Thread: Buying a new point and shoot with manual controls

Default Buying a new point and shoot with manual controls

Hi all, intending to buy a new camera

my primary objectives are to have a camera that can take
    1.nightshots
    2.moving pictures well
    3.if it's possible to take pictures of bright stars and moon?
    4.manual controls

These are the 3 models that I'm looking at, need advice on whether each camera can provide for my needs above and beyond? I don't know a lot of things, but would like to try out playing with manual controls primarily.

1.Canon powershot s110
    2.Nikon p310
    3.Sony DXC-hx20v

other recommended models are also appreciated.

my budget would be capped at 600.

Best would be to getva 2nd hand Canon g series or even a low-end dslr for 600.
    Alpha

Default Re: Buying a new point and shoot with manual controls

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Best would be to getva 2nd hand Canon g series or even a low-end dslr for 600.
    hi, why is that? do the above models not provide enough manual controls? I'm new so I thought I would start off from point and shoot.
    Last edited by Chaste; 22nd November 2012 at 10:34 AM.

the Canon PnS recommended by sempai Rashkae is good.
    I got my hands on one (a friend's) - it blew me away. very advanced Manual controls for a P n S.

But my friend is using it in Auto all the time -____-
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

the powershot s110 should exceed $600 I guess.. I'm using the S100, and it's really not bad as a compact with full manual controls. If you need it as a 2nd camera or if you're still learning how to take photos, the S100 should be good enough for you as well.

but then again, the p310 should do the same thing as well if you're not brand loyal.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by Chaste View Post
    hi, why is that? do the above models not provide enough manual controls? I'm new so I thought I would start off from point and shoot.
    Well, you would need to do some menu-digging every time you want to shift modes. Also, for things like star trails, the small sensor will show a huge amount of noise. For moon shots, you don't have the necessary focal length except maybe with the Sony, which has a nice 25-500mm equivalent focal length. The Canon G also does not have the focal length (or "zoom" if you prefer) for moon shots.

A nice entry-level DSLR will give you lots of easy controls for manual mode and you can always rent a nice long-focal length lens like a 75-300 or a 400 or 500mm for those moon shots.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 22nd November 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Alpha

Do look into Olympus XZ-2 and also Fujifilm X-F1 (which should have one of the biggest sensor in compact camera next to X100, RX100, G1X and of course RX1).

Also you might want to play around with interchangeable lenses and in that case the Pentax Q would come in handy (and I heard that prices are pretty good nowadays for the Pentax Q).

But finally, I would advise TS to really go to the shop and have a feel at all the cameras that he/she had listed down and see which one feels better in his/her hands, and which one's user menus made sense. I personally would like the XZ-2 and Canon's PnS, but that is me only.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Well, you would need to do some menu-digging every time you want to shift modes. Also, for things like star trails, the small sensor will show a huge amount of noise. For moon shots, you don't have the necessary focal length except maybe with the Sony, which has a nice 25-500mm equivalent focal length. The Canon G also does not have the focal length (or "zoom" if you prefer) for moon shots.

A nice entry-level DSLR will give you lots of easy controls for manual mode and you can always rent a nice long-focal length lens like a 75-300 or a 400 or 500mm for those moon shots.
    So, if I were to remove my expectations of wanting to take moon shoots/star trails will those above models fit?

You are referring to the sony model above that has 25-500mm focal length, right? just to clarify.

So, if I were to remove my expectations of wanting to take moon shoots/star trails will those above models fit?

You are referring to the sony model above that has 25-500mm focal length, right? just to clarify.
    Yup, the HX20v. Overall a good camera.

Yes, they will fit, but again for the money you could get an entry-level DSLR with kit lens and get much easier controls and far better image quality. Also, controlling autofocus is much easier on a DSLR.

If you're dead set on a compact, the ones you listed are all good, though the Canon has the advantage of the front dial while the Sony has a nice sensor and longer "zoom" which will also be useful at the zoo, etc.
    Alpha

Yup, the HX20v. Overall a good camera.

Yes, they will fit, but again for the money you could get an entry-level DSLR with kit lens and get much easier controls and far better image quality. Also, controlling autofocus is much easier on a DSLR.

If you're dead set on a compact, the ones you listed are all good, though the Canon has the advantage of the front dial while the Sony has a nice sensor and longer "zoom" which will also be useful at the zoo, etc.
    Are there any entry level dslr that you would recommend me to read up on?

and in what situation would a high zoom be preferred? I think it's good, but im not sure for my own use, how much do I really use the zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaste

Are there any entry level dslr that you would recommend me to read up on?

and in what situation would a high zoom be preferred? I think it's good, but im not sure for my own use, how much do I really use the zoom.
    Well obviously in situations where the subject may be a bit far away. Tigers at the zoo, kids playing in a fountain, the moon, etc.

Cheap entry level DSLR cameras would be the sony a37, Nikon d5100 and 5200, Canon 1100D and Pentax too. Second hand is even cheaper and usually work just fine. :-)
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Well obviously in situations where the subject may be a bit far away. Tigers at the zoo, kids playing in a fountain, the moon, etc.

Cheap entry level DSLR cameras would be the sony a37, Nikon d5100 and 5200, Canon 1100D and Pentax too. Second hand is even cheaper and usually work just fine. :-)
    Not forgetting, a decent tripod for night shots
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    Not forgetting, a decent tripod for night shots
    Yes but that's the same regardless of camera.
    Alpha

1.nightshots
    2.moving pictures well
    4.manual controls

These are the 3 models that I'm looking at, need advice on whether each camera can provide for my needs above and beyond? I don't know a lot of things, but would like to try out playing with manual controls primarily.

1.Canon powershot s110
    2.Nikon p310
    3.Sony DXC-hx20v

You doesn't sound looking for DSLR, don't you? If digicam, I would reckon Lumix LX7 cost below $700 only or LX5 if you can find a brand new set as the price should be cheaper by now because of LX7. I have LX5 kept in my bag always / everyday I go to work. So far so good and I'm very satisfied with it. Can even shoot macro (close-up) - at very short distance. I can bet you will never regret... Send me a private message if you have any further queries..

Cheers.
    Walj
    Last edited by waladjam; 22nd November 2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Canon User

I just got my S100 from B&H for USD329. Checked before posting this, gone down further to USD309. Shipping by, for eg, Comgateway (Borderlessbuys) would be S$20-30 (Free shipping inside US to Comgateway). Including GST, it'll come to S$450 thereabout or less. For me, I chose the S100 vs S110 because of price, basically both are same, even compared with S95. Our S95 is still fine after several years. Before I ordered the S100 two weeks ago, one S'pore shop quoted $599 for S110 with case & said S100 is the same price since nil stock & they have to source for it. The S100 photos are very sharp, even for night shots. Hope the info is useful for your decision making :-)
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Blog Entries

I think you mean 3200. Because the 5200 is not out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think you mean 3200. Because the 5200 is not out yet.
    yupyup.
    Alpha

i would go for S110

1.nightshots
    2.moving pictures well
    4.manual controls

1.Canon powershot s110
    2.Nikon p310
    3.Sony DXC-hx20v

Buy a second hand EPL or the current on promotion J1/V1 (10mm pancake) or XZ-1.

1.nightshots
    2.moving pictures well
    4.manual controls

Not sure about your standard for requirements #1,#2, but #3, #4, the Pentax Q is worth a look

Q+300mm (1650mm equivalent)