Thread: Tanjong Chempedak, Pahang

Default Tanjong Chempedak, Pahang

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    all kind of critique that may improve my sense and skill, but I do more interesting on point of interest, is POI strong enough here, I found it is quite difficult to obtain strong POI in landscape

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    a beautiful landscape, with strong POI

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    it was near sunset, not the possible time though

ISO 100, F/11, 1/400 sec, D5100, 18-105 kit lens

PP: adjust contrast, cropping, saturation

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

well I have improve in taking some picture thank to all your advice, I believe FG MG,BG is filled up already, although if I can bend a little lower may have greater impact on FG

Default Re: Tanjong Chempedak, Pahang

eh just offering my 2 cents...

I feel it is a bit hard to critique cos there's nothing really wrong technically, however as you pointed out there's nothing strong to grab interest also heh...

Small issues maybe is the whole picture looks a bit soft, but looking at your settings less likely due to camera shake and wrong focus point. Some sharpening in software should help. The leaves coming into the frame on the top right looks out of place.

Maybe you can zoom in on the person, using the shoreline as a leading line, and wait for him to do something interesting or have a interesting pose then snap?

Thanks for sharing! Probably have to be more patient and explore more angles the next time to find interesting angles. Sometimes I go out and also can't find anything inspiring, but somehow the pros usually have better luck... hmm seems like the more experienced / hardworking / patient you are, luck comes more often

Blog Entries

I think choosing a better location and composition of the scene will help you greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    eh just offering my 2 cents...

I feel it is a bit hard to critique cos there's nothing really wrong technically, however as you pointed out there's nothing strong to grab interest also heh...

Small issues maybe is the whole picture looks a bit soft, but looking at your settings less likely due to camera shake and wrong focus point. Some sharpening in software should help. The leaves coming into the frame on the top right looks out of place.

Maybe you can zoom in on the person, using the shoreline as a leading line, and wait for him to do something interesting or have a interesting pose then snap?

Thanks for sharing! Probably have to be more patient and explore more angles the next time to find interesting angles. Sometimes I go out and also can't find anything inspiring, but somehow the pros usually have better luck... hmm seems like the more experienced / hardworking / patient you are, luck comes more often

Thank you for your reply...

picture that I attach here is being compress heavily, on actual picture it was much sharper, i don't zoom at all, it was using 18mm, and 1/400sec,

and thank you for your hint (right side cropping, it clear my mind) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think choosing a better location and composition of the scene will help you greatly.
    thanks, mind sharing your tips about this composition..., definitely I will need to learn....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndaniel View Post
    thanks, mind sharing your tips about this composition..., definitely I will need to learn....
    I felt the tree on the upper right hand corner is very distracting. The rocks are nice but from this far away angle, they look really distant. The background with the resort(?) may work, but the amount of elements here are just getting in the way of each other. Maybe try something more simple. Go lower, go nearer and isolate just a smaller view to shoot.

Nothing much to comment about, anyway is beautiful place to visit. Only one thing to comment is the horizon is off. Sorry, some other things which I could not comment like other possible shooting angle, shoot at the sunset time and etc, which is not related to your photo.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Hi ndaniel, this looks like a holiday snap to me... what is it that attracted you to this scene in the first place? the trees? rocks? or people? None of them are being highlighted, they're all random elements in the picture..

like some seniors above mentioned, a better position and composition will help greatly..

thanks for sharing though!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Blog Entries

From what I read your description under point 4, I feel a little hint of blind application of what you learned. Foreground, midground, background filled but do you realise the left is not filled which results in an off-balance composition. Then again, if you fill the left, you will end up with a shot with so many of everything. There is a lack of focus or clear subject. What are you trying to show, other than just a beautiful landscape? If it is the coastal shoreline you want to show, I feel it will benefit from a cleaner composition without so many elements in your frame, especially with everything pushed to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    From what I read your description under point 4, I feel a little hint of blind application of what you learned. Foreground, midground, background filled but do you realise the left is not filled which results in an off-balance composition. Then again, if you fill the left, you will end up with a shot with so many of everything. There is a lack of focus or clear subject. What are you trying to show, other than just a beautiful landscape? If it is the coastal shoreline you want to show, I feel it will benefit from a cleaner composition without so many elements in your frame, especially with everything pushed to the right.
    ah... just notice from your comment..., after much thought I realise that picture is off balance to the right, thank you, appreciate much

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Hi ndaniel, this looks like a holiday snap to me... what is it that attracted you to this scene in the first place? the trees? rocks? or people? None of them are being highlighted, they're all random elements in the picture..

like some seniors above mentioned, a better position and composition will help greatly..

thanks for sharing though!

Hi bonrya, it was indeed a holiday..., and as you said I will need to find stronger element to add into stronger composition, problem that I face whenever try to do landscaping is to find strong POI, I found that it is so difficult, any tips for doing so? so far I try rule of third and so on, but well .... my experienced proves that isn't adequate yet
    Last edited by ndaniel; 27th November 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndaniel View Post
    Hi bonrya, it was indeed a holiday..., and as you said I will need to find stronger element to add into stronger composition, problem that I face whenever try to do landscaping is to find strong POI, I found that it is so difficult, any tips for doing so? so far I try rule of third and so on, but well .... my experienced proves that isn't adequate yet
    One good guideline is keeping it simple...

This is sunrise I shot when on vacation 2+ years ago. just rocks, sun and the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One good guideline is keeping it simple...

This is sunrise I shot when on vacation 2+ years ago. just rocks, sun and the clouds.

wah nice example, thanks for sharing