Thread: Pricing of secondhand camera

Default Pricing of secondhand camera

[Also known as the Choosing Between Friendship and Camera/Dough Dilemma]

A good friend of mine is very interested in my ixus 300, which I bought at $800 last Nov. I also spent an additional $180 (about $60 each) on the case, spare battery and a 64mb CF card. I've lent her the camera for the past 6 months, and she's hooked, so she wants to buy it. What's a reasonable price for the whole package? Is there a formula of sorts for calculating the price of secondhand cameras? The camera is in excellent condition and I would hate to see it go, but I could do with extra dough or perhaps even get the ixus 330, which she agrees has more features than she can cope with! What do you guys/gals think? Thx in advance.

Default Re: Pricing of secondhand camera

Originally posted by rubric
    [Also known as the Choosing Between Friendship and Camera/Dough Dilemma]

A good friend of mine is very interested in my ixus 300, which I bought at $800 last Nov. I also spent an additional $180 (about $60 each) on the case, spare battery and a 64mb CF card. I've lent her the camera for the past 6 months, and she's hooked, so she wants to buy it. What's a reasonable price for the whole package? Is there a formula of sorts for calculating the price of secondhand cameras? The camera is in excellent condition and I would hate to see it go, but I could do with extra dough or perhaps even get the ixus 330, which she agrees has more features than she can cope with! What do you guys/gals think? Thx in advance.
    Typically if not-so-old, around 20-30% off the retail price? Of coz, depending on condition as well.

And if your friend has used it for so long, then she should pay for the "rental" as well.

Regards
    CK

nov to mar than your friend use, must be a friend. The Dilemma:

you use four months, she uses six months

the model got a new upgrade ixus 330 at retail $799

You like to sell her a ok price otherwise she feel better to buy a new 330.

my formula

Depreciation of camera 5% per month of balance value. She used after four months you own = $651.60

Accessories spare batt $60, CF card $60 other accessory ? $60
    less than a year 35% of orginal value = $117

Price of camera = $651.60
    Price of accessories = $117
    Look on friend's face after she knows the price= priceless!

Ckiang, I can't charge her rent, coz I insisted that she give the ixus a try, then she had to go overseas for some months & I asked her to bring it along! Sebastian, as you've figured, she's a good friend alright! Thx for doing the math for me. We'll probably come to an agreement. BTW, CP quoted me $680 before GST for the ixus 330.

Hmm! Good Friend. Make it better. Charge $300 bucks and plus she throw in a candle light dinner. Use the camera to shot. If not, I am sure there is alot of freelance photographer in here to offer their service. That's what I call a fair trade. Give and take. You give she take

compare with a similar spec model now and give a discount of 30%?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature