Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praktica SLR

Buy from eBay... there's where I got my Praktica MTL3. Sturdy, solid body, but the meter doesn't really work ( I use a handheld one, or otherwise guess my exposure.) M42 mount has great lenses, especially the Pentax SMC Takumars... superb build quality. They can also take Pentacon6 lenses meant for medium format -- that means you can use legendary lenses like the 180mm Carl Zeiss Sonnar, etc. Lenses in M42 mount definitely cheaper than modern AF lenses; and afaik they don't lose out in quality for the most part.

Just a point to note,

If it's going to be mainly NEGATIVES being used, especially typical consumer col neg films in the ASA 100 - 400 range, the exposure latitude of these films are more than forgiving enough even if your camera has a metering problem.

If the user is going to shoot trans at any time, ahh ... then accurate metering becomes critical.

When I used to shoot negs in the old days, I generally underxposed it by 3/4 - 1-1/2 stops for max detail saturation, but very, very often, it didn't make an iota of difference in my prints up to 8 or Super 8R cos the blardy lab techs always adjusted everything for me (even when I didn't want them to!).

Frankly, if $$$ was tight, I would rather pick up 2 or 3 2nd hand OM-1s, a Practica or even an old manual Pentax/Minolta/Yashica ANYTIME over a modern consumer AF SLR. The lenses are going to be a whole lot cheaper anyways (except for zuiko lenses in good condition)! Just choose bodies with shutters in good condition and screw (no pun intended to 42s!) the metering system if you're going to shoot mainly negs for most 'everyday' kind of photography.

hmmmm ..... Praktica Pmount is M42 Screw mount ........ ....... Whoever told you Pmount is better then M42 Screw mount when they are the same thing ?

The only different M42 Screwmount I come to really know that does not work with other bodies probably is Fujica M42 Screwmount

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Just a point to note,

If it's going to be mainly NEGATIVES being used, especially typical consumer col neg films in the ASA 100 - 400 range, the exposure latitude of these films are more than forgiving enough even if your camera has a metering problem.

If the user is going to shoot trans at any time, ahh ... then accurate metering becomes critical.

When I used to shoot negs in the old days, I generally underxposed it by 3/4 - 1-1/2 stops for max detail saturation, but very, very often, it didn't make an iota of difference in my prints up to 8 or Super 8R cos the blardy lab techs always adjusted everything for me (even when I didn't want them to!).

Frankly, if $$$ was tight, I would rather pick up 2 or 3 2nd hand OM-1s, a Practica or even an old manual Pentax/Minolta/Yashica ANYTIME over a modern consumer AF SLR. The lenses are going to be a whole lot cheaper anyways (except for zuiko lenses in good condition)! Just choose bodies with shutters in good condition and screw (no pun intended to 42s!) the metering system if you're going to shoot mainly negs for most 'everyday' kind of photography.
    Hee hee~! Another zuiko lover!!

Hmm.... why do you choose to underexpose on negs, when overexposing would give more details especially to the shadow areas? (at least that's the case in B&W film!)

All M42 mount is the same, pentax, praktica, exakta and others have the same m42 mount.

Nah Praktica MTL50: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

6hr to go, currently us$7.65

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    All M42 mount is the same, pentax, praktica, exakta and others have the same m42 mount.
    Try to mount a fujica lens onto any other M42 mount body and chances are it would not work properly ;d

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Try to mount a fujica lens onto any other M42 mount body and chances are it would not work properly ;d
    I think only fujica ebc with auto-indexing version only. correct me if i'm wrong. how abt auto-indexing takumar? i tot same issue also. they are m42 but only for spotmatic spf etc. not sure also, need expert advice.
    Last edited by whoelse; 28th February 2005 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    I not fujica expert. But as a M42 mount it should fit. In your case the treading mount might be worn off or there a slight mechical design different I have seem fujica lens on pentax spotmatic and they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    I not fujica expert. But as a M42 mount it should fit. In your case the treading mount might be worn off or there a slight mechical design different I have seem fujica lens on pentax spotmatic and they work fine.
    Not all 42mm screw mount cameras and lenses are compatible with each other, primarily due to metering lugs on some lenses which interfere with lens mounting on some 42mm screw mount bodies. For instance, the excellent multicoated Fujinon screw mount lenses will not mount on some 42mm bodies unless the metering lug is ground off. But a Spotmatic and Bessaflex should be fine as they have the metering lugs. Some (or rather most) russian M42 body does not have the metering lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Hee hee~! Another zuiko lover!!

Hmm.... why do you choose to underexpose on negs, when overexposing would give more details especially to the shadow areas? (at least that's the case in B&W film!)
    Yeah...tell me about it!

I gave up my entire Canon system back then including A-1s, AE-1s, AE-1 P and a motordriven F1n for the 4ti/OM-2/1! Since the 4 was my worksorse, it got bashed till it eneded up being held together with masking tape! Hahahaha. In the end kenar stolen KNN(^*&#)@xzx&@x*&(*xz&_(xz!!!!!

I still have one miserable zuiko 135 f3.5 and I still can't believe the crispness, contrast and feel of this lens!

Dunno ... back in the 80's, I heard that slight overexposure on the then available neg amature films generally gave better detail. It was so long ago that I may have been mistaken (ah pek liao ).

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Patch always find treasure in CC when he was still in Singapore... luckily he'd relocated, else he would sure sweep up all the treasures!

I did see a Yashica Electro GSN at TPY CC at $15 three days ago. Wasn't tempted by it though... too small!
    hahaha...well cheat, one man's junk is my treasure.

GSN "small"??? this beast is freakin big for an RF and pretty heavy too. hmm... $15, good price, even if just or parts.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

I got a black Yashica Electro GX from an Ah Pek for S$20 at Thief Market sometime ago

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12