Thread: SD Card. Which to buy?

Default SD Card. Which to buy?

I want to get a 1Gig SD Card.

Which should I get? In term of Performance and value for money?

1. KingMax SD Platinium
    2. Kingston SD Card
    3. Twinmos Ultra-X SD

I want to use it for my Canon Ixus 40 Camera.. Any advice?

Is it necessary to pay more to buy FAST Speed SD?

I guess any card will do. It seems that your camera is not really going to shoot at 5fps so it does not really make a lot of difference when it comes to speed. So I think the best is to buy value for money card.

go for sandisk

Panasonic Pro 1GB ain't bad, but costly. You decide.

The usual brands Kingston, Lexar, SanDisk should all be OK for IXUS 40. I use SanDisk & it is fine so far.

sandisk, kingston, lexar....

Quote Originally Posted by liangtam
    Hi, I have just bought a Canon Ixus 700 and can take video up to 60fps and the manual has something about high speed SD card. How much does a Panasonic SD 1GB card costs and where can I get it from in Singapore ? I have read from iPhoto that high speed SD cards should be used, thus does it make any differences if I want to take video at the highest specs ?

Sorry, too many questions for my first posts.

Quote Originally Posted by liangtam
    What's the speed like? Where and how much is it available for?

Thanks

I think the issue of speed come up when transferring from the SD card to the computer. So it is good to get a high speed one, especially if it is high capacity.

I bought a 1GB SD card (Microdia) a couple of months ago. Taiwan made, I think. Not bad, no problems yet.

I am using a Kingmax(maroon color one) on my PDA...so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    go for sandisk
    2nd that... normal sandisk 1GB actually faster than normal SD cards. in my test it is at least as fast as 45X SD cards, so why pay more for less reliable brands that are 'faster'?

Avoid Kingston. They are slow. Sandisk, Lexar and Toshiba are the ones to go for IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    I am using a Kingmax(maroon color one) on my PDA...so far so good
    PDA have not release the full power of the SD card, so not much diff which brand to use with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsjcsl
    I think the issue of speed come up when transferring from the SD card to the computer. So it is good to get a high speed one, especially if it is high capacity.
    Also makes a difference if you shoot in burst mode (depending on how many shots and what your camera buffer can handle). I have a 40x and 80x Lexar CF. Didn't think there was any difference (and didn't really experience any difference) until one day I shot continuously, not in burst mode, but just kept pressing the shutter in single shot. After shooting like that for awhile, and switching cards, it seemed like the 40x was indeed slower in writing when the camera buffer filled up. Wasn't timing the response or anything like that, but I had to stop shooting for awhile for the buffer to clear.

[QUOTE=twilight]I want to get a 1Gig SD Card.

1. KingMax SD Platinium
    2. Kingston SD Card
    3. Twinmos Ultra-X SD
    QUOTE]

I use a Kingmax SD Platinium 512MB on my Pentax *istDS.. So far I like it performance... I can shoot continuously for at least 8 frame. And will continue at a slow frame-rate thereafter...

Quote Originally Posted by Caras
    Also makes a difference if you shoot in burst mode (depending on how many shots and what your camera buffer can handle). I have a 40x and 80x Lexar CF. Didn't think there was any difference (and didn't really experience any difference) until one day I shot continuously, not in burst mode, but just kept pressing the shutter in single shot. After shooting like that for awhile, and switching cards, it seemed like the 40x was indeed slower in writing when the camera buffer filled up. Wasn't timing the response or anything like that, but I had to stop shooting for awhile for the buffer to clear.
    Plus, when shooting movies using digicams. If the speed is slow, there goes your movie.