Thread: Does Nikon Magnesium camera bodies corrode over time?

Default Does Nikon Magnesium camera bodies corrode over time?

Hi, just wondering if those nikon camera bodies made of magnesium bodies corrode overtime especially if there is paint chips or sweaty palms?

Cheers

Default Re: Does Nikon Magnesium camera bodies corrode over time?

Quote Originally Posted by IluvDYL View Post
    Hi, just wondering if those nikon camera bodies made of magnesium bodies corrode overtime especially if there is paint chips or sweaty palms?

Cheers
    don't think so. my d200 is pretty beat up and has had chips in the paint and mg alloy since 5 years ago. can't see any issues.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Alpha

I have worked with this material in my previous job. Yes it will corrode but certainly would not based on the way that we use our camera and not in our lifetime of owning it.

Quote Originally Posted by KYFoong View Post
    I have worked with this material in my previous job. Yes it will corrode but certainly would not based on the way that we use our camera and not in our lifetime of owning it.
    Even with sweaty palms?

Blog Entries

Cheers
    Give it two to three hundred years, of course it will corrode.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvDYL

Even with sweaty palms?
    Dude... I really think it is fine. And that you may want to refresh your 'O' level chemistry.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Dude... I really think it is fine. And that you may want to refresh your 'O' level chemistry.
    O Level Chemistry taught about corrosion of magnesium alloy meh ?
    Anyway lots of ignorant people (even with 'proper' qualifications) think that stainless steel will not corrode as well
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

O Level Chemistry taught about corrosion of magnesium alloy meh ?
    Anyway lots of ignorant people (even with 'proper' qualifications) think that stainless steel will not corrode as well
    Not the specifics, but at least understand the basics of corrosion mah. Haha!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

most dslr owners will change their dslr every 2-3 yrs becos you just need to

not sure how long TS want to use it for ??

Plus, considering how long we have already had magnesium camera bodies, by now you could do a Google search for "Nikon body corroded magnesium" and there would be results already.
    Alpha

Don't worry about corrosion of magnesium body. By the time the body starts corroding, other parts of the camera has gone kaput.
    And the service center will no longer maintain parts inventory for that camera model so you can just kiss your camera goodbye
    Last edited by fatigue; 16th November 2012 at 02:16 AM.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Even with sweaty palms?
    No way you can corrode the material no matter what the composition of your sweat may be. I really think that the answer from Fatigue is real and factual.

Are you thinking of leaving one soaked in a bucket of sweat for an extended period of time Maybe you are thinking of cosmetic discolouration/staining? That's more plausible, but quite different from corrosion.

More likely victims of your sweat are the parts made of rubber, and the adhesives that hold the rubber to the body.

Cheers
    Any metal can and will IF not cared for.......
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Don't worry about corrosion of magnesium body. By the time the body starts corroding, other parts of the camera has gone kaput.
    And the service center will no longer maintain parts inventory for that camera model so you can just kiss your camera goodbye
    Exactly !!
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Just took my O's a few days ago, textbook says pure Magnesium is very reactive, in the upper reactivity series leh, reliable? LOL!
    Anyway, my dad's 19 year old F4 which has parts of the paint scratched off is still shiny, no corrosion whatsoever. I am pretty sure with the rate which digital cams are launched, you won't be having the camera long enough to worry about corrosion.

My D2X is near 8 years old, alive and kicking, no corrosion.

You worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    Just took my O's a few days ago, textbook says pure Magnesium is very reactive, in the upper reactivity series leh, reliable? LOL!
    Anyway, my dad's 19 year old F4 which has parts of the paint scratched off is still shiny, no corrosion whatsoever. I am pretty sure with the rate which digital cams are launched, you won't be having the camera long enough to worry about corrosion.
    Haha yes pure magnesium is highly reactive. And quite soft too.
    Hence magnesium is alloyed with various materials to improve different characteristics. Not sure which particular alloy of magnesium is used in Nikon camera bodies. I presume corrosion resistance would be one of their selection criteria
    Exploring! :)