Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR upgrade

Default DSLR upgrade

Hi All,
    I have been using 1000D since end 2009
    And recent I have a itch to upgrade to 650D or 60D for beta iso performance for low light and HD video, but I seldom use my dslr unless got occasion or event for the fun of it.
    Need help from old bird here to advice on which is more practical and better choice
    Canon 7D, Canon 1000D, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 OS HSM, Canon 50 F1.8, Nissin 466, Canon EX 320

Default Re: DSLR upgrade

seldom use? less than 10 time a year?

than rent it when needed, still cheaper then own one of the latest model each year.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by hlkh78 View Post
    Hi All,
    And recent I have a itch to upgrade to 650D or 60D for beta iso performance for low light and HD video, but I seldom use my dslr unless got occasion or event for the fun of it.
    Need help from old bird here to advice on which is more practical and better choice
    get 5D3

As a casual user, I think you'll be happy with the 650D, though both would serve you well.

Ask yourself if you want a slightly larger, heavier body with more direct controls, slightly larger viewfinder, bigger buffer and perhaps more responsive operation -- that would be the 60D. If you're happy with the current controls on the 1000D, then the 650D would fit you.

There is little practical difference in the image quality (low or high res) -- they're both APS-C sensor DSLRs only a year or two apart. Dunno too much about video performance, but the 650D and STM kit lenses are supposed to have some advantage there.

If you have the desire to upgrade, then just do so.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

If you only have the kit lens til now, then I would suggest u look into the idea of changing brand/system, and sell away ur current gear. Don't have to have the mindset that must upgrade same brand.

You may also consider Eos m, or other mirrorless. Chances are, u may end up shooting more than what u used to be after changing to a lighter setup.
    hi

Hi All,
    Actually hor... did you go and touch both cameras? Which one feels better in your hands?

Both 650D and 60D are very very capable camera, both have the capability to take HD video, both have excellent high ISO performance, both are not weather seal (although I suspect the 60D to be better in this area), both have the same number of AF points, both have the same swivel LCD.

What they differ is,

1) 60D is an older model
    2) 60D is heavier than 650D
    3) 60D is faster in term of fps than 650D
    4) 650D had touch screen and had a faster AF rate when doing live view Autofocusing as compare to 60D but still nothing to shut back about.
    5) 60D being a semi-pro camera came with 1 dial and 1 wheel, and if you are used to that, it is very difficult to go back to entry level cam.
    6) 60D had a top panel LCD which I find highly useful

So... it all boils down to your personal preferences. If I was to choose, I will go for the 60D, because I have no use for touch screen, I want more speed (fps), I like the 1 dial and 1 wheel (faster operation), I find the top panel LCD very very useful.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi All,
    Do you *really* think you will get noticeably better high ISO performance? As for HD video, are you prepared to manual focus? A compact camera or even any modern cellphone will be easier to use for HD video.

As for high ISO, it's really easy to check:
    Canon Rebel T3 / EOS 1100D Review: Digital Photography Review

(just replace one of the other 3 cameras with the 1000D)

You might even find your older camera to be better than a 1100D in some aspects.
    Alpha

If it makes you happy just do it.

Sometimes you just want to spend money and indulge in spending, regardless you need the item or if the item is beneficial or not, doesn't matter.

Upon regret, can always sell at BNS.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

B B B !
    actually, have you considered using a tripod, mono pod ?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Based on Dxomark.com, the camera sensor rating for low light ISO is as follows (higher numbers are better);
    Canon 1000D : 719 ISO
    Canon 650D : 722 ISO (only a marginal improvement over the 1000D)
    Canon 60D : 813 ISO

If you are considering other brands, Nikon D5100 has an excellent score of 1183 ISO in this regard.

Moving to the newer full frame sensor DSLRs will of course provide an even bigger improvement in low light ISO quality.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Based on Dxomark.com, the camera sensor rating for low light ISO is as follows (higher numbers are better);
    Canon 1000D : 719 ISO
    Canon 650D : 722 ISO (only a marginal improvement over the 1000D)
    Canon 60D : 813 ISO

If you are considering other brands, Nikon D5100 has an excellent score of 1183 ISO in this regard.

Moving to the newer full frame sensor DSLRs will of course provide an even bigger improvement in low light ISO quality.
    Phase One FTW

One good tool to use is the one provided by Dpreview,

Canon EOS 60D Review: Digital Photography Review

Actually when I look through that, I don't see terribly too much difference in between different brands of camera regardless what DXOmark had mentioned (from that, I tends not to trust too much at what DXOmark).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

Actually when I look through that, I don't see terribly too much difference in between different brands of camera regardless what DXOmark had mentioned (from that, I tends not to trust too much at what DXOmark).
    Things that DXOmark tests are to scale an image to the same dimensions as others. That's why a 36MP camera can do so well, because once the image is resized to dimensions that can be compared with other sensors, a lot of the noise "vanishes". But it's still fair, because we don't always only stare at our 36MP images at 100%, right? We resize them for upload/delivery, we print them, etc etc.

Also, DXO tests for dynamic range (though this has a different result rating) and this is, for now, an area where Canon needs to catch up on. They've had susceptibility to highlight clipping for a few years now.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

Phase One FTW
    Haha! I don't think Phase One sensors will fare too well in high ISO!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    The phase one IQ180 (180 MP!!) scored 966.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    who's talking about High ISO?

i want to upgrade, so i upgrade, lor.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

This is the high ISO (12800) comparison using the DPreview tool that you suggested, which pretty much confirms what was posted previously. The higher image quality from the full frame sensor of the 5D Mk3 is very apparent. The image from the Nikon D5100 has more detail than the Canon 60D and 650D but is noisier, while noise suppression of the Canon 60D and 650D has obliterated some fine detail.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Things that DXOmark tests are to scale an image to the same dimensions as others. That's why a 36MP camera can do so well, because once the image is resized to dimensions that can be compared with other sensors, a lot of the noise "vanishes". But it's still fair, because we don't always only stare at our 36MP images at 100%, right? We resize them for upload/delivery, we print them, etc etc.

Also, DXO tests for dynamic range (though this has a different result rating) and this is, for now, an area where Canon needs to catch up on. They've had susceptibility to highlight clipping for a few years now.
    Yes and that is a primary reason i changed system. If you look at nikon d800 it has amazing DR, not to mention a couple of Pentax as well (never did comparisons with other brands so can't comment). I'm not sure how valid these tests are, but even a Pentax KX has better DR than Canon 5D2. But then again, i take these tests with a pinch of salt since it may not be entirely representative of the real world situation i guess?

awacs warn of n v c coming
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast