Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on Exposure

Default Re: Question on Exposure

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    It was mentioned in passing in post #22 and #23.

I didn't go into detail as I think he has his plate full already, don't need to introduce more technical jargon.
    my bad. thanks. meow.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

slowly..step by step.. i think TS is too overly excited and bit paranoid. Just keep shooting, keep trying keep reading and keep learning.

If u are keen u will improve. Enjoy the moment. dont think too much and etc. Being able to be there is what it matters most.. have photo is a plus..having good photo is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by kurby View Post
    Yes, totally agree with capturing the moment....but at the same time if you have the equipment then might as well make use of it....I am still learning....so would be good to try as much as I can...
    Making full use does not mean that a user must use all different modes for equal wear and tear like car tires. Use the mode that helps you most to get the shot. Shooting Manual for the sake of it is pointless - and unless you brag about it online by showing off exif data nobody will ever notice which mode was used. But surely many will recognize boring, underexposed or badly composed pictures
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    bring back sunny 16 !
    Errrr....I don't understand....

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    slowly..step by step.. i think TS is too overly excited and bit paranoid. Just keep shooting, keep trying keep reading and keep learning.

If u are keen u will improve. Enjoy the moment. dont think too much and etc. Being able to be there is what it matters most.. have photo is a plus..having good photo is a bonus.
    Not paranoid....maybe just getting a little bit too technical...and trying to understand what each part of the camera does....

Have been playing around with the camera during the cruise and understand a bit more what to do with the camera...thanks all for the help and info...will definitely keep shooting for the pictures.....to me the story in a picture is more important, but I also wanna make when a moment is there...I dun screw up the shots hahah.....

It's a basic exposure guideline based on ISO, aperture and shutter speed in different lighting situations. Search here or in Google.
    Last edited by Octarine; 30th November 2012 at 03:53 PM.
    EOS

sunny 16 is secret technique passed down by a great sifu long time ago, only few chosen ones can learn it.

Have been playing around with the camera during the cruise and understand a bit more what to do with the camera...thanks all for the help and info...will definitely keep shooting for the pictures.....to me the story in a picture is more important, but I also wanna make when a moment is there...I dun screw up the shots hahah.....

read the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, Amphoto Books
    you can find it at our National Library

Last edited by catchlights; 30th November 2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    sunny 16 is secret technique passed down by a great sifu long time ago, only few chosen ones can learn it.
    nice, finally get to see the pic on film box hee... it's got an illustration of 'sunny 16' rule - basically when there's bright sunlight and clear skies the settings are aperture F16, shutter speed roughly equal to 1/ISO (here using ISO 100 film so shutter speed is 1/125). Now got internet so information much easier to find, luckily no need climb mountain to find sifus

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    This is a photo of the 2nd edition, the 3rd edition is also in the library, but the exposure concept hasn't changed much in years

Hope you had fun for your cruise and happy reading!

And you're right, the story is also important, you can get the most appropriate exposure but if the picture is not interesting then also no use. But exposure can be there to aid you in telling your story, setting the mood etc

Just borrowed this book...time to start reading...!!

Oh..correction....I was in P mode when I was shooting at the indoor playground...I should have gotten the same results as Auto if I was in A mode..am I right?
    Wow - indoor playgrounds - one of the most challenging shooting situations! Poor lighting coupled with fast moving kids and LOTS of kids!

Would be interested to know who can get good shots in these situations and what settings they use, I tried high ISO, which slows the shutter speed, so I end up with correct exposure but blurry kids. Quickening the shutter speed eliminates the blurry kids, but also makes the picture look like it was taken in a cave!

Quote Originally Posted by klim828 View Post

Wow - indoor playgrounds - one of the most challenging shooting situations! Poor lighting coupled with fast moving kids and LOTS of kids!

Would be interested to know who can get good shots in these situations and what settings they use, I tried high ISO, which slows the shutter speed, so I end up with correct exposure but blurry kids. Quickening the shutter speed eliminates the blurry kids, but also makes the picture look like it was taken in a cave!
    Erm. High ISO, given the same aperture, results in a FASTER shutter speed.

Same advice for you: learn about your camera metering, stop shooting manual mode if you have no idea what you are doing. Sounds like you increased shutter speed without increasing ISO
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Erm. High ISO, given the same aperture, results in a FASTER shutter speed.

Same advice for you: learn about your camera metering, stop shooting manual mode if you have no idea what you are doing. Sounds like you increased shutter speed without increasing ISO
    Haha. Yeah. I spotted that too and thought it was odd.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest

I understand the "Sunny 16" rule! I'm one of the chosen ones! Yay! Hahaha!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by klim828 View Post

you need to understand the basic principle of relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO,

read the book which I recommended, don't waste time and efforts try here try there and not getting any results, only make yourself frustrating.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

you need to understand the basic principle of relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO,

read the book which I recommended, don't waste time and efforts try here try there and not getting any results, only make yourself frustrating.
    I can only remember "Brother Blue Sky" and "Mr Green Jeans" from that books. Can't really remember what are they though...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123