Thread: Overtime work in video production

Default Overtime work in video production

I'm a foreigner who working as editor cum production assistant in sometime. I wanna know that's we don't hv any ot pay if we work overtime? On filming as well? Or it use off in lieu instead?

What is the basic benefit that company can gv to us? Now my company only have off in lieu if we work on weekend/PH. 30-50 allowance for filming. 7days leave per year.

Another thing is that, now my company have partial sponsorship on certain project, my boss dun gv us off in lieu but hv the allowance.

Hope that the boss who is in production line can gv me an idea...

Welcome to singapore. Perfectly normal here.
    Alpha

Default Re: Overtime work in video production

you can find out from Ministry of Manpower.

Employment Practices - Ministry of Manpower
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I understand the law under MOM. But how many bosses in video production are following??

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    We work overtime without being paid in Singapore because we have to be competitive in the world market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We work overtime without being paid in Singapore because we have to be competitive in the world market.
    and because if we leave work before 8PM, our boss looks at the watch, looks at us then goes "Half day today ah?"
    Alpha

I thought 14 days leave per year is minimum for MOM standard?
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    I thought 14 days leave per year is minimum for MOM standard?
    Depends if he's full-time or contractual.
    Alpha

I'm full time worker. Is that the reason if the boss is giving you off in lieu, so he only gv you 7days leave per year?

Another thing, how is bonus and 13 month??
    Is it depend on company profit??

Depends on your boss' mood

Quote Originally Posted by sockwei View Post
    I'm full time worker. Is that the reason if the boss is giving you off in lieu, so he only gv you 7days leave per year?
    If you're full time, you should get the minimum leaves as per MOm guidelines (check on the MOM website). In lieu means you worked on a holiday, so are entitled to either overtime pay or in-lieu leave. It's not part of the base leaves per year.
    Alpha

Another thing, how is bonus and 13 month??
    Is it depend on company profit??
    Yup, depends on what the company decides. It's not like other countries where there's a guaranteed 13th month, etc. It would all be detailed in oyur employment contract. Did you bother reading it?
    Alpha

I'm a foreigner who working as editor cum production assistant in sometime. I wanna know that's we don't hv any ot pay if we work overtime? On filming as well? Or it use off in lieu instead?

What is the basic benefit that company can gv to us? Now my company only have off in lieu if we work on weekend/PH. 30-50 allowance for filming. 7days leave per year.

Another thing is that, now my company have partial sponsorship on certain project, my boss dun gv us off in lieu but hv the allowance.

Have you talked to your boss/HR? Some of the stuff u mentioned are contractual, which only you and your boss are privy to. Go thru your employment contract first, then go clarify with your HR/boss...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If you mentally condition yourself that you are doing your bit for Singapore, without being paid for OT is a sacrifice you accept with pride and honour.
    Last edited by Sion; 23rd November 2012 at 05:53 PM.

In Singapore, this is quite normal. But if you are Singaporean, then you are likely to leave and find another job. That is why your boss look for FT thinking they are more receptive since they need the job more. It is also because you will only be here short term and once you save enough, you will say goodbye, that is why you don't mind. Many Singaporean going overseas also doing the same.

Singapore is an investment haven. So, it is all about investment and how to make more money. If workers from country A think this is not acceptable, they will look at B. That is why half the work force are foreigners.

usually for entry level/junior kind of jobs got OT pay. middle level and above no. some company will give monthly allowance.

you company so stingy, 7 days leave per year.... i think work for macdonald better....
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    usually for entry level/junior kind of jobs got OT pay. middle level and above no. some company will give monthly allowance.

you company so stingy, 7 days leave per year.... i think work for macdonald better....
    i work for worst boss in the world . self employed !
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    i work for worst boss in the world . self employed !
    Why don't you get a secretary?