Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: How to gaffer tape?

  1. #1

    Default How to gaffer tape?

    Can anyone share some tips and methods on how to gaffer tape a camera and lenses?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    Quote Originally Posted by RhysCheng View Post
    Can anyone share some tips and methods on how to gaffer tape a camera and lenses?

    Thanks in advance.
    just tear and stick?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,621

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    Er excuse my ignorance but why gaffer tape the camera and lens
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser
    Er excuse my ignorance but why gaffer tape the camera and lens
    i use it to prevent scratches. also it keeps low-profile when i go 3rd-world country.
    personal preferences.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

    just tear and stick?
    tks. shld have thot of tht.

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon...-camera-2.html

    There are some photos there to show you what others had done and I believe there are some tips in it too. Hope it help.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon...-camera-2.html

    There are some photos there to show you what others had done and I believe there are some tips in it too. Hope it help.
    tks! cldnt find when searching. tks again!

  8. #8
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    Quote Originally Posted by RhysCheng View Post
    tks. shld have thot of tht.
    no i mean seriously. just tear and stick. thats what i'm planning to do for my x100. i'll upload some pics when i'm done tmr.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

    no i mean seriously. just tear and stick. thats what i'm planning to do for my x100. i'll upload some pics when i'm done tmr.
    bro, im not being sacarstic. LOL. i thot there was a specific way of doing it. but realli, tks

  10. #10
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    Quote Originally Posted by RhysCheng View Post
    bro, im not being sacarstic. LOL. i thot there was a specific way of doing it. but realli, tks
    as far as i know... not any. last i touched a gaffer tape, it was a small piece given to me by francis747, to cover my eyepiece while shooting IR. just tear and stick lor

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RhysCheng
    Can anyone share some tips and methods on how to gaffer tape a camera and lenses?

    Thanks in advance.
    Whatever you do don't tape the rubber parts. Sticky residue will stay on rubber parts.

  12. #12
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RhysCheng

    i use it to prevent scratches. also it keeps low-profile when i go 3rd-world country.
    personal preferences.
    Just tape the glaring brands. I will also tape down the hotshoe because I don't use it when travelling.

    I tape before a trip and remove right after the trip. If ugly best... even more low profile. I also tape off the pop up flash to improve rain resistance. Of course I use water resistant gaffer. Not the standard ones.

  13. #13
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?



    As promised. Hehe

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

    As promised. Hehe
    wow! nice job bro! clean and neat. cant realli see the gaffer tape. thanks for sharing!

  15. #15
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    and the back view!



    i just overlapped many small pieces. not so much bothered about the aesthetics... its my intention to make it look as old and worn as possible.

    got a few comments at the market, saying i was using a very old film camera. most ppl probably thought i was a hippy or something, and let me shoot without any issues

    i touched up the eyepiece area already though. but not shown in this pic

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart
    and the back view!

    i just overlapped many small pieces. not so much bothered about the aesthetics... its my intention to make it look as old and worn as possible.

    got a few comments at the market, saying i was using a very old film camera. most ppl probably thought i was a hippy or something, and let me shoot without any issues

    i touched up the eyepiece area already though. but not shown in this pic
    sweet! seems like gaffer tape did its job
    hope i can achieve same results as u when i gaffer my 5d. although i know it wont be as successful.
    thanks bro. u have been a great help

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RhysCheng

    sweet! seems like gaffer tape did its job
    hope i can achieve same results as u when i gaffer my 5d. although i know it wont be as successful.
    thanks bro. u have been a great help
    A dslr will look big. So still be careful out there.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    anyone knows where to get small amounts of white gaffer tape at the lowest price?

    it usually comes in huge bundles and i'd never be able to finish it.

  19. #19

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    Gaffer tapes come mainly in black.
    Just wondering if you can substitute it with white plaster tapes you find in the pharmacy?

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to gaffer tape?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    Gaffer tapes come mainly in black.
    Just wondering if you can substitute it with white plaster tapes you find in the pharmacy?
    Gaffer tape comes in many colors actually... I am looking at a white roll infront of me now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •