Thread: K100D shutter not firing

Default K100D shutter not firing

Just when I was telling myself not to think about the Olympus OM-D, my K100D just suddenly died.

The shutter does not fire; camera can power up; tried switching to MF, still the shutter cannot fire; checked shutter count online [18,587]

Anything else I can try?

I suppose the last step is to bring it to the service centre to get a quote on how much to repair...
    Olympus E-PM2 + Panasonic G6 + 12mm + 45mm + 45-175mm, Asus Vivotab Note 8, Blackberry Q5

Default Re: K100D shutter not firing

Quote Originally Posted by caterham7 View Post
    Just when I was telling myself not to think about the Olympus OM-D, my K100D just suddenly died.

The shutter does not fire; camera can power up; tried switching to MF, still the shutter cannot fire; checked shutter count online [18,587]

Anything else I can try?

I suppose the last step is to bring it to the service centre to get a quote on how much to repair...
    Has the camera confirmed focus (else it may be in focus priority and refusing to fire).
    However, I do remember that for K100D, the shutter releases w/o need for focus priority.
    Else check if you enabled shutter to fire w/o lens (eg. for manual lenses)
    Finally, maybe try a new set of batteries??

Whichever way you try to repair it, its probably at least ~$120 service fee + ?? parts.
    A 2nd hand K100D is probably no more than $250-$300 ( I sold mine 3yrs back at $350, so it can never be higher).
    Just bite the bullet and get a K01 or K30.
    Else even a 2nd hand Kx.

OM-D?
    Its your choice of course, but coming from a m4/3 user, I'd say that file quality wise, Kx onwards still betters m4/3.
    In fact I'm selling off my m4/3 stuff after dabbling with it.
    End of the day, I just felt that the files from the K5 was so damn good that very few cameras match it. (as is K01; K30)

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Has the camera confirmed focus (else it may be in focus priority and refusing to fire).
    However, I do remember that for K100D, the shutter releases w/o need for focus priority.
    Else check if you enabled shutter to fire w/o lens (eg. for manual lenses)
    Finally, maybe try a new set of batteries??

Whichever way you try to repair it, its probably at least ~$120 service fee + ?? parts.
    A 2nd hand K100D is probably no more than $250-$300 ( I sold mine 3yrs back at $350, so it can never be higher).
    Just bite the bullet and get a K01 or K30.
    Else even a 2nd hand Kx.

OM-D?
    Its your choice of course, but coming from a m4/3 user, I'd say that file quality wise, Kx onwards still betters m4/3.
    In fact I'm selling off my m4/3 stuff after dabbling with it.
    End of the day, I just felt that the files from the K5 was so damn good that very few cameras match it. (as is K01; K30)
    Thanks for the suggestions

Just tried firing without lens. Both shutter and sensor works, i.e. mirror flips, shutter fires, image appears.

Tried with 3 lens, camera does not AF or fire shutter.

Seems like the lens not "communicating" properly with the camera body; maybe lens mount issue?
    Olympus E-PM2 + Panasonic G6 + 12mm + 45mm + 45-175mm, Asus Vivotab Note 8, Blackberry Q5

It lives

Changed custom setting to enable AF using the centre OK button.

Camera now AF and fires. Have to get used to separate buttons for AF & firing shutter, but should be ok.

So perhaps it was the half-press AF mechanism that failed?

Sorry to trouble the forumers