Thread: Colour Management Help??

Default Colour Management Help??

Have been looking around for an answer to this question but haven't been very successful.

How do I get the colour in an application like Irfanview or Microsoft Picture Manager to match the output from C1 or Photoshop? The latter 2 apps show the colours correctly from my i1-calibrated monitor, but the 1st 2 don't. I read somewhere that the monitor profile is not applied across all Windows applications. Is that true?

I am using Windows XP. Have 2 samples to show - 1 in Picture Manager, the other in Photoshop. Notice the blues and the greens - they are different. The one in Photoshop is much nearer the actual print output.

Catch any ball?

In Pic Manager

In Photoshop

I read somewhere that the monitor profile is not applied across all Windows applications. Is that true?

Only software that supports colour management will truly benefit form the calibrated monitor.

Essentially colour management - calibrating the monitor, paper profile is for printing purposes.

Yes, the monitor profile is not applied across all Windows applications. It is all depend on the software whether it supports colour management.

However, if the picture is in sRGB colour space, you should get almost similiar colour regarding which imaging software.

Therefore, if your picture ubin1.jpg contains a colour profile other than sRGB, you will get the right colour in Photoshop but not in Picture Manager.

So, if you want to match the colour in Photoshop and picture manager or other non-colour managed software, you need to convert the picture to sRGB colour space in Photoshop first.

Note : I am not familiar with Picture Manager. I am assuming that it does not support colour management.

Only partly true. If you convert your image to sRGB colour space, even then only the apps which use ICC profiles will display the right colours. If you want all apps on your PC to see the same colours, then you need to profile your monitor and convert the image to your monitor's colour profile. Then all apps on *your* PC, whether they are colour managed or not, will display the same colours.

However, this is not a very good method. Most other machines won't understand your colour profile.

I've tried to standardise all the processing (from C1 to Photoshop) in sRGB. Only the camera captures in Adobe RGB now.

So far, the colours match (more or less) except for the saturation of reds.

I'm trying to use my monitor profile as the working space to see how that works out cos my monitor profile comes quite close to the printed output at Grace labs.

Thanks!