Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSLR upgrade

Default Re: DSLR upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually hor... did you go and touch both cameras? Which one feels better in your hands?

Both 650D and 60D are very very capable camera, both have the capability to take HD video, both have excellent high ISO performance, both are not weather seal (although I suspect the 60D to be better in this area), both have the same number of AF points, both have the same swivel LCD.

What they differ is,

1) 60D is an older model
    2) 60D is heavier than 650D
    3) 60D is faster in term of fps than 650D
    4) 650D had touch screen and had a faster AF rate when doing live view Autofocusing as compare to 60D but still nothing to shut back about.
    5) 60D being a semi-pro camera came with 1 dial and 1 wheel, and if you are used to that, it is very difficult to go back to entry level cam.
    6) 60D had a top panel LCD which I find highly useful

So... it all boils down to your personal preferences. If I was to choose, I will go for the 60D, because I have no use for touch screen, I want more speed (fps), I like the 1 dial and 1 wheel (faster operation), I find the top panel LCD very very useful.
    Oh no... after I go touch both camera now my choice change to 60D and 7D
    1. agree that touch screen is not that useful after hand-on feel. (did not like it after trying)
    2. 60D do have some added point when shooting on lower and higher level view
    3. Auto focus on video mode is not really a plus point as there is final focusing before focus lock (I do prefer manually focus when hand-on try)
    4. for top panel LCD still dont really know what is the good and bad point

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Do you *really* think you will get noticeably better high ISO performance? As for HD video, are you prepared to manual focus? A compact camera or even any modern cellphone will be easier to use for HD video.

As for high ISO, it's really easy to check:
    Canon Rebel T3 / EOS 1100D Review: Digital Photography Review

(just replace one of the other 3 cameras with the 1000D)

You might even find your older camera to be better than a 1100D in some aspects.
    Wow.... 1100D seem to have very good noise reduction and image at iso 1600

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Based on Dxomark.com, the camera sensor rating for low light ISO is as follows (higher numbers are better);
    Canon 1000D : 719 ISO
    Canon 650D : 722 ISO (only a marginal improvement over the 1000D)
    Canon 60D : 813 ISO

If you are considering other brands, Nikon D5100 has an excellent score of 1183 ISO in this regard.

Moving to the newer full frame sensor DSLRs will of course provide an even bigger improvement in low light ISO quality.
    what about 7D?

Quote Originally Posted by hlkh78

what about 7D?
    Same 18mp sensor that Canon re-used in a lot of models.

You can go to dxo and check the score for yourself if you are interested.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Same 18mp sensor that Canon re-used in a lot of models.

You can go to dxo and check the score for yourself if you are interested.
    No. 7D and 60D had different sensor, despite them being 18MP
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by hlkh78 View Post
    Oh no... after I go touch both camera now my choice change to 60D and 7D
    1. agree that touch screen is not that useful after hand-on feel. (did not like it after trying)
    2. 60D do have some added point when shooting on lower and higher level view
    3. Auto focus on video mode is not really a plus point as there is final focusing before focus lock (I do prefer manually focus when hand-on try)
    4. for top panel LCD still dont really know what is the good and bad point
    Well... I love the top panel LCD, check some of my setting like metering, ISO value, etc etc on it lots of time other than needing to look at my LCD... recently I seldom look at my LCD even for preview purposes.

I am using a 7D btw. It is a good camera, very good low light performance, but I have read somewhere that 60D is slightly better in this area... plus 60D had a swivel screen which is very good in many instnaces such as when you are shooting at weird angles. 7D however is better in term of weather sealing and also had faster framerate (good for sports photography). I just been through a big rain and my 7D survived, and i saw what others do to their 7D and it survived too.

Anyway, my girlfriend is using the 60D, and I played with it lots of time, indeed it is lighter when compared to 7D, love the swivel screen, had the same excellent movie features as the 7D, etc etc.

So both camera are actually very capable, just which one suits you better...

If low light performance is of the utmost importance to you, I would still recommend that you wait a while longer and get the Canon 6D (although I would believe that AF wise, it might not be as good as the 7D). But it is FF and lowlight performance will be much better when compared to the 7D.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by hlkh78 View Post
    what about 7D?
    7D is 854 ISO, slightly better than the 60D.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12