Thread: Advice needed for virus/worm/trojan...

Arrow Advice needed for virus/worm/trojan...

Hey People!
    I am desperately seeking any kinds of help, assistance and advice for my laptop.

Recently, my laptop kana a virus. To be exact - a trojan. The name of the virus/worm/trojan is Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!} . I wonder if any of you here at CS is facing, or, have previously faced the same irritating problem before.

Nothing on the Symantec website describes about how to remove it. I have tried scanning, deleting and removing them manually but they are still there. My anti-virus software is avast! .

And I also happened to be an IT-Techie idiot.

Thus, please, please, please.... I appreciate if anybody here can offer me some very sound advice on how to remove this "thing" from my laptop.

Many many thanks again!

Cheers,
    -Michelle-

try this ... dunno if it works tho... but better than nothing ...

http://www.thetechguide.com/forum/in...howtopic=13994

worst case buy me and law dinner we fix for u ...

Looking at the solution, i think u better buy us dinner
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf
    Looking at the solution, i think u better buy us dinner
    Hehehehe.... of course lah! No problem...

Wait and see if I can get rid of this stupid thing. But till then....

Can somebody enlighten me what is the Windows Task Manager? Or is that the proper name to describe something that I have known already but no idea of it's name?

ARGHH!!!

Regards,
    -Michelle-

use lavasoft's adware SE and Microsoft's Antispyware beta1 to rid your computer of all residing spyware. then look for this program called MooLive! the Cleaner to remove the trojans..

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103
    Hehehehe.... of course lah! No problem...

Wait and see if I can get rid of this stupid thing. But till then....

Can somebody enlighten me what is the Windows Task Manager? Or is that the proper name to describe something that I have known already but no idea of it's name?

ARGHH!!!

Regards,
    -Michelle-
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Del together. Tada....
    Portfolio | Gallery

Looks like u got 1 type of the W32 trojan/virus. If u can, update ur antivirus n scan ur whole pc again.
    Norton Anti Virus most likely can detect n get rid of it.
    Look here for info:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com.../vinfodb.html#

The fastest way is to reformat your hdd..

Quote Originally Posted by Spyer2
    The fastest way is to reformat your hdd..
    Are you sure this is the fastest way? Probably you can demostrate with your hdd to convince us. Of course, you need to get the hdd back to its original state, which means having all programs and data restored.

Portfolio | Gallery

Usually update your virus definition file and run a virus scan using Norton should help to solve the problem.

Some virus reside in the System Restore partition. To clean virus in the Restore partition, reboot your computer and enter the Safe mode, disable System Restore from My Computer>properties>System Restore.

You can enter Safe Mode by pressing F8 after the POST Screen and before the Windows XP Boot Screen..

For Ads, I suggest you try Ad-aware (www.ad-aware.com) or Spybot Search & Destroy (Search and download from www.download.com). Install, update the program and run the scan.

First and foremost, STOP CLICKING ON THINGS SO HAPPILY ON THINGS U SEE ON UR EMAIL!

Sorry for the tone, but I guess the above had been repeated to death by many, many IT tech guyz.

Once u'd cured urself of that silly habit of clicking on whatever 'cute' things that comes thru da mail (friend or no friend) u can go onto the next step.

Disconnect frm the internet
    Run ur virus scan off a CD-R

If all else fails, reformat ur HDD and backup ONLY NECESSARY DOCUMENTS. U can format away all those 'cute-cute screensavers', 'cute-cute greeting cards' or 'cute-cute program' ur friend had sent u.

Mich, sorry to hear that you got a bug in your system. As with most of this irritating bugs, it can be a real pain to remove. I hope you have found a solution. Best way, bring it to your local area guru. I would recommend reinstalling your system but that's an extreme end. I do suggest that you do the following.

Download Firefox . It is an alternative browser. There are a handful of bugs that can be transmitted thru Microsoft IE browsers.

Never ever open email attachements. If you cannot differentiate what is an executable attachement or otherwise, rely on an old saying, "When in doubt, do not do." If your friend tell you its a "cute cute" program, that should set off alarms coz that's the modus which most bugs are transmitted.

Buy an anti-virus program and set it to poll daily for updates.

Update your Microsoft OS regularly.

If you're not sure with all this steps because you are non techie, find a local area guru and ask him to teach you the steps. Do not fall back on techies each time but rather learn from them on the basics on how to update and keep your system current.

Hope this helps.

steps to do

a) get a firewall, either zone alarm or windows firewall
    b) make sure your windows is patched to the latest critical patch (www.windowsupdate.com and www.officeupdate.com ) ie: windows xp sp2++

c) download spybot search and destroy, adaware and maybe hijaak this to clean up all the crap.

d) install and make sure the antivirus is updated.

----
    if you think his problems were terrible, I had the opportunity to clean up my sister's bf's notebook. had like 20 different viruses (spybot,sdbot,korgo.t, korgo.x, sasser, gaobot etc ) and tons of spyware..

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou

----
    if you think his problems were terrible, I had the opportunity to clean up my sister's bf's notebook. had like 20 different viruses (spybot,sdbot,korgo.t, korgo.x, sasser, gaobot etc ) and tons of spyware..
    hmmm... wonders where has he been surfing ....

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    hmmm... wonders where has he been surfing ....
    are you thinking what i am thinking???
    Portfolio | Gallery