep supporting PPC when Apple wasn't selling very much of them.
    Intel was making tonnes of money with the success in the mobile/laptop front (Pentium M, Centrino platform), something that Apple wanted - and IBM refused to help with. Hence the secret negotiations with Intel.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    So tell me, 1 year later if Apple maps is still a mess, does it fire another staff?
    2 years later, still not ready.... does it fire another staff?
    3 years.....does it fire another staff?
    4 years.....does it fire another staff?
    5 years.....does it fire another staff?
    .
    .
    .
    Nth year still not ready... does it fire another staff?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    So tell me, 1 year later if Apple maps is still a mess, does it fire another staff?
    2 years later, still not ready.... does it fire another staff?
    3 years.....does it fire another staff?
    4 years.....does it fire another staff?
    5 years.....does it fire another staff?
    .
    .
    .
    Nth year still not ready... does it fire another staff?
    not really. the Apple staff will mysteriously navigate their way to Google head quarters by virtue of the faulty map app . he he he
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  8. #28

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    So tell me, 1 year later if Apple maps is still a mess, does it fire another staff?
    2 years later, still not ready.... does it fire another staff?
    3 years.....does it fire another staff?
    4 years.....does it fire another staff?
    5 years.....does it fire another staff?
    .
    .
    .
    Nth year still not ready... does it fire another staff?
    No. Apple map will guide you to the nearest Apple store where they will sold you a tourist map

    I eats, shoots & leaves

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Apple has realised what a terrible mistake it was to remove Google Maps and replace with their own half baked version.

    Google Maps is back on the iphone.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BC06L20121213

  10. #30

    Default Re: Apple Fires a Manager Over Its Misfire Maps

    Australia police discourage people using Apple map when they almost screw up a rescue operation using Apple map to guide them to victims.

    Police said they rescued six motorists who were stranded following Apple's directions to reach an inland city were instead being directed to a national park -- some 43 miles from their desired destination.
    Australia police discourage use of Apple maps app after rescues | Apple - CNET News

    If you want people to get lost, give them Apple map
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 14th December 2012 at 12:44 AM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •