Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We are a heartless bunch... (?)

Default Re: We are a heartless bunch... (?)

I tend to agree with the article. I would interpret here "emotionless" as the inability to express ourselves openly, and to be able to empathize. "Emotionless" here does not mean not being able to feel pain, joy, not able to laugh etc. Of course anyone can do that.

Simple examples of why Singaporeans are emotionless: Go to supermarkets or places with tight spaces. You will sometimes see people with their huge shopping carts in the way. Or they will stand in the middle of a busy path. They obviously can see you coming. But somehow, they behave as if you aren't there. You either got to squeeze your way through, or say Excuse me, to which not all will respond and might take their own sweet time to move away.

I've also seen people here who knock things off the shelves of supermarkets. They don't bother to put them back on the shelves. "Not my problem" is the attitude.

Then there are those who never seem to say Sorry when they bump into you or are in the way. It's difficult to say Excuse Me. Or sometimes, Thank you. Sales assistants in departmental stores are well-known for this. When was the last time you walked into a store and the salesperson is the first to say HELLO to you? Or will we be the first to say HELLO too? Unlikely.

When people say service staff are helpful or courteous here, I cringe. Cos they are likely in well-known establishments where they are trained (their companies pay for courses for them) to behave that way! Without such requirements these people may not be as courteous to begin with.

People here also don't dare to speak up. When writing in online forums, they act like big bullies. When come face to face, all turn into tiny mouses. So we endure our unhappiness, bear the grudges, then at any opportunity, we will slam them in newspaper/online forums. The point is, when we are in pain, why don't we shout? Why don't we settle it there and then if we do have emotions?

When using toilets or public amenities, people tend to treat them as "it's not mine, so who cares? Do I care who is going to use them next?" So we see lots of dirty public toilets. Suddenly it's as if we adults dunno how to pee! How often do we have pee stains all over the floor of our home's bathroom? If toilets here are clean, that's cos the poor cleaner is stationed there almost by the minute to clean any mess. Civic-minded people with emotions will never dirty public toilets to the extent we have here!

A friend recently fell off his motorbike and was bleeding on his arms. For a good 10 minutes, there were passersby. But not a single one went forward to help. Or at least bothered to ask if he needed help.

And the list goes on.....

So I think you guys get a feel of what "emotionless" here means. Just how I would interpret it.

Of course, it's very wrong to say everyone here behaves like that. There is also a good handful who are the opposite. But I definitely see A LOT more "emotionless" people here than in other countries.
    Last edited by kiwi2; 22nd November 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    I tend to agree with the article. I would interpret here "emotionless" as the inability to express ourselves openly, and to be able to empathize. "Emotionless" here does not mean not being able to feel pain, joy, not able to laugh etc. Of course anyone can do that.
    If you refer to the Gallup survey (Singapore Ranks as Least Emotional Country in the World ), this was done:

Gallup measures daily emotions in more than 150 countries and areas by asking residents whether they experienced five positive and five negative emotions a lot the previous day. Negative experiences include anger, stress, sadness, physical pain, and worry. Positive emotions include feeling well-rested, being treated with respect, enjoyment, smiling and laughing a lot, and learning or doing something interesting.
    Unfortunately their definition is not your definition leh. Experiencing emotion was the main focus, and I don't think "anger, stress, sadness, physical pain, worry, feeling well-rested, being treated with respect, enjoyment, learning or doing something interesting" has anything to do with open expression of one's emotion and ability to empathize. Your definition only applies to the part on "smiling and laughing a lot" actually.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 22nd November 2012 at 04:59 PM.

"emotionless" because we suppress our emotion or because we don't know how to use smiley
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by christeo View Post
    Singaporeans are toughest using the keyboards within forums. Face to face, they either don't speak or don't know what they are talking about.
    It is easier to smile with keyboard smiley
    Face to face, it is hard to smile when you are feeling down
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Whatever you want to see your eyes let you see.

What you cannot see doesn't mean they are not there.

You cannot see what you don't want to see.

are we becoming........vulcan?
    ....live long & prosper...

Not emotionless just most Singaporeans are afflicted with the Frozen Face and Golden Mouth syndrome.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Another useless survey.... think of this as an income generating survey that:

hates another race
    incite anti government
    inflame people
    is misleading description of one nation
    etc etc.

I wouldn't be too carried away in this survey.

Ask your self, are you emotionless?

The report says this conclusion is a result of a Gallup Poll.

Wow, we are impressed.

This is coming from the world famous Gallup Poll.

To give you an idea of how stunningly accurate and reliable the renowned Gallup Poll is, please read this recent issue:

Gallup poll shows Romney will win the election over Obama

Polls lie about Obama

Now you know.

If you pay somebody enough, he can usually skew a poll result statistically in your favour.

Follow up – How to Lie with Statistics (or a Poll) | Ted Werth | Salem
    Last edited by ricohflex; 22nd November 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikoneer View Post
    etc etc.

I wouldn't be too carried away in this survey.

Ask your self, are you emotionless?
    I asked myself what I felt and I felt nothing.

Are you the Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Not emotionless just most Singaporeans are afflicted with the Frozen Face and Golden Mouth syndrome.
    boh bian. U try to smile at someone in the lift, the girl thinks you are trying to tackle her; the guy thinks you are gay. You try to greet someone, same response. End up kena afflicted by the syndrome due to lack of usage. Heard the big pharmas are researching into developing new medication to curb this syndrome, thats' why many of them are based in Singapore.

Theres always the Jokes Thread in Kopitiam. but it is under-used again. must top up the laugh-level later.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
    boh bian. U try to smile at someone in the lift, the girl thinks you are trying to tackle her; the guy thinks you are gay. You try to greet someone, same response. End up kena afflicted by the syndrome due to lack of usage. Heard the big pharmas are researching into developing new medication to curb this syndrome, thats' why many of them are based in Singapore.
    We chinese have discovered the laughter accupoint long long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
    boh bian. U try to smile at someone in the lift, the girl thinks you are trying to tackle her; the guy thinks you are gay.
    lucky for you, pepper spray (or mace) is illegal in singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    lucky for you, pepper spray (or mace) is illegal in singapore
    it is??? WTF! I should have lodged a police report when this one time, an auntie sprayed something when i went into the lift that caused my eyes to tear. And all this while, i thought it was her BO.. (or was it my BO??) anywayz....

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    We chinese have discovered the laughter accupoint long long time ago
    i need to find a sinseh to 'unlock' my laughter accupoint...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12