Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Exposure

Quote Originally Posted by kurby
    Thanks for all the information....

So, if I am in A mode....changing the size of the aperture will not change the exposure (unless hit limit of either speed or ISO) since the camera will set the exposure back to the same (as metered by the camera) by changing shutter speed or ISO (if on ISO auto). Changing aperture size in this case is only to get the necessary effects that is managed by the aperture. To change exposure will then have to do a EV compensation cause that will tell the camera that I want an exposure higher/lower than what was metered...correct?
    Full marks!
    hi

Default Re: Question on Exposure

Quote Originally Posted by kurby View Post
    Thanks for all the information....

So, if I am in A mode....changing the size of the aperture will not change the exposure (unless hit limit of either speed or ISO) since the camera will set the exposure back to the same (as metered by the camera) by changing shutter speed or ISO (if on ISO auto). Changing aperture size in this case is only to get the necessary effects that is managed by the aperture. To change exposure will then have to do a EV compensation cause that will tell the camera that I want an exposure higher/lower than what was metered...correct?
    The exposure determined in A and S modes is based on what the camera thinks. You would not be wrong if all things are equal between the first and second time the camera takes the picture when changing aperture size. Changing the aperture would result in a same meter readout and therefore exposure would not change since the camera would think the same way. However, reality is not so simple. If you were for example, shooting a backlit portrait with the sun in the background, most of the time (also dependent on your metering setting/procedure) the camera would deliberately underexpose the photograph resulting in said person in silhouette. The sun may be covered by clouds, and the camera would correspondingly compensate for the reduction in contrast/light present (which leads to a more "even" exposure throughout) resulting in more details of the person being seen.

Try not to spend too much time theorycrafting and go out and try the settings in different conditions and you will understand much faster, my view is.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 28th November 2012 at 09:44 AM.

It is also depend on what you direct your camera to meter.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Thanks for all the information....great info....at least now I know what I am trying to do when I change the aperture in A mode...I have been thinking about exposure and have been playing with the aperture to get the exposure right...but hey all these are not correct....I should be changing the aperture in A mode to get the right depth of field....the camera will recommend a "correct" exposure....after that then I will decide if the exposure is what I want...and make necessary adjustment via EV compensation....

Gonna go shoot some more pics to try....tomorrow morning will shoot a sunrise :P (cause gonna be on a cruise....)...any advice for shooting sunrise??

Thanks for all the information....great info....at least now I know what I am trying to do when I change the aperture in A mode...I have been thinking about exposure and have been playing with the aperture to get the exposure right...but hey all these are not correct....I should be changing the aperture in A mode to get the right depth of field....the camera will recommend a "correct" exposure....after that then I will decide if the exposure is what I want...and make necessary adjustment via EV compensation....

Gonna go shoot some more pics to try....tomorrow morning will shoot a sunrise :P (cause gonna be on a cruise....)...any advice for shooting sunrise??
    If u are shooting on a cruise, might not have an interesting composition (if all u see is just a sunrise and a horizon.

Usually ppl try to get some sillouettes as the subject.

Using auto white balance might screw up the color. Try experimenting with diff white balance and see if u want warmer or cooler shots.

U may want to use manual focus coz AF dun really work that well under these conditions.

Keep firing away. You are definitely not going to do long exposures coz u r moving...
    hi

Or just shoot auto.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Or just shoot auto.
    Really? Why?

Really? Why?
    Why not?

Loads of people have captured great photos with unthinking cameras. Sometimes, we need to get some perspective of why we shoot. It's not to feel great that you have ultimate control of the camera. It has to do with capturing that moment we were there, to try to convey a little inch of what we felt.

Certainly you're not going to obstinately shove your smartphone in your pocket declaring that it is not good enough for the beautiful sunrise you are seeing.. If you don't have your DSLR with you? I know I won't.

In any case, the DSLRs of today are usually smart enough to give reasonably ok settings. A run of the mill horizon + sky sunrise probably won't trouble it too much.

Really? Why?
    So you stress less about exposure and enjoy your cruise more.

You can shoot in RAW + JPEG if you feel you will want to play with the file more later on. RAW also allows for some exposure adjustments.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 28th November 2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Why not?

Loads of people have captured great photos with unthinking cameras. Sometimes, we need to get some perspective of why we shoot. It's not to feel great that you have ultimate control of the camera. It has to do with capturing that moment we were there, to try to convey a little inch of what we felt.

Certainly you're not going to obstinately shove your smartphone in your pocket declaring that it is not good enough for the beautiful sunrise you are seeing.. If you don't have your DSLR with you? I know I won't.

In any case, the DSLRs of today are usually smart enough to give reasonably ok settings. A run of the mill horizon + sky sunrise probably won't trouble it too much.
    Yes, totally agree with capturing the moment....but at the same time if you have the equipment then might as well make use of it....I am still learning....so would be good to try as much as I can...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    So you stress less about exposure and enjoy your cruise more.

You can shoot in RAW + JPEG if you feel you will want to play with the file more later on. RAW also allows for some exposure adjustments.
    Don't worry no stress.....cruise is already too relax leow...so have enough time to explore the camera....anyway at sunrise....what's there to rush about ....get a cup of coffee and relax

Don't worry no stress.....cruise is already too relax leow...so have enough time to explore the camera....anyway at sunrise....what's there to rush about ....get a cup of coffee and relax
    Sunrise very fast one.

Everytime during sunrise on the beach I will be running around trying to get more compositions before the magic time is over.

user might wish to explore the different metering modes in user's camera ,
    spot
    center weighted
    matrix, evaluative , etc.

more accurate exposure with more accurate metering mode .

i am surprised this has not been mentioned .
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    spot
    center weighted

It was mentioned in passing in post #22 and #23.

I didn't go into detail as I think he has his plate full already, don't need to introduce more technical jargon.

spot
    center weighted

One step at a time... He at first did not really understand what the various modes really did or how exposure worked. The rest he can also learn by reading the stickies and his manual.
    Alpha

One thing at a time yah....lots to learn....but will keep that in mind....thanks....

bring back sunny 16 !
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Funny suggestion:

1. Throw away your camera manual (jeez, last time camera manual is only 30+ pages, nowadays it's 300+ pages, ain't nobody got time for reading that)
    2. Black-tape other mode on dial selection except M mode
    3. Set camera to use spot meter only
    4. Shoot in monochrome mode
    5. Start looking for shadow/highlight and practice your visualization

bring back sunny 16 !
    all you need to do is to read the instruction behind the film packaging and start shooting. left the rest to the minilab.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    all you need to do is to read the instruction behind the film packaging and start shooting. left the rest to the minilab.
    a long time ago some crazy cat talked about doing all these also in Newbie Forum. hmmm!
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast